859     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 774     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 324     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
What he said wasn't sexist. It was crude.

What? How is saying, I have a great sex life with my wife objectifying his wife?

I'm not defending him, what he said was crude and vulgar, but it wasn't sexist or objectifying anyone.

He didn't say he has a great sex life with his wife, he said "I have enough to eat at home". Oh, my heart be still....

What? How is saying, I have a great sex life with my wife objectifying his wife?

I'm not defending him, what he said was crude and vulgar, but it wasn't sexist or objectifying anyone.

The way it could be interpreted is that his wife is there for his sexual pleasure, and she has no other purpose. Then he trots her out to stand in shame beside him while he shamelessly fake-aplogizes.

Except he didn't say that he has a great sex life with his wife. He said "I have more than enough [pussy] to eat at home". Translation: my wife=pussy. Which is objectification. Plus, if the allegations are true, what he said to his staff member was obviously sexist. How is it all of a sudden not sexist when he says the same thing about his wife?

Then he objectified her even more by having her stand in as a prop in his press conference and the obviously planned exit through the media scrum.

Last edited:
I can't answer all, but…

Does the city get its mandate from the province? Can the province actually pass legislation that says that's it, time for a new mayor?

Municipalities are considered creatures of the Province. I believe at any time the Province can (with a majority vote) dissolve a municipal government. Technically, they don't unseat the mayor, but the entire government. And because a municipality cannot lack a government, an election is instantly called. Not sure what happens in the interim, but it'd be a MUCH shorter campaign period. As an alternative, I believe they can also instate interim seat fillers.

What are these 'tools' it may give the province? Will Hudak stand up for Ford or cut him lose?

Re: Tools; I suspect some sort of super-majority vote of non-confidence amendment to the City of Toronto Act, i.e.; if ⅔ of council votes to unseat Ford, it would authorize the Province to vacate the seat (and not the entire government).

Hudak is toast if he sticks up for Ford. He might still try and stick up for Doug, but why waste the energy and risk the potential scandal if Rob gets taken down by the Law.

As a woman, I found his remarks this morning to be both crude and offensive. It was misogynistic and demeaning. It went far beyond crude. It' s not about the word pussy, it's about his entire attitude towards women. He said that suggesting he was with a prostitute was offensive to his wife and then he made that remark which was far more offensive. I have seen and heard many people who were extremely offended by the remark and everything it conveyed.

Does anyone know what "sober Rob" looks like?

teenfido.jpg

As a woman, I found his remarks this morning to be both crude and offensive. It was misogynistic and demeaning. It went far beyond crude. It' s not about the word pussy, it's about his entire attitude towards women. He said that suggesting he was with a prostitute was offensive to his wife and then he made that remark which was far more offensive. I have seen and heard many people who were extremely offended by the remark and everything it conveyed.

This is totally fair and obviously you have a perspective on it I don't. He is obviously deeply misogynistic, as the Sarah Thomson stuff and the ITO stuff show. And so certainly outside a vacuum his remarks today would further that perception. I still think him saying that (this morning, not his general attitude toward women) is not as bad as what he did to that cab driver, NOT because I think racism is worse than sexism but because I just think that instance of racism was worse than this instance of misogyny. Although, now that I think about it, if you take the whole context beyond just the pussy remark - the humiliation of parading his wife up there as a prop to show he is happily married to the provider of his "pussy" meals, the level of humiliation is probably as bad if not worse than what that cab driver felt that night.... AAAAH okay I'm just going to stop. I'm turned around on this issue - you can't quantify one person's feelings of being demeaned and humiliated over another's. It's all bad. He really, really sucks.

You guys are too much. So if a woman says, I don't need to go to male strip clubs because I've got a stud of a husband at home that's sexist? Gimme a break.

It was incredibly crude and vulgar but he was not objectifying his wife. Or saying she has no other purpose in life but a sexual one. You guys are being ridiculous.

Anyway, I'm finally anti-Ford too. There are ya happy?

It's all bad. He really, really sucks.
It is and he does

And the reason the racist remarks aren't getting as much traction is because there is no sound bite. It's words on paper. But he said the other remarks very publicly in the same statement where he claimed offence for his wife. That video and audio clip has been playing over and over all day. If we had audio/video of a racist remark, it would absolutely gain traction

To use your example, it would have been 'I don't need to watch the Chippendales because there's a big cock waiting for me at home'. Sorry for the crudeness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back