340     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 451     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.2K     3 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is david price's job? He can't even answer that -- and this is a guy who's under investigation for abusive behavior towards GO transit attendants.

I agree that this, on it's own, is nothing much. BUT when combined with the fact that the mayor was allegedly filmed smoking crack, that he described someone arrested for trafficking as a "friend," that he is under active investigation and surveillance by the Toronto Police, that he was photographed with a person who was murdered in an "execution style" shooting, that he was almost thrown out of office for conflict of interest, that he has been repeatedly rebuked by the integrity commissioner, that there are reports of him drinking a mickey in his car in an LCBO parking lot, that he has refused a driver and has been photographed reading behind the wheel on a highway, you gotta start putting the pieces together.

This is not someone who is demonstating good judgement. Yes, this is a piece of straw, but there is already a huge pile on the camel's back. It's not going to last forever. We hold elected officials to a higher standard, but Rob Ford is failing to even meet normal standards of good conduct and decency.

Good point about David Price. Sometimes I forget how many things there are that he still hasn't answered. Sigh.

Also not only does he call Sandro Lisi a friend, he also claimed Sandro was as clean as a whistle despite the fact that Lisi's been arrested more than a dozen times, albeit only officially charged twice (I think) both for crimes against women. If this is Ford's idea of someone who is "clean as a whistle" then is it any wonder he doesn't see an issue with putting a criminal in charge of teenagers?

ding ding ding! Doug gives to Lisi, Lisi sells to Rob "without" Doug knowing. I imagine Doug has put Rob in quite a few time outs because of his habit.

This would also explain why Doug has been getting crazier and crazier lately. So far, aside from the Globe Hash story, he hasn't really been connected, but as his henchmen go down one after one, it's going to be harder to keep his name out of their mouths. He's totally going to try to pin it on Rob though, or Randy maybe.

Last edited:
Aye aye aye. The fake name means that they didn't make the decision. They couldn't without the correct background information.

That's my point. The problem was that Mr. Peyman used a fake name, not that Ford brought him in for the position. It was up to the school board to decide whether or not he was an appropriate candidate based on his background information. Unfortunately they couldn't do that, but that doesn't necessairly have anything to do with Ford.

It would seem Ford knew he was doing this job under a pseudonym (people were not referring to him by the name Rob would have known him by). One would have to assume Ford would also know why he would be doing it under a pseudonym.

Did he though? My understanding was that this fellow, who has gone by several different aliases, simply changed one letter in the spelling of his name on the application. He didn't create an entirely new fake name for the position - he just switched one letter, essentially circumventing the background checks.

If he brought him in knowing his background - and it seems like he knew his relationship with Lisi - then it's kinda wrong on moral grounds, no?

Not necessairly. It was up to the school board and the school board alone to make that decision. Circumventing the background checks was morally wrong, but there's nothing wrong with somebody simply applying for a position.

If you're so sure this isn't a controversy, how about this: tell us why it's a good thing that Ford brought a guy with a number of assault charges and ties to the drug trade in to help him coach high school kids. Go ahead - defend it... rather than just claim that it's baseless to criticize it.

What is their to defend? Until there's something suggesting Ford was complicit in circumventing the background checks, he did nothing wrong. The issue isn't that Ford brought on somebody with a criminal record - the issue is that said individual circumvented the criminal background check, essentially removing the school board's ability to make an informed decision factoring in the safety of their students. The article itself says that the school board may have approved this guy after a proper background check anyway.

So you don't think Ford had any idea what kind of a guy this was? He just hired a random friend of Sandro Lisi?

This speaks to Ford's judgement -- even in his football team he seems incapable of picking "good" people. I run a small business and I would never in a million years hire someone with arrests for assaulting a peace officer and assault. I wouldn't hire my drug dealer's sketchy, drug dealing friends who lived with their moms either. If these are the people he hires to coach his high school football team -- how can we trust his judgement to hire the right people for the mayor's office?

I'm sure Ford knows exactly who this guy is, but I don't, nor does anyone else here. It isn't my place (or even Ford's) to decide whether this guy was suitable for the position he was in. That was up to the school board, and the issue here is that their ability to make that decision was quelled.

I'm not going to say, on the basis of a few criminal charges (which I'm not privy to the details of), that this guy was not appropriate for the position. I'm not going to say he was appropriate for it either. I know some people from my school days who do have criminal backgrounds and, if I was a business owner, I would gladly hire them if they met the job qualifications, as they've turned their lives around for the most part.

I agree that this, on it's own, is nothing much. BUT when combined with the fact that the mayor was allegedly filmed smoking crack, that he described someone arrested for trafficking as a "friend," that he is under active investigation and surveillance by the Toronto Police, that he was photographed with a person who was murdered in an "execution style" shooting, that he was almost thrown out of office for conflict of interest, that he has been repeatedly rebuked by the integrity commissioner, that there are reports of him drinking a mickey in his car in an LCBO parking lot, that he has refused a driver and has been photographed reading behind the wheel on a highway, you gotta start putting the pieces together.

