818     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 740     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 311     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand why you didn't simply post a link to these pics. You might consider reposting (link only) so we don't have to scroll & scroll to read comments.

Last edited:
People want someone they can have a beer with. Chow and Miller were not that.

People on this thread seem to have some weird hindsight where they think Miller was a fundamentally flawed candidate. Let's keep things in perspective: he was tremendously popular throughout his tenure (typically getting 60% approval, and at times hitting 80% approval). His approval only sunk below 50% after the garbage strike. In his first campaign he beat Tory in many suburban wards, and in his second campaign he crushed the conservative Jane Pitfield. This was not some out of touch elitist. There were even polls that suggested that he would have won the 2010 election if he had campaigned.

It also really annoys me that people are building Ford into this unstoppable juggernaut when the majority of Torontonians consistently disapprove of him, and his only election victory was against an extremely weak slate of opponents. I've said it many times already, and I'll say it again: Ford could win re-election, but there are many more scenarios in which he looses than wins.

I don't understand why you didn't simply post a link to these pics.

I'm actually glad someone posted those pics. It confirms Ford Fest goers look exactly like I had imagined.

What is "Ford Fest" anyway? He doesn't even try to hide the fact that is a blatant election campaign event...not a "festival".

I've said it many times already, and I'll say it again: Ford could win re-election, but there are many more scenarios in which he looses than wins.
If the ranked ballot system was in place by 2014 then I'd say Ford will be crushed. However, since it won't be in place until 2018 at the earliest, I'd say Ford wins 35% of the vote, and the other 65% gets split over 5 or more other candidates, none of which exceeding Ford's 35%.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...lots_and_letting_noncitizens_participate.html

If the ranked ballot system was in place by 2014 then I'd say Ford will be crushed. However, since it won't be in place until 2018 at the earliest, I'd say Ford wins 35% of the vote, and the other 65% gets split over 5 or more other candidates, none of which exceeding Ford's 35%.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...lots_and_letting_noncitizens_participate.html

We don't even know who's running yet. How can we jump to the conclusion that no one will get more than 35%? No one has ever won a Toronto Mayoral election with less than 43% of the vote. Again, there are several possible scenarios here, Ford looses in most of them.

Either way subway wins!!...it be political suicide to go against subways.Ford didn't save billions he saved a few million dollars,getting a surplus which is pretty amazing since he didnt create any hidden useless users fees and property tax increase was in line with inflation.It seems the streets are cleaner now also for some reason and less beggars on the corners.Before I would say Chow would be a clear winner if she decides to run but Scarborough could be the Trump card for Ford.

It seems the streets are cleaner now also for some reason and less beggars on the corners.

Not really. I think there are some rose coloured glasses at work. As to the surplus - even David Miller has those, and keep in mind Ford couldn't balance his budget without the fees and taxes his predecessor implemented (esp. the land transfer tax which is providing far more revenue than originally estimated)

AoD

Last edited:
People on this thread seem to have some weird hindsight where they think Miller was a fundamentally flawed candidate. Let's keep things in perspective: he was tremendously popular throughout his tenure (typically getting 60% approval, and at times hitting 80% approval). His approval only sunk below 50% after the garbage strike. In his first campaign he beat Tory in many suburban wards, and in his second campaign he crushed the conservative Jane Pitfield. This was not some out of touch elitist. There were even polls that suggested that he would have won the 2010 election if he had campaigned.

It also really annoys me that people are building Ford into this unstoppable juggernaut when the majority of Torontonians consistently disapprove of him, and his only election victory was against an extremely weak slate of opponents. I've said it many times already, and I'll say it again: Ford could win re-election, but there are many more scenarios in which he looses than wins.

This is a really good point. I remember being at a ribbon cutting event in Agincourt in 2008 and residents were fawning over Miller like a rock star - almost identical to the pictures of the Ford Fests. Miller won all but two wards in 2006, including all of Etobicoke, York and Scarborough. He WAS the mayor you could have a beer with (remember Miller Lite?). The garbage strike was definitely the game changer.

