5.1K     6 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.9K     3 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
“Toronto has a spending problem, not a revenue problemâ€- Rob Ford, 2010
and now...
"Let’s get that revenue. Obviously we need the money to fund next year’s budget" link
That fantasy was already destroyed when he asked the province for money immediately after being elected.

From yesterday's National Post: Matt Gurney: Rob Ford’s plan to sell assets to cover deficits an insult to taxpayers

In his column, Matt Gurney blasts Rob Ford over his proposal to sell City assets to pay ongoing operational costs. He writes: "One-time-only sales of city assets to partially cover a single year’s deficit is fiscal insanity." Gurney makes the same point as Matt Elliott did in an earlier column, this time from the right.

Ford campaigned to end the gravy train, but he has found little gravy. He is also learning that people actually quite like City services, and do not want them cut. And so he has proposed a fire sale of City assets to delay real action on the City's structural deficit, just as Ford once blasted Miller for doing.

Ford now says he was just kidding when he said "Let’s sell these homes. Let’s take that revenue. Obviously, we need the money to fund next year’s budget."

Principled conservatives are beginning to question the ability of the mayor to deliver true fiscal discipline to the City's finances, and are glimpsing the damage that a Palinesque pseudo-conservative might do.

I wonder if he's realized yet how irresponsible it was to freeze property taxes and cut the vehicle registration tax before he had an itemized list of "gravy" that he could cut to make up the difference.

So a defeated candidate and four real estate pros are nominated for the TCHC.

http://www.thestar.com/news/article...s-failed-council-candidate-nominated-for-tchc

Meanwhile, Ford throws out yet another proposal to balance the budget- renaming stations.

http://www.thestar.com/news/ttc/article/1008607--ttc-looking-at-renaming-stations
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...top-spadina-mcdonalds-station/article2060581/

Anyone thinks latest proposal is a smoke screen thrown up by Ford to distract the public from his real intentions? Or is Ford really one that shoots off random ideas without knowing?

Last edited:
Anyone thinks latest proposal is a smoke screen thrown up by Ford to distract the public from his real intentions? Or is Ford really one that shoots off random ideas without knowing?

At this point, don't be surprised if his "real intention" is to cower under his desk and suck his thumb, shivering, now that he realizes how boxed-in he's getting...

At this point, don't be surprised if his "real intention" is to cower under his desk and suck his thumb, shivering, now that he realizes how boxed-in he's getting...

Is he smart enough to have actually arrived at such a realization?

I think you underestimate Ford. Or perhaps not Ford, but the people behind him.

I also hoped Cheney, Rumsfeld, Powell and Rice would keep Bush from screwing up too badly. But ideological tunnel vision can afflict anyone, and cause even smart people to do incredibly stupid things ... especially when they dismiss the democratic process as needless tediousness.

This heritage castle will never be a Cash Cow for the city....I say sell it and turn it into a 5-star luxury boutique hotel.

Casa Loma may have to be sold: Mayor Ford
Mayor also 'furious' about Leafs practice rink takeover

Toronto Mayor Rob Ford says the historic Casa Loma property will eventually have to be sold, saying it's time for the city to stop assuming risk in business deals with service groups.

City council on Tuesday agreed to adopt the recommendations of a staff report that called for the city to regain control of Casa Loma from the Kiwanis Club, which has operated the historic castle since 1937.

"I'm definitely going to be reviewing that. Casa Loma is something that I think we are eventually going to have to sell. That's the bottom line," he said Tuesday.

The Casa Loma decision isn't the only takeover Ford now opposes.

On Monday a staff report recommended the city assume operation of Lakeshore Lions Arena, a four-pad rink in Etobicoke that the Toronto Maple Leafs and the Marlies use as a practice facility.

Along with that takeover comes $43.5 million in debt accumulated by the current operators of the arena.

The city has guaranteed $35.3 million of its debt, and if the operators default, the city would be on the hook for that amount. As an eventual default appears likely, one of the few options left is to assume control of the facility, the report said.

"I'm furious about that. It's completely mismanaged. I voted for it and I regret doing that," Ford said.

The recommendation will be debated at council's executive committee on June 20.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2011/06/15/casa-loma-ford658.html

This heritage castle will never be a Cash Cow for the city....I say sell it and turn it into a 5-star luxury boutique hotel.

I am still not sure why no one is suggesting Casa Loma for the proposed Toronto Museum. Apparently some folks are disappointed that the museum, now proposed for Old City Hall, would be much smaller than originally envisioned.

b998828f46b6bcd7d873f02ac57a.jpeg

Courtesy of The Star.

Now waiting for hell to freeze over... he's on a bike and it's pink!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back