News   Oct 18, 2024
 2.8K     8 
News   Oct 18, 2024
 350     0 
News   Oct 18, 2024
 1K     4 

Roads: Post on TO Viaduct "proposal"

The viaduct is never going to happen - the ramps, support structures and other necessary engineering, once you dug into the details, would have been huge, expensive, and death everything around it - but a miniature version serving as an express route from Church to the DVP might just work and would not be much different from what some are proposing now.

I can understand your point of view . But who says the viaduct has to clime so high as the Burlington skyway. There no ships that are going to past underneath it. I like the suspension cables part because they look appealing and the serve a purpose . You don't need many pillars to support the viaduct bridge making it very spacious underneath for park land etc. Ramps for exiting on and off the bridge could run underneath climbing and resending certain exits like Spadina ave . If there's a will there's a way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like it or not you have more tourist coming to Toronto than Niagara. Which makes you're town more into tourism than my town. That why I feel this vision should come to life . You can't see how the Gardiner expressway bridge kills the image of the down town. You have an historical area that created the city called Fort York .And its view is covered be an elevated highway .a grand boulevard would connect*the fort with the downtown financial district. I would rather walk down a street looking like Victoria Park in the falls than under an elevated highway to get to the fort or the exhibition place . it more pleasant.
Our downtown seems to be doing just fine.

Besides, there are much more pressing things to be spending money on (ie. transit expansion) than this bridge that doesn't really have any purpose other than "looking world-class".

If anything, there should be a giant, iconic, bridge to the islands.

And we should create multiple islands in rings like Amsterdam, using all the soil from all the subways & condos we're going to build to continuously expand the Leslie Spit. Then we build a network of bridges between all these islands. It'll be like Venice.

actually, it does. the Embarcadero Freeway collapsed in an 1989 earthquake.

1280px-Cypress_structure.jpeg

What if there were an earthquake? Please don't say that Toronto never had earthquakes (it did, but are no higher than magnitude 5).

It will be designed for an earthquake. The one in 1000 year EQ I believe. Toronto is in Zone 1 (out of 6) so that 1000 year return period earthquake is not too big.

If there was an earthquake I believe the viaduct project would survive a magnitude of 5 or 6 . Anyway the Gardener expressway has out done its time and you need to build a new expressway. So choose your poison . Tear it apart and rebuild with all the construction going on downtown. which will take for ever. Dig underground like the big dig in Boston. Another time consuming job. Or have most of the viaduct bridge constructed somewhere else,being prefabricated then shipped by boat .Hey get this by rail too ! Gee isn't it going to be constructed on rail lands ?.
Not only will the viaduct project be used as a expressway and light rail transit for trams on top of the roadway. Underneath will be an indoor all seasonal park like bike path for the condo dwellers to use all year for exercising. And its lighting and electrical will be run by solar power panels located between the arched pillars. That's why I think this is a good project . It can be built faster and more efficient than those other projects .thanks !

Last edited:
I heard from a person that it would cost about 600 million us dollars to build France's Millau viaduct. The largest of its kind in the world . I took only three years to build on time and in budget. I wonder how much it would cost to this one if it were to be built ?

There's no "if". It will never, ever be built. New highways in the sky are not on the radar for Toronto. The average person does not want a new freeway over the rail corridor, but they certainly seem to salivate when Oxford and Ivanhoé Cambridge talk about including new parks across the rails as part of their development projects.

I'm with you and I've said it before in one of my post. I think the railway corridor should be covered starting from the Fort York area right up to the Don valley parkway with some form of park land and recreation areas for tourist and locals to enjoy. And over it would be the viaduct's decorative lamps that could offer some light to the parks below at night. Even if some of the don't like the highway system running above the railand. Having a viaduct that has an indoor walkway that can be used all year round. And even running an electric tram system that runs from the CNE to the lower Down Lands would be great for the locals and tourist to get around. You can always bury the Gardener expressway.

What's the storey on the Gardiner anyway?

Storey about the expressway is that something has to be done with it because its falling apart. Refurbishing it up in my opinion is a waste of time. Too many pillars to fix up and it gives that caged in look between the financial and waterfront districts. The viaduct or tunnels are better solutions for a freeway road access. I think the viaduct the cheaper way to go. And won't disturb the traffic flow while its being built.

Back