News   Apr 19, 2024
 287     1 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 588     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 711     1 

Roads: Six Points Interchange Reconfiguration (City of Toronto, UC)

I thought that a weekend was an ambitious timeline to take out both bridges, but after watching the Dundas/Bloor overpass bridge come down yesterday, during a snowstorm, I think they'll pull this off.
I suspect the longer window for the bridges over Kipling is because they will have to reconstruct Kipling after. Didn't have to worry about that with the bridge over the now obsolete Dundas ramp.

I suspect the longer window for the bridges over Kipling is because they will have to reconstruct Kipling after. Didn't have to worry about that with the bridge over the now obsolete Dundas ramp.
They won't be reconstructing Kipling right away, they'll place a thick layer of soil down to protect the roadway surface from the tracks of the excavators and falling debris from the bridge demolition so the roadway can reopen as scheduled.

Keep in mind that they only brought down the bridge deck of the Dundas Bridge so far. The abutments are still in tact. I imagine with the bridges over Kipling that they will want to remove all of the structure in one closure, including the abutments.

On to westbound traffic from Bloor.
It's a mess in the afternoon rush hour and MiWay buses are taking 15-20 minutes to get from Islington Station to turned on to Dundas Street. For some reason the light at Bloor/Dundas/Dunbloor is a three phase light. One phase for northbound Dundas, one phase for southbound Dunbloor and one phase for westbound Bloor. In my opinion the seperate phases on Dundas/Dunbloor is completely unnecessary and that should be time allocated to the westbound Bloor phase.

Google Maps has updated with the new Dundas configuration.
This was already mention in:
View attachment 174955
First time through here this morning, on the MiWay #76. Glad to see the progress, but I hope they can manage traffic better during construction. 10 minutes to get from Islington to Kipling. Barely moved along Bloor, though the new Dundas section was pretty quick. :)

It's a mess in the afternoon rush hour and MiWay buses are taking 15-20 minutes to get from Islington Station to turned on to Dundas Street. For some reason the light at Bloor/Dundas/Dunbloor is a three phase light. One phase for northbound Dundas, one phase for southbound Dunbloor and one phase for westbound Bloor. In my opinion the seperate phases on Dundas/Dunbloor is completely unnecessary and that should be time allocated to the westbound Bloor phase.
I wonder where the much proclaimed smart traffic signals that John Tory likes to muse about have been? I have yet to see them appear anywhere in the city.

On a serious note, I agree the traffic has looked pretty bad along the new Dundas Street. I wouldnt be surprised if it took the city another month to figure out how bad it is before they implement some kind of a fix; much in the same way it took them 1 month to figure out how bad the situation was along Auckland and St.Albans a few months ago.

I have found that if I make an error report on Google Maps it gets fixed pretty fast (2 weeks or so).

It isn’t obvious how to report this to Google Maps. Unlike for other things like roads or buildings. I’ve tried reporting the lack of a yellow marker for the TYSSE indirectly by reporting issues with the various stations on the line. But Google ignores it.

They won't be reconstructing Kipling right away, they'll place a thick layer of soil down to protect the roadway surface from the tracks of the excavators and falling debris from the bridge demolition so the roadway can reopen as scheduled.

Keep in mind that they only brought down the bridge deck of the Dundas Bridge so far. The abutments are still in tact. I imagine with the bridges over Kipling that they will want to remove all of the structure in one closure, including the abutments.

Not many cars use Dundas east of Kipling, and most just go onto Bloor. They should really give signal priority to cars following the former highway alignment of Bloor east of Kipling, DUndas westbound from Kipling

They were already making a pretty good dent in the abutments by this morning. I think it'll be hectic, but I agree they'll have everything out in one closure for Kipling.

Get your cameras and video recorders ready for next weekend! They had their practice with the tearing down of the Dundas overpass. Hopefully they bring in enough equipment to complete the job for the remainder overpasses on Kipling. The media will be swarming over the six points interchange site with their aerial drones and satellite trucks lol. I will be watching from my balcony with my binoculars.

Start Date: Friday March 8, 2019 at 7 P.M

End Date: Tuesday March 12, 2019 at 5 A.M

Get your cameras and video recorders ready for next weekend! They had their practice with the tearing down of the Dundas overpass. Hopefully they bring in enough equipment to complete the job for the remainder overpasses on Kipling. The media will be swarming over the six points interchange site with their aerial drones and satellite trucks lol. I will be watching from my balcony with my binoculars.

For sure has been intresting seeing the progress there. Everyone should get cameras ready because.....

(Much to the dismay of automobile gods everywhere, they hate the new Dundas. They'd rather driver over an 1950s interchange!)

I wonder where the much proclaimed smart traffic signals that John Tory likes to muse about have been? I have yet to see them appear anywhere in the city.

The current pilot had few installed somewhere on Yonge between Lawrence and York Mills, and far out on Sheppard East toward Malvern. Would love to hear an update on that from someone in this string.

And it's going to look a lot like this:

Last edited:

Back