News   Jun 28, 2024
 2K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 714     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ford-laughs.gif

What a gift to us from Ford. Thanks Rob. This clip is going to show up frequently in the next 3 years.

Last edited:
. I probably wouldn't recognize Rob Ford if he walked by me either. He's not exactly a memorable or distinctive looking person,

LOL...anything to make your case, eh?

I think you're being charitable in your interpretation, Bruvyman. I don't see how his comment makes sense with the meaning you give. I wouldn't recognizing Rohinton Mistry, and couldn't pick out a picture of Marshall McLuhan or Northrop Frye, but I know they're important local figures. How does it undercut the importance of their opinions to say that one can't identify them physically?

But in any case, I disagree that either Ford or Atwood are not "distinctive" or "memorable" people. Both of them have been in the news quite a lot, and both are fairly prominent in local circles.

Exactly. He doesn't KNOW her. I don't KNOW him either, but I know who he is. I probably wouldn't recognize Rob Ford if he walked by me either. He's not exactly a memorable or distinctive looking person, and frankly, either is she.

You couldn't miss the guy if you tried. If you find you're being sucked towards a large object, it's probably Ford. He's huge.

I think you're being charitable in your interpretation, Bruvyman. I don't see how his comment makes sense with the meaning you give. I wouldn't recognizing Rohinton Mistry, and couldn't pick out a picture of Marshall McLuhan or Northrop Frye, but I know they're important local figures. How does it undercut the importance of their opinions to say that one can't identify them physically?

But in any case, I disagree that either Ford or Atwood are not "distinctive" or "memorable" people. Both of them have been in the news quite a lot, and both are fairly prominent in local circles.

I am just taking the quote at face-value and interpreting it as I understand it. I meant distinct and memorable in their appearance only. If Shaquille O'neil walked by me, I would definitely recognize him because of the obvious. If Colin Farrel walked by me (since he happens to be in town right now), I might recognize him, but other than being a handsome guy, there is nothing that would clue me in to who he is and I probably would take no notice. That's all I meant. Margaret Atwood looks fairly average and I am fairly sure I wouldn't recognize her either unless I was looking for her.

Assuming that $100 per day and 57,000 passengers are accurate input no mention is made that there is more than one streetcar on the route

You are correct about my failing to factor in the number of streetcars in service. It varies from a high of 41 during morning peak to a low of 12 for late night service. I think your average of 30 is reasonable. Not that being overly accurate about this is going to change the outcome much...we are still talking about a couple of pennies worth of fuel (electricity) per passenger trip, and the carbon footprint per passenger trip would be infinitesimally small, especially when compared to the single car driver in congestion on city streets.

the operator cost must be factored in or the streetcar is a giant doorstop.

That's another topic of course. The discussion here was the poster's assertion that streetcar passengers account for a large amount of energy and carbon footprint, and are the cause of congestion, and that the fuel tax somehow makes car-driving a neutral factor in all this, which is of course, completely absurd.

I'm not surprised

Whoah ... what's up with the disrespectful snarkiness? What have I done to offend?

After reading my post I understand what you meant... I wrote that I wouldn't recognize ROB Ford. I meant Doug Ford...my bad. But again, what "case" are you talking about? Have I expressed ANY agenda in this thread?

Have I expressed ANY agenda in this thread?

Oh no, you've been completely neutral in your opinions expressed, you haven't made any general sweeping statements, and you pose no leading questions.

Oh no, you've been completely neutral in your opinions expressed, you haven't made any general sweeping statements, and you pose no leading questions.

Thank-you (though I think I detect some sarcasm).

The only statement I made was that Doug Ford never said that he does not know who Margaret Atwood is but rather that he does not know her. I believe that to be an important distinction. Does that somehow give me an agenda?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back