95     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 267     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1K     3 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been hearing a lot of chatter and scrambling. I don't know yet what's going on but I have a feeling something is about to hit.

I was wondering if you think this scrambling might have been due to the "snap" judge's decision today regarding keeping wiretap details from Project Traveller hidden, or if you believe that the chatter is related to some other development.

‏@cbcdaveseglins: Judge rules media cannot see sealed #ProjectTraveller warrants bc sensitive wirewtap info. CBC, Star lose bid to look for any #robford ties

Time for the lynch mob to move on perhaps? Premier Wynne could use some scrutiny it seems. That is if runaway provincial debt is of any concern to the broad thinkers in this quadrant.

Time for the lynch mob to move on perhaps? Premier Wynne could use some scrutiny it seems. That is if runaway provincial debt is of any concern to the broad thinkers in this quadrant.

will you disappear again when the Star publishes its next story linking Rob Ford to substance abuse and criminal activity? there's plenty more to come, so i wouldn't get too far into gloating mode.

More in the way of insults and poor governance by Ford.

Rob Ford casts deciding votes at committee, seemingly to avoid fights on council floor
Megan O'Toole | 13/09/16 6:41 PM ET

Presaging a bitter 2014 budget battle, Mayor Rob Ford has appeared twice in the past week at city hall committees to tip the balance on spending votes, scuttling the efforts of rival councillors.

Because he is technically a member of all standing committees, the mayor is entitled to sit in on any meeting and vote, although he very rarely exercises that power. The fact that he has done it twice in a week — breaking tie votes to send spending recommendations to the Ford-friendly budget committee, rather than directly to council — appears a strategic effort to gain an early measure of control over the 2014 budget process.

“It seems to me that he is trying to avoid an increasingly unpredictable and hostile council in order to either send a message or lock in what he wants to achieve,†said University of Toronto urban politics professor Zack Taylor.

On Monday, the parks and environment committee voted 4-3 (with Mr. Ford as the tiebreaker) to ship to the budget committee several spending motions, including one that would have asked the city to boost park staffing levels and resume funding the High Park Zoo and Riverdale Farm. Left-leaning councillors had wanted the motions to go straight to council for possible inclusion in the 2014 draft budget.

Councillors can still revive any of the items during budget discussions, although without advance preparation, staff may not have the necessary numbers at hand to inform the debate. With two-thirds support, councillors can also add items to the next council agenda.

Speaking outside Monday’s meeting, Mr. Ford dismissed his colleagues’ motions as “reckless†spending attempts.

“We have fine services in our parks right now, there’s not a problem,†Mayor Ford said, in between watching clips from “Summer of Ford,†his newly minted self-promotional video that was playing on a large screen at city hall.

“We just can’t have these lefties spending like drunken sailors, and that’s what they’re doing… They have no respect for the taxpayers whatsoever,†Mr. Ford said. “They never have, they never will. But their day of reckoning is coming soon.â€

One week earlier, Mr. Ford appeared at the city’s government management committee for a similar purpose; the committee was considering a review of service levels, with some councillors raising concerns about the high number of callers who hung up before anyone answered their tax-assessment questions. Councillor Pam McConnell wanted the 2014 draft budget to include resources to improve that number, but the Ford-supported majority referred the item to the budget committee.

According to city data, the mayor’s recent committee forays are indeed unusual.

“In the history of the amalgamated city and its predecessors, it would be very rare, but not unheard of, for a mayor to exercise this right,†said John Elvidge, secretariat director with the city clerk’s office.

Besides the recent two, the only other standing committee meeting Mr. Ford attended and voted in this term was a June public works session on the plastic-bag fee. The city could not immediately provide data on previous mayors’ attendance records.

Parks committee member Gord Perks called the mayor’s tactic “disappointing†and emblematic of “bad governance.†Mr. Perks, who had been aiming to increase the frequency of playground equipment replacement, said it would be much more difficult to pass that motion during budget talks, because councillors would not necessarily have up-to-date financial information.

“We just want the information from staff to be here when we debate the budget, saying to fix playgrounds is going to cost you this much. The mayor doesn’t even want us to have that information in our draft budget,†Mr. Perks said.

But Councillor Paul Ainslie, who chairs the parks committee and moved Monday’s referral motion, maintained the budget committee was the appropriate place for such matters.

“Some of these are very emotional items for a lot of people, [but] we have to have a process in place,†he said.

National Post

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/0...e-seemingly-to-avoid-fights-on-council-floor/

More on the parks motions:

Parkdale-High Park Councillor Gord Perks moved a motion to look at refurbishing 30 playgrounds across the city.

“We here from the public that our playgrounds are in terrible disrepair. They only get repaired once every 80 years. We just want the information from staff to be there. The mayor doesn’t even want us to have the information. He came out of his office to make sure — he doesn’t want the public to know what good public service costs,†said Perks.