This is not someone who is demonstrating good judgement. Yes, this is a piece of straw, but there is already a huge pile on the camel's back. It's not going to last forever. We hold elected officials to a higher standard, but Rob Ford is failing to even meet normal standards of good conduct and decency.

Well, I actually agree with you on this. Ford doesn't show good judgement. I'd be willing to say a lot of the controversies surrounding Ford are warranted (although not as many as most UT posters think), but I just feel that this specific issue is really a non-controversy, at least until there's an indication that Ford was complicit in the deceit.

I've speculated numerous times here about the possibility of Deco being "more than just labels" - it would make a lot of sense given Ford's past, and it would be pretty easy given Deco's locations across the border... I'm sure after a certain amount of familiarity (and/or other incentives) it's pretty easy to just get waved through the border. Obviously it's pure speculation... but if you want to go deeper, you have to wonder where/how Doug and the family got the Hashish blocks back in the day. It all gets into the country somehow...

Well, I may or may not have speculated on that point even before you did--and remember: it's the younger Fords who took Deco "international".

Oh, back to the "foursquare ginger" supposed hint/link: FWIW, Ginger's next door to the Brass Rail--who knows what *that's* saying...

This is standard robbie apologist stuff. Treat everything as though it's isolated, exists in a vacuum and not related to a larger narrative. It's becoming really boring. I would think most robbie boosters would just jump ship after realizing that it's exhausting to mentally contort oneself so often to rationalize the idiot's behaviour.

That's what's fascinating to observe. Ford followers make up an excuse for every single story that cmoes out, seemingly incapable of connecting the dots. He's been caught lying countless times, he's been seen intoxicated more than once, he's been seen (and documented) associating with known criminals...yet it's all some conspiracy by The Star (or the media outlet that happens to be reporting the story).

It's sad there's such a large contingent of people who lack any common sense.

The lengths they have to go to make this okay is beyond any partisan loyalty I have ever seen.

In order for Ford to be innocent:
some how people would have to have arranged for Rob Ford to be in a photo with three men that ended up being deeply involved in the drug scene in winter months. Then they would have to have had someone plant a comment on Toronto Mike's blog that would validate information about the Blasso's (the owners of the house in question) that would come out months later. Then they would have to convince (if we're going on the Toronto Star mastermind conspiracy) a journalist from New York to corroborate their story about a video featuring the mayor smoking what appears to be crack. Then they would have had to organize the freak out they had when Gawker published the story before they were ready, pushing out the story on the same night, and then have manufactured the petty squabble that happened between the Star and Gawker that occurred after. They would have to have convinced Gawker to run a kick starter to buy the video. They also would have had to planted "police leaks" that went to other news organizations so that those news organizations would publish corroborating stories. They also would have to have perpetuated a home invasion at 15 Windsor and known about the Project Traveller raid that was going to happen afterwards. All the while releasing more info to other news organizations so that they broke parts of the stories themselves. They also would have to have planted a series of actual criminals in the Mayor's inner circle (although this one would have had to happen years earlier, so this is a plot a long time in the making). And have orchestrated or manipulated Police Chief Blair to make him respond vaguely to questions, and somehow got Rob Ford and Doug to play along with the whole thing by refusing to give a straightforward answer to a single question.

This is what has to have happened for this story to not be based entirely in reality.

What is their to defend? Until there's something suggesting Ford was complicit in circumventing the background checks, he did nothing wrong. The issue isn't that Ford brought on somebody with a criminal record - the issue is that said individual circumvented the criminal background check, essentially removing the school board's ability to make an informed decision factoring in the safety of their students. The article itself says that the school board may have approved this guy after a proper background check anyway.

You're missing the big picture. Ford consistently associates with criminals and engages in (at best) questionable and immoral behaviour.

This isn't just an issue of the school board picking someone without checking his background properly (though that's an issue too); Ford uses this person to coach his summer league team as well.

At some point, common sense would dictate this isn't just a bunch of unrelated coincidences making the Mayor look back.

He's legitimately corrupt.

That's what's fascinating to observe. Ford followers make up an excuse for every single story that cmoes out, seemingly incapable of connecting the dots. He's been caught lying countless times, he's been seen intoxicated more than once, he's been seen (and documented) associating with known criminals...yet it's all some conspiracy by The Star (or the media outlet that happens to be reporting the story).

It's sad there's such a large contingent of people who lack any common sense.

To be fair, many said the same thing before Ford was elected mayor, based on the obvious available evidence at the time. To some of us, it is the obviousness of a significant portion of the population's lack of common sense that has increased, rather than the obviousness of Ford's unfitness for office.

Common sense does not apply to people who supported Ford with knowledge of his pre-mayoral exploits. Heck, look at Peepers. He/she rails against Ford as good as any of us, and yet at last check a couple of weeks ago, he/she would still vote for Ford over Chow.

