News   Jun 28, 2024
 2.1K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 736     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
e73af52545298944f1dea615f250.jpeg

This is Rob Ford pulling out of the CTV parking lot after an interview. The CTV building is located at 299 Queen St. West, a mere 2 blocks away from City Hall at 100 Queen St. West. Nothing better exemplifies his policies towards a walkable, cycle-able city as this photo.

Yeah, I don't think Rob Ford wants to walk around the city. He doesn't really like jeers and boos.

It's a great plan. I knew Markham was pushing forward though i always had doubts about Vaughan and Richmond Hill. Though after reading quickly from other sources as well, it seems to be moving slowly. Other than provincial funding what are the communities doing to get the necessary funding?

Good question about local funding. I'll look into that.

Now with a plan such as that, why is Richmond Hill asking to have the Yonge line pushed north. I see that as a waste of money. Is the grey line running up on Yonge supposed to be the subway?
http://www.vivanext.com/system_map

The stretch from Yonge up to Highway 7 is the subway extension; the proposed Yonge subway extension and it was outlined by a report put out by Viva named The Missing Link. I'm on the fence about that extension. Personally, I feel that the two extensions into Vaughan/Richmond Hill tackles the issues that we've been speaking of here. If Toronto feels that alot of the congestion is brought on by vehicles in York Region; then linking the subway with York Regions transit is a very good solution. Also Toronto won't have to foot the bill to build the subway entirely, York Region foots the bill north of Steeles, rightfully so.

But then you face the capacity issues on the Yonge Line, which is already a problem. If the Yonge extension is a hit, who knows how many more people will funnel on to the line from Richmond Hill and so forth.

Also, Toronto had a transit plan, though it needed some tweeking. We both know what happened to that.

We've been saying that since the 1970's. :(

What about the eastern suburbs? Will they rely on GO? And if so, what's the issue with GO? I have too many people at work living out in Ajax and Pickering who still drive to work.

Not sure really.. I follow the TTC, Viva and YRT closely..

Yeah, I don't think Rob Ford wants to walk around the city. He doesn't really like jeers and boos.

looking at that photo, i really think he should start walking. he doesn't look too good.
early 40's 5'10 and almost 300 lbs, he needs to take his health seriously.

Ford says he wants to hear from Torontonians but he does everything he can to avoid them. He'd never walk down a street and have to deal with real people, the way Miller did. I once saw Miller on the subway, just quietly going about his business. It would be a cold day in hell before we see Ford doing something like that. lol

looking at that photo, i really think he should start walking. he doesn't look too good.
early 40's 5'10 and almost 300 lbs, he needs to take his health seriously.
True, he does - but that has little to do with him not wanting to show up for a TV interview like a sweaty mess, walking 4 blocks in the recent heat, or whether he was even going directly to/from City Hall with his van when that picture was taken. But any opportunity to smear the guy is OK on UT, apparently.

About this whole transit issue in Toronto. A friend of mine, who's super pro transit and loves this city to death has changed her attitudes lately.

She became so fed up with commute times on the TTC, delays and dealing with people she went out a couple of years ago and bought an ebike. She never looked back. In the winter she'd put the bike into storage and go back to the TTC. Last year she she finally announced that she's done with the TTC for good and is shopping for her first car.

She just can't handle the the declining quality of our transit system and that it takes forever to travel across this city using it.

Where's she going? I'm always in love with these anecdotes -- they're so generic that they could be about anything, anywhere. Here's mine, with a little added value like the truth: "About this whole transit issue in Toronto. A friend of mine (me... but I'm a big fan of me, so I'll 'friend' myself), who's not particularly pro transit but finds it convenient and cheap, hasn't changed his attitude lately.

"He commutes by taking the 72 Pape bus to Carlaw/Queen and then hopping a streetcar or the 503 bus. Both are reasonably empty each morning, but he leaves early. He comes back on the 504, which is usually very busy during the evening rush, but calms down after the Sherbourne exodus. He has no intention of ever getting a second car (his wife has the car for her home-based business) as the TTC is such a great value.

"In his opinion, the only thing that has declined in the quality of the transit system is the percentage of passengers who feel the need to litter the floor of the streetcars, despite a recycling bin at pretty much every stop. If the passengers would carry their own garbage off the car, that would help everyone out."

Given today's Metro(?) article on transit riders going up across the nation (TTC +1% or so), I expect transit is a preferred option by many people. IMHO, people who complain about the TTC then complain about the roads, the bike lanes, or the airport lounges. It's what they like to do.

To add to your outrage:

Janet Davis posted this on Twitter.... DFord - would close his local library Richview "in a heartbeat" said "my residents won't care." They could "go 2 miles" to another one.

Today’s committee meeting: "Ford Nation" is "too busy working, paying taxes, creating jobs to show up at city hall, "Doug Ford says.

Also, Doug Ford says Margaret Atwood should get "democratically elected" in the next election and he'd be happy to sit down and listen to her

DFord: "Margaret Atwood, I wouldn't recognize her if she walked right past. If she wants to talk about libraries, she can run for office."

"Why don't we get Wal-Mart in here to teach our procurement folks how to procure properly?" offers Doug Ford

October 27, 2014 is 1189 days away.

To add to your outrage:

Janet Davis posted this on Twitter.... DFord - would close his local library Richview "in a heartbeat" said "my residents won't care." They could "go 2 miles" to another one.

Hmm, Richview has increased its hours twice in the past few years. That generally happens based on demand. I suspect people would care if it were closed.

To add to your outrage:

Today’s committee meeting: "Ford Nation" is "too busy working, paying taxes, creating jobs to show up at city hall, "Doug Ford says.

Also, Doug Ford says Margaret Atwood should get "democratically elected" in the next election and he'd be happy to sit down and listen to her

DFord: "Margaret Atwood, I wouldn't recognize her if she walked right past. If she wants to talk about libraries, she can run for office."

"Why don't we get Wal-Mart in here to teach our procurement folks how to procure properly?" offers Doug Ford

October 27, 2014 is 1189 days away.

Is all of this true?

Two miles is pretty far to have to travel to a library, especially for a youngster. What a thing to say. I'm not surprised, just disappointed that someone like that can get elected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back