News   Apr 24, 2024
 934     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 612     0 

Rob Ford and Pride

Yes Pride is very corporate but that's a good thing! Some 30 plus years ago people would be boycotting and protesting companies that supported gay rights events. Pride is a money maker, again that's a good thing! Fact Pride attracts thousands tourists from around the world to the city.

Probably the only time the majority of LBGT community feels comfortable doing it without fear of being verbally abused or physically assaulted.

My friend was assaulted on Church Street south of Alexander late Friday night. Two street kids were chanting homophobic language behind him then jumped, robbed and beat him up. Some things never change.

No sign of corporate sponsorship here, or crowds. Gay March, 1974 on Wellesley east of Jarvis.

1974GayMarch.jpg

Ford refuses to attend flag raising

Not the Pride Week flag raising, but the PFLAG event next week.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...h-event-in-front-of-city-hall/article2425775/

Mayor Rob Ford is passing up another opportunity to support the gay and lesbian community, this time opting to skip a flag-raising outside his office that will be attended by Toronto Maple Leafs general manager Brian Burke.

The Toronto chapter of Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays has confirmed that Mr. Ford turned down its invitation to a flag-raising to mark the International Day Against Homophobia and Transphobia in Nathan Phillips Square on May 17.

But at least it will be Gord Perks, not Frances Nunziata again, sent on the mayor's behalf.

I'm starting to think that the best response to this is for Pride Toronto to publicly BAN Ford from their events. Ford is so pigheaded, stubborn, and spiteful that it might get him to go to everything.

I think the way he's set things up is practically in a "draft dodger" spirit, i.e. to render himself so objectionable, there's no way he can safely attend anything Pride-related...

To be clear Marko this was not a Pride event today (referring to the thread's heading). It's still great that he pulled a surprise visit & showed up for International Day Against Homophobia and Transphobia, and it's good that he was warmly received.

I posted that because I was on another non-Toronto forum where I came upon a thread that was discussing it. I thought to myself "this must really be getting some attention on UT" and then when I got here, tumbleweeds. I later found the handful of perfunctory posts in the Ford thread, but still. I'd chalk it up to being a case of "if you have nothing good to say, don't say anything at all" but if that was the case, this thread would be only 2 pages long.

Rob Ford makes surprise appearance at PFLAG event
Posted by Derek Flack / MAY 17, 2012

Although he had previously indicated that he would not attend today's flag raising ceremony to mark International Day Against Homophobia and Transphobia at City Hall, Rob Ford unexpectedly sauntered onto the roof shortly after 12:30 p.m. to take part in the event. And, yes, in case anyone was wondering, the reception was unanimously positive as the mayor received multiple rounds of applause, first upon arrival and later when he read a proclamation decrying homophobia on the part of the City.

Was that so hard? Apparently not. This is what I predicted he'd do when he announced that he'd be skipping the Pride Parade once again this year, but I'd given up hope when he brushed off an earlier invitation from PFLAG. I'm still not sure what the need for secrecy was, but good on the mayor for making it out in the end. It was a pleasant surprise.

Let's not overdo the congratulations, though. Lest we be collectively guilty of unbelievably low expectations, the city should expect its mayor to attend events like this as a matter of course. Baby steps are great, but there's a long way to go before it makes sense to characterize Ford as LGBT-friendly.

Why he didn't stay until the end of the ceremony is also something of a mystery. Just as PFLAG member Jim Callahan stepped up to the microphone to read a message from Leafs GM Brian Burke, Ford and his staff members made an abrupt exit, which sent a wave through the assembled crowd as members of the media chased him into City Hall. The whole scene was rather disruptive and put a damper on what was otherwise an occasion to believe that there's hope for the mayor's leadership abilities, after all.

http://www.blogto.com/city/2012/05/rob_ford_makes_surprise_appearance_at_pflag_event/

He almost did it! Baby steps, people.

I posted that because I was on another non-Toronto forum where I came upon a thread that was discussing it. I thought to myself "this must really be getting some attention on UT" and then when I got here, tumbleweeds. I later found the handful of perfunctory posts in the Ford thread, but still. I'd chalk it up to being a case of "if you have nothing good to say, don't say anything at all" but if that was the case, this thread would be only 2 pages long.

Hi, reality here. Not sure what universe you inhabit, but in my universe (i.e. The real universe) there were about a dozen posts within hours of the news happening.

Yes, but it's all relative. This is our mayor and this is a positive thing he did.

Doesn't really do us any good to compare with what other, hypothetical mayors would have done.

Graphic Matt:

Doesn't really do us any good to compare with what other, hypothetical mayors would have done.

I don't think we should lower the bar just for him. His failures are his own and just because there are "improvements" still does not equate to competence.

AoD

Hi, reality here. Not sure what universe you inhabit, but in my universe (i.e. The real universe) there were about a dozen posts within hours of the news happening.
Fair enough. In the 6+ hours after canmark made the first post, there were 11 replies before I made my post above.

Excuse me for dismissing an even dozen mostly one liners as a "handful". What on earth was I thinking!?

Back