Parkdale-High Park Councillor Sarah Doucette asked that the city consider funding the High Park Zoo and the Riverdale Farm, which are currently being funded by donations.

She said if the city funded operating costs, then fundraising could go toward repairs and capital costs more effectively.

She said the issue will come up again one way or another.

“If the mayor hadn’t come to the meeting, our motions would have been dealt with today,†she said. “But this doesn’t eliminate any suggestions. They’ll still come to the budget. All we’re doing here is saying to the budget chief, take these things into consideration.â€

Toronto-Danforth Councillor Paula Fletcher was championing more effective branch-trimming by city staff.

“Currently it’s six months from when you ask for a tree to be trimmed and when it gets trimmed,†she said.

“I don’t think that’s a service level we should tolerate in Toronto. The mayor came in and nixed all of that. It’s a little surprising to come in and take out any service improvements before we get to budget. The budget committee will deal with everything, but a budget committee doesn’t have a high view like the parks committee. I think that’s why it’s so disconcerting. What is wrong with having that conversation? Is the mayor afraid of council?â€
http://www.insidetoronto.com/news-s...-stop-lefties-spending-like-drunken-sailors-/

But of course, the true reason lies not in the fact that Ford cares about the city, but rather that he wishes to be reelected.
Ford has spoken regularly about how he has reined in spending, a centrepiece of his 2014 re-election bid.
http://www.thestar.com/news/city_ha...ings_a_surprise_swing_vote_to_committees.html

I don't see much problem in Ford casting those votes on committee. It's politics. On other councils I've seen the mayor acts as chairperson and only casts votes to break ties. He only had the power to be the deciding vote because half the members on committees had already cast a vote that supported his direction. Perks and Fletcher certainly aren't representative of the potential consensus point on any issue in this city.

I don't see much problem in Ford casting those votes on committee. It's politics. On other councils I've seen the mayor acts as chairperson and only casts votes to break ties. He only had the power to be the deciding vote because half the members on committees had already cast a vote that supported his direction. Perks and Fletcher certainly aren't representative of the potential consensus point on any issue in this city.

It may be politics, but personally I find it pretty offensive that Ford shows up simply to ensure that a vote to study the cost of improving city services fails.

It may be politics, but personally I find it pretty offensive that Ford shows up simply to ensure that a vote to study the cost of improving city services fails.

Exactly this. When has he shown interest otherwise on those topics? It's really all about power, obstructionism and potshots for him.

If Ford were mayor back from 2003-2010, I guarantee you that our waterfront would have still be undeveloped and transit completely unimproved.

What is this guys vision for our city anyways?

SUBWAYS that run gravy-free. And the catch-all "respect for taxpayers", which really doesn't mean anything because, well, how do you "respect taxpayers" by voting against funding that might assist or benefit them?

It occurs to me more and more that Rob Ford, as a guy who doesn't have much of an education and merely rolled into his role at the family company, doesn't fully grasp what a true cost/benefit analysis means - he just sees numbers, numbers everywhere. He doesn't see "Improved maintenance of public parks and play structures" as something that benefits the people that use them - he sees it as numbers (costs) that make bigger numbers (budgets) smaller, and all he really cares about is making those bigger numbers as big as possible because he thinks it will get him re-elected.

Yet on the opposite side of that coin, all of his penny-pinching and nit-picking is completely negated by his insistence for SUBWAYS - if cancelling the LRT contracts to give Scarborough a subway amount to , say, $100 million... which doesn't even include the extra ongoing operating costs for an under-utilized transit line... well, I would say that an overall reduction in city services (and thus quality of life for many) certainly isn't worth over-building transit in one part of the city. In one sense you are "respecting taxpayers", sure, by giving them exactly what they are asking for. But in another sense you aren't respecting them at all because you're not spending their money wisely/effectively, and you're dis-respecting everyone else in the city that has to see a service-reduction to fund that subway. Same goes for "respecting taxpayers" by eliminating already-built bicycle lanes, while dis-respecting taxpayers that ride bicycles.

But anyway...

Actions as thus show Robbie's fear of the council. We have all seen the mayor's actions while in council, he does not want to answer questions, he frets, struts, and sweats like a pig. The council also is the greatest barrier to the rule of his partisan government, these actions may be legal, but when abused show that Robbie's vision of democracy is not the same as the actual thing.

Actions as thus show Robbie's fear of the council. We have all seen the mayor's actions while in council, he does not want to answer questions, he frets, struts, and sweats like a pig. The council also is the greatest barrier to the rule of his partisan government, these actions may be legal, but when abused show that Robbie's vision of democracy is not the same as the actual thing.

... anything else?

Is Ford really the right person to be using the "drunken sailors" simile? Clearly, for a person who is no stranger to extreme and unhealthy intoxication, the answer should be "no". But it's so typically brainless of him to employ language that undercuts his argument, so typically brainless of his supporters to support such inappropriate use and so typically brainless of Toronto's media to allow such inappropriate use to go uncommented.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back