News   Aug 12, 2024
 162     0 
News   Aug 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Aug 12, 2024
 504     0 

Rob Ford - Why the Supervillian?

I hate Ford as much as the next person but he finally mentioned the magic words for me yesterday ... though I doubt they'd actually pan out, but he specially mentioned commercial tax cuts. Again this is likely impossible (an actual cut that is verse a freeze) but at least he's thinking about the idea.

Anyway, regarding streetcars ... while yes it could not think of a worse platform to lose central voters ... it's not very fair to compare to other cities which are building *new* streetcar lines ... for the most part (maybe 100%?) cities are building LRTs now i.e. they're grade separated from cars. I doubt he's referring to Spadina or St. Clair or QQ ... rather the other lines.

Again, replacing them with buses is a terrible idea - but replacing them with say a DRL in combination with lighter surface options may make some sort of sense.

I hate Ford as much as the next person but he finally mentioned the magic words for me yesterday ... though I doubt they'd actually pan out, but he specially mentioned commercial tax cuts. Again this is likely impossible (an actual cut that is verse a freeze) but at least he's thinking about the idea.

Rob ford was the only one who addressed the issue. While Thompson, Smitherman, Rossi and Pantalone talked about marketing Toronto, as if that was the problem, Ford was the only candidate to say lower commercial taxes. They all weaseled out, except Ford.

What the city should be doing was laid out over a decade ago by city staff members in an excellent report, found here. The report contains many good suggestions and demonstrates why high commercial taxes have had a much larger impact on the outer 416 areas than the core.

Cross-posted here too. Rob Ford's transit plan:

robfordtransitplan.png

I guess Rob Ford's plan includes the removal of Coxwell station?

Rob ford was the only one who addressed the issue. While Thompson, Smitherman, Rossi and Pantalone talked about marketing Toronto, as if that was the problem, Ford was the only candidate to say lower commercial taxes. They all weaseled out, except Ford.

What the city should be doing was laid out over a decade ago by city staff members in an excellent report, found here. The report contains many good suggestions and demonstrates why high commercial taxes have had a much larger impact on the outer 416 areas than the core.

I don't think it should take much for the average citizen to reach a similar conclusion regarding the outer core ... there has been ... for the most pat no new medium-large scale office construction outside the core in the 416 in the last 10 or so years (yes, there are a few exceptions, but you can literary count them on 1 hand).

Anyway, I don't see how Ford will be able to accomplish this, so it's probably your typical political bs .. by that I mean he wants to cut land transfer / vehicle registration taxes while not increasing residential taxes a lot (he seemed to mention the low 1%) and still manage to cut / stop increasing commercial property tax!

RF is embarrassing me--so many people I work with--majority non-white--say RF is "typical" of UK-originated Canadians. Wtf? I try to explain that he's just a loud mouth red neck, (sorta like me lol), and they are always surprised to learn I'm from his "ethnic" group. (It's fun to trap reverse racists in their tracks! :p)

OTOH, when I tell these folks what RF proposes, they agree with his platform! The reality is the majority of Torontonians are pro-car, anti-streetcar, etc.

I finally saw RF in person and have come to realize he will be stopped one day...by his heart. :p

Last edited:
RF is embarrassing me

...even after all the campaigning you've done for him?

It's fun to trap reverse racists in their tracks!

Is ethnicity the same as race?
What is "reverse racism"?

I try to explain that he's just a loud mouth red neck, (sorta like me lol),

I can agree with that.....not something to be proud of though, is it?

I'm damn proud reed neak!

Reverse racism is when you're a white person in a majority white country--Canada--yet in your work find yourself the minority surrounded by folks who behave racist towards you, don't promote you but only themselves, etc.

I campaigned for RF? No. I cleverly came up with a slogan based on a longstanding Ford Motor Co tagline "Have you driven a Ford...lately" turned into "Have you voted for a Ford...lately." I'm obsessed with word play. Playing the contrarian is always fun, and while I agree with some parts of RF's platform--cut the waste (even though I know it won't happen..the nature of politics is waste) and find myself defending the Scots-Irish when we're lumped together as "racists" by ignorant new Canadians and hate the liberal urban elite, I do not endorse RF for mayor.

I am not voting, period. All politicians disgust me!

OTOH, when I tell these folks what RF proposes, they agree with his platform! The reality is the majority of Torontonians are pro-car, anti-streetcar, etc.
I'm yet to meet anyone real who even comprehends his platform.

The replace every streetcar downtown with 3 buses thing is just plain bizarre. Where do you find these people who want all the extra congestion? It screws up transit, it screws up driving.

I love sitting on streetcars, gliding down the streets of Downtown Toronto and seeing the many sites along College, Dundas, Queen, etc. For me, riding a streetcar in Toronto is far more exciting than a bus.

Back