1.7K     12 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 653     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Goldsbie's latest on the Fords:

"Our year of magical thinking -
The Fords’ combo of delusion and dishonesty is beautiful in its ambition – they think they can bend reality"

"Our great civic pride and shame is that our mayor is simultaneously a simple-minded man-child and an utter cipher with a terrifying dark side and bottomless well of secrets."

"In just over three years, Ford has risen from an idiot nuisance on a municipal council to a person Jon Stewart earnestly begs to seek help for his own sake.
There are times he makes me ashamed of Toronto. And there are times he makes me love Toronto more than I have ever loved it, the way you share a closeness and a connection with those living through something no one else will ever quite understand."

http://nowtoronto.com/news/story.cfm?content=195209

Any scoop on Lisi's lawyers? I giggled at the way this was written in the Star..."Lisi, who lives in his parents’ basement, has hired lawyer Seth Weinstein, a partner at top criminal defence lawyer Brian Greenspan’s office, to defend him in these proceedings. Weinstein is also now co-counsel on the drug charges alongside Lisi’s lawyer, Domenic Basile." So a man of modest means has two lawyers...I see Basile got in trouble on another case a few years ago.

The Star had an opinion piece today about Ford's lack of shame, and I think that might be his fatal flaw. Ford went to Harper's event last night, just like nothing had happened. I haven't heard whether he managed to speak with Harper, but just the optics of him attending will not sit well with a lot of conservatives. I bet Harper's people were not impressed.

In Hamilton last night, during a Dixie Chicks concert, Ford was laughed at and booed by the audience. Sue-Ann is presently on Twitter defending him, asking for compassion. When has Rob shown any compassion? Give me a break Sue-Ann.

Re: Ford's poll numbers. I understand George W. Bush's approval ratings eventually bottomed out somewhere around 27%, but they simply wouldn't go any lower, no matter how demonstrably he'd run his country into the ground. Of course, that was America, land of the mouth-frothing, far right wing nut. It's disconcerting to realize we have a sizable amount of such creatures among us here, but I have serious doubts about Boss Hogg's support level being as high as 40%. The online polls, in particular, are very easy to spam, and as somebody pointed out already, phone polls taken during week days are going to skew towards older and elderly folks who would lean conservative. I don't doubt Ford's support base of resentful rubes is still rock solid, but it can't be as high as it appears.

As for good ol' "DC," (heh, heh), I'd love for this to be true, but I just can't see a man of Cherry's age getting up to such shenanigans...Then again, when the crack story first appeared on Gawker, I found it difficult to believe, as much as I despised Ford. "How would a pampered, sheltered, lower middle class rich dork like Rob Ford even know where to get his meaty paws on crack?" Then, of course, the Star picked up the story, details began spilling out, and I was like: "Oh. Wow!"

I'll keep an open mind about DC. Stranger things have happened...

True to my downtown elitist nature, I enjoy quite a few NPR programs. It was painfully embarrassing listening to yesterday's broadcast of Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me! The first five minutes or so are dedicated to making fun of Rob Ford and Toronto. It's nothing we haven't heard before but as I said, it's embarrassing.

That said, isn't it those same senior citizens who are more likely to get out and vote than us cellphone toting "youngsters"?

Several of my more conservative friends and acquaintances out here in the Hinterland of east Scarborough have admitted to voting for Ford. They are smart, educated, professional people, that chose to believe the slogans, and felt that he was the only candidate that was promoting a fiscally sound platform. I have had many discussions with people who thought Ford was a "regular guy", they had no idea Ford came from wealth and had been involved in many controversies before becoming mayor. These people will not vote for Ford again, they were bailing on him long before last week, conservative support in my area had moved to Soknacki months ago.

As my late mother would have said about Ford, "he'll be lucky to be elected dog catcher".

Last edited:
I guess when you're a shady individual you have to surround yourself with shadier individuals to hide how shady you are.

I knew most of the common stuff about RF before he was mayor, kept up with the divisiveness, outrageous ideas and scandals since he has been in office, and I have been reading every day since May.

As soon as I saw RF's smirk during his non-denial denial presser in May, I knew he had done something untoward to get that video.

I don't have any friends who have spent time in jail for criminal activity like that (just protesting.:) No one in my family has friends who have spent time in jail for criminal activity. But RF and his family are surrounded by criminals. ....sorry, people who have been engaged in criminal activity. :)

And I am still having hard time believing that our city is basically being run by criminals.

Is Toronto run by the mob?

How could other people in city hall not know....at least on some level? The cops must have known for sure. Just like RF's alcoholism was a badly kept secret at city hall, and councillors/staff were enablers, could they have known about the drug dealing too? And the other possible criminal stuff. Who else at city hall is engaged in it?

Someone a few pages back said thatToronto is growing up. Is waking up and realizing you are in a mad house being run by criminal elements....is that what it means to grow up?

In Hamilton last night, during a Dixie Chicks concert, Ford was laughed at and booed by the audience. Sue-Ann is presently on Twitter defending him, asking for compassion. When has Rob shown any compassion? Give me a break Sue-Ann.

Good. Why is he travelling? I hope it made him cry. If he doesn't understand yet, then he's a lot dumber than anyone could have guessed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Several of my more conservative friends and acquaintances out here in the Hinterland of east Scarborough have admitted to voting for Ford. They are smart, educated, professional people, that chose to believe the slogans, and felt that he was the only candidate that was promoting a fiscally sound platform. I have had many discussions with people who thought Ford was a "regular guy", they had no idea Ford came from wealth and had been involved in many controversies before becoming mayor. These people will not vote for Ford again, they were bailing on him long before last week, conservative support in my area had moved to Soknacki months ago.

As my late mother would have said about Ford, "he'll be lucky to be elected dog catcher".

No offence, but if they believed slogans, they can't possibly be all that intelligent.

Good. Why is he travelling? F------ c---. I hope it made him cry. If he doesn't understand yet, then he's a lot dumber than anyone could have guessed.

HI can you please not use that kind of language? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back