142     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 325     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 687     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're right, the article is lacking in information. It doesn't state anything about the judge setting a date for them to reconvene. So maybe we should just assume that a week was granted? Who knows.

Regarding Lisi, Ford said that he doesn't throw his friends under the bus. And today Doug Ford said Councillor Ainslie threw his constituents under the streetcar.

What's with the Ford's obsession with throwing people under moving vehicles?

One would think so, but the TPA (which is the power behind the TPS throne) have demonstrated time and again that they will not countenance any such house cleaning. It would take an extraordinarily strong politician (i.e. not a Toronto mayor) to effectively clean house at the TPS. It would also get very, very messy. I'm not sure that it could be accomplished by any politician. It's *THAT* bad.

The English-language media in this country seems to view police misconduct as an unfortunate inevitability, even when extremely serious allegations are brought out against them (see the allegations of police physical and sexual abuse of Aboriginal women in northern BC, for example). As I understand it, the French-language media is marginally better at this - I'd imagine due to the legacy of the RCMP's complete overreaction to the FLQ crisis. I've heard through the grapevine that cops haven't been unwilling to intimidate the journalists going after them, and I know from firsthand experience that some self-censorship happens if there's a worry that a story will step on too many powerful toes. It doesn't help that, by and large, the news-reading public refuses to believe stories of corruption, links to organized crime and intimidation, preferring to think that sort of thing just doesn't happen here.

I was hoping (a part of me still is) that this Rob Ford crack scandal was finally going to blow the lid off of the seedy underbelly of public life in Ontario. We cannot afford to be naïve enough to think that what we're learning about through the Charbonneau Commision is a localized phenomenon (that naïveté totally fits in with RoC stereotypes of Quebec, unfortunately).

Regarding Lisi, Ford said that he doesn't throw his friends under the bus. And today Doug Ford said Councillor Ainslie threw his constituents under the streetcar.

What's with the Ford's obsession with throwing people under moving vehicles?

Everything is a catch phrase with the Ford boys. They simply can't speak without:

win,win
skin in the game
throw someone under bus/subway
average guys
folks
respect for the taxpayer
subways, subways, subways

There is about 20 phrases they use over and over, it's quite sad really. I'm sure others can come up with more.

Everything is a catch phrase with the Ford boys. They simply can't speak without:

win,win
skin in the game
throw someone under bus/subway
average guys
folks
respect for the taxpayer
subways, subways, subways

There is about 20 phrases they use over and over, it's quite sad really. I'm sure others can come up with more.

The worst, the worst, is Rob's insane habit of repeating words for emphasis. Does it literally every speech.

The worst, the worst, is Rob's insane habit of repeating words for emphasis. Does it literally every speech.

I don't think it's for emphasis. It's the slogan thing again, he simply doesn't have anything intelligent to say, so he keeps repeating whatever Doug/Whoever tells him to say. Remember, Doug is the smart one in the family, Rob is more athletic .:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back