^^ Wasen't Peepers originally part of "Ford Nation"? I remember him/her being a big cheerleader for Ford and everything he stood for. It's only rather recently that Peepers moved over to the rational side. (yet I still think in his/her heart of hearts, that there is a soft spot for Ford) You can only defend the indefensible for so long. At some point, reality has to set in and hopefully, that time will come for the rest of Fraud Nation.

The lengths they have to go to make this okay is beyond any partisan loyalty I have ever seen.

In order for Ford to be innocent:
some how people would have to have arranged for Rob Ford to be in a photo with three men that ended up being deeply involved in the drug scene in winter months. Then they would have to have had someone plant a comment on Toronto Mike's blog that would validate information about the Blasso's (the owners of the house in question) that would come out months later. Then they would have to convince (if we're going on the Toronto Star mastermind conspiracy) a journalist from New York to corroborate their story about a video featuring the mayor smoking what appears to be crack. Then they would have had to organize the freak out they had when Gawker published the story before they were ready, pushing out the story on the same night, and then have manufactured the petty squabble that happened between the Star and Gawker that occurred after. They would have to have convinced Gawker to run a kick starter to buy the video. They also would have had to planted "police leaks" that went to other news organizations so that those news organizations would publish corroborating stories. They also would have to have perpetuated a home invasion at 15 Windsor and known about the Project Traveller raid that was going to happen afterwards. All the while releasing more info to other news organizations so that they broke parts of the stories themselves. They also would have to have planted a series of actual criminals in the Mayor's inner circle (although this one would have had to happen years earlier, so this is a plot a long time in the making). And have orchestrated or manipulated Police Chief Blair to make him respond vaguely to questions, and somehow got Rob Ford and Doug to play along with the whole thing by refusing to give a straightforward answer to a single question.

This is what has to have happened for this story to not be based entirely in reality.

I really hope you don't mind if I share your post with any Ford defenders I come across. It's brilliant. ;)

^^ Wasen't Peepers originally part of "Ford Nation"? I remember him/her being a big cheerleader for Ford and everything he stood for. It's only rather recently that Peepers moved over to the rational side. (yet I still think in his/her heart of hearts, that there is a soft spot for Ford) You can only defend the indefensible for so long. At some point, reality has to set in and hopefully, that time will come for the rest of Fraud Nation.

I was never a "cheerleader" for Rob Ford although I have never been ashamed to to admit that I voted for him and I have no regrets about that. It was sure better than the alternative! Imagine if Smitherman had been elected Mayor - the city would probably be dealing with a $Billion scam like the many Smitherman left behind at Queens Park (e-Health, Greed Energy, Ornge). Also if the next election is a contest between Ford and Chow I will not hesitate to vote for Rob again!

That being said - I call things as I see them. I don't doubt that the crack video exists and at this point I am willing to believe just about any of the allegations leveled against Ford. Whatever his faults as a Mayor no one can accuse Ford of being dull. He has taken this city on a wild ride and I have a feeling it's about to get even crazier! :)

Last edited:
news-joker-1010_large.jpg

I was never a "cheerleader" for Rob Ford although I have never been ashamed to to admit that I voted for him and I have no regrets about that. It was sure better than the alternative! Imagine if Smitherman had been elected Mayor - the city would probably be dealing with a $Billion scam like the many Smitherman left behind at Queens Park (e-Health, Greed Energy, Ornge). Also if the next election is a contest between Ford and Chow I will not hesitate to vote for Rob again!

That being said - I call things as I see them. I don't doubt that the crack video exists and at this point I am willing to believe just about any of the allegations leveled against Ford. Whatever his faults as a Mayor no one can accuse Ford of being dull. He has taken this city on a wild ride and I have a feeling it's about to get even crazier! :)

Why?

As for Smitherman I don't think there would've been a huge difference. Ford has a pretty notable track record of waste and mismanagement as Mayor.

ParkdalePetunia:

One of the greatest paragraphs I've ever read on the web. I salute you for having a tough-enough stomach to keep writing all the way to the end. This is the part that had me laughing the hardest ...

They also would have to have planted a series of actual criminals in the Mayor's inner circle (although this one would have had to happen years earlier, so this is a plot a long time in the making).

Anyway, just to give you T.O. people a little more mayor envy, this is a verbatim quote from Nenshi, 12 days before the Calgary civic election, on CBC radio Wed AM Oct 9, joking about $500K of taxpayer-funded art he doesn't like: "I don't like it ... but the thing is I'm not a curator. And I don't think that we should live in a world where politicians curate the arts. Or we would get giant Soviet realist portraits of *me* everywhere. May not be a bad thing ... but I don't think so."

Last edited:
Why?

As for Smitherman I don't think there would've been a huge difference. Ford has a pretty notable track record of waste and mismanagement as Mayor.

For people whose thought processes can ultimately be summed up as "Fuck You, Got Mine" Ford and those like him will always seem to be preferable candidates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back