Either way subway wins!!...it be political suicide to go against subways.Ford didn't save billions he saved a few million dollars,getting a surplus which is pretty amazing since he didnt create any hidden useless users fees and property tax increase was in line with inflation

A surplus in the context of Toronto is simply budgeted money that was unspent. So things like lower gas prices and little snowfall (less snow removal) will cause a surplus. There is little to nothing anybody can do to make this surplus happen. It just happens by itself. In fact you could probably argue that having a surplus is a bad thing. It means we may have over budgeted and that the excess money could have been spent elsewhere.

The surplus you are thinking of is when the City brings in more tax revenue than it spends. The thing is that Toronto has run this kind of surplus basically every year. This is because legally, municipalities in Ontario cannot spend more money that it makes.

Last edited:
Actually, I thought that in 2003 Miller's success (and Tory's near-success) did have something to do with the "someone they can have a beer with" quality (and Barbara Hall's failure had to do w/the lack of the same). Likewise w/Jack Layton in 2011, especially in Quebec...(and Iggy w/the lack-of quality)

Actually, I had seen Miller at a bar or two in his tenure and he was quite approachable...a few people did actually sit down and have a beer with him.

I'm actually glad someone posted those pics. It confirms Ford Fest goers look exactly like I had imagined.

What is "Ford Fest" anyway? He doesn't even try to hide the fact that is a blatant election campaign event...not a "festival".

There's an element of ego and self promotion involved that should blatantly indicate to his supporters/fans that he's not just a regular guy. It would be amazing if it was an event about the citizens of Toronto, where they accepted donations on behalf of a charity or something of that nature.

Instead, it's all about the Fords.

Last edited:
1) I actually was saying the opposite: Ford won because of the divisiveness in this city. His win was largely seen as a revolt by the suburbs, who felt their needs were being neglected by the downtown elites. I'm not interested in debating whether this is true, but political divisiveness in Toronto predated Ford.

2) That being said, Ford isn't nearly as divisive as people seem to imply. He actually had strong levels of support downtown. In Trinity Spadina, he pulled about 25% of the vote. He had more support than Pantalone in all but a few ridings. And besides some comments made by Don Cherry, I don't believe he has been divisive in the least. The divisiveness all stems from the anti-Ford faction IMO, who have been trying to get Ford booted for any reason, attacked the man's image and character endlessly, opposed anything he supports on the basis of him supporting it and taken criticism beyond the limits of reasonableness.

I actually live downtown (or close enough at least). I cannot think of one thing Ford has done which has made me feel neglected or alienated.

Non-partisanship is important, but it is only an approach. It doesn't tell you anything about what Chow's stance on any issue. Its essentially We're going to work together fairly and compromise. That doesn't tell you anything about where Chow stands on any given issue. All that tells me is that Chow is going to be a little nicer dealing with other councilors - where does she stand on taxes? where does she stand on transit? where does she stand on anything?

I have no problem with this theme, but I simply don't think it will resonate with voters. "Cut the gravy" resonated because the average voter was fed up with what they saw as wasteful government spending. "Cut the gravy" = "save money with efficiencies as opposed to raising tax or cutting services". That slogan tells you what you need to know about Ford, what his priorities are and what he's going to do in office.

Ford is the most divisive Mayor in Toronto history (or at least the past 30 years or so). Divide and conquer is his go-to tactic. His standard rhetoric always includes a comment about the 'left' or the 'downtown elitists' (which become social welfare leeches when it suits him) trying to deny the good, hard working people of the suburbs what they deserve.

The entire Scarborough subway extension is an exercise in divisive politics.

I would love to see legitimate examples of Ford being attacked. As it stands now, his supporters label anything an 'attack' - questioning his policy, questioning his inappropriate behaviour, pointing out his lies...all of it is deemed an 'attack' by his fanbase.

Instead, it's all about the Ford's.

No apostrophe needed. It's not possessive, it's plural.

Miller was against the Toronto Island Airport expansion. It has since been shown to be a huge success loved by millions of travellers.

Miller introduced a municipal land transfer tax hated by by hundreds of thousands of people who have had to pay tens of thousands of dollars more when it came time to move.

Miller put us thorugh a painful and completely unnecessary multi-week garbage strike, at the end of which he simply caved to all the union demands anyway.

The populist hate of Miller directly contributed to a Rob Ford victory.

Other than that, he's a swell guy with great hair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back