News   Jul 15, 2024
 282     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 425     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.9K     1 

Roads: Ontario/GTA Highways Discussion

I forgot to add: "there is nothing there to help 410."

To be fair though, there aren't very many bypass options that will help congestion on the 410 (unlike Highway 401, Highway 400, Highway 6, Highway 7, etc). From a traffic flow perspective, the only way to relieve congestion on the 410 (ignoring transit options), is to widen it. Even the N-S highway planned for around the 401-407 interchange won't help the 410 very much.

His map was exclusively showing new highways, not widened ones.

To be fair though, there aren't very many bypass options that will help congestion on the 410 (unlike Highway 401, Highway 400, Highway 6, Highway 7, etc). From a traffic flow perspective, the only way to relieve congestion on the 410 (ignoring transit options), is to widen it. Even the N-S highway planned for around the 401-407 interchange won't help the 410 very much.

His map was exclusively showing new highways, not widened ones.

I think widening the 410 is a solution of limited potential.....not enough room in the corridor to widen by more than 1 lane each way and that is not the answer......serving a city that size by linking it with the main regional roadway system with 1 centrally located N/S highway not only creates the sort of congestion evident on the road....but it creates the sort of east west congestion that is evident on all of Brampton's major roads......as people traverse the city to get to the 410.

What is needed is that N-S highway in the west (which will be a preferred route for people in the west end of town (and the Northwest is major growth sector in Brampton) AND a N/S roadway in the East (could be the 427...but the preferred route for that seems to be a bit far east).

Frankly, the "moving people around" needs of Brampton have been so long neglected that I think a more radical approach is worth a shot.......just tell people in Brampton that there will not be another inch or lane of highway constructed in or near the city......instead, focus will be on bringing to Brampton the highest levels of rapid transit service available in the GTA outside of downtown Toronto.

So, whatever people deems as the fair share of provincial funds for transport to be allocated to Brampton will go towards rapid deployment of a fully electrified, 15 minute frequency, 7 days a week, all day GO service.....plus the Hurontario LRT will go through Brampton (tunneled through the narrow downtown streets - say from Nanwood to Vodden) and extending up Main to Sandalwood into the Heart Lake transit terminal.....and an east end LRT that starts at that Heart Lake area goes along Sandalwood to Airport....runs down Airport to the Malton GO then connects to the aiport terminals (replacing the people mover from the Viscount Parking to the terminal).

East west Zum routes would continue to expand to connect the two LRTs....and those routes would be given full signal control systems so they always had right of way over cars and provided rapid links to between the two LRTs.

Radical stuff......but the road/highway system has been so long neglected that I believe it is beyond the stage where it could possibly catch up.

The combination of lack of road lanes and lack of inter-city transit (both provincial jurisdiction) and a provincial policy that encourages further population growth in an underserved city of over 1/2 million people....is bordering on criminal neglect.

climbing off soapbox now.

any idea on the timelines for the upgrading of highway 11 to make it into the 411? I use that road regularly, and wonder when it will become a full freeway.

any idea on the timelines for the upgrading of highway 11 to make it into the 411? I use that road regularly, and wonder when it will become a full freeway.

I went up to North Bay this summer and it seemed like the work to twin the highway was almost done.

i meant the part between barrie and gravenhurst that has stores on the side still.

Good question. My guess is that would be about on the same timeframe as the upgrade of Highway 35/115 between the 401 and where it becomes a full freeway, especially when the 407 East connection comes in.

That stretch of Highway 11 even has houses fronting onto it still. You have to wonder what kind of cost there would be in a) providing alternative connections to all of those homes, b) expropriating them, or c) building a bypass highway.

Looking at how long that stretch is, I'm almost tempted to suggest that it would make sense to take Highway 404 up around the east side of Lake Simcoe and connect with the full freeway stretch of Highway 11 around Bracebridge. Just keep the twinned but not full freeway section of Highway 11 as a connector between the 404 and the 400. That way it would be signed Highway 404 up to North Bay.

This would also be a huge reliever to the 400, and may even remove a lot of the need to widen the highway. It would be interesting to see a cost-benefit analysis of that option, to see if the sum of everything required (400 widening, 11 expropriations/alternative accesses) would be more expensive than just building a new extension of Highway 404.

Good question. My guess is that would be about on the same timeframe as the upgrade of Highway 35/115 between the 401 and where it becomes a full freeway, especially when the 407 East connection comes in.

That stretch of Highway 11 even has houses fronting onto it still. You have to wonder what kind of cost there would be in a) providing alternative connections to all of those homes, b) expropriating them, or c) building a bypass highway.

Looking at how long that stretch is, I'm almost tempted to suggest that it would make sense to take Highway 404 up around the east side of Lake Simcoe and connect with the full freeway stretch of Highway 11 around Bracebridge. Just keep the twinned but not full freeway section of Highway 11 as a connector between the 404 and the 400. That way it would be signed Highway 404 up to North Bay.

This would also be a huge reliever to the 400, and may even remove a lot of the need to widen the highway. It would be interesting to see a cost-benefit analysis of that option, to see if the sum of everything required (400 widening, 11 expropriations/alternative accesses) would be more expensive than just building a new extension of Highway 404.

The EA for improvements to 11 for part of that distance, from Washago to Gravenhurst has just been completed, with the Transportation Environmental Study Report (TESR) available for comment until Sept 17. Lots more info at: http://www.highway11study.ca/index.html

I think widening the 410 is a solution of limited potential.....not enough room in the corridor to widen by more than 1 lane each way and that is not the answer......serving a city that size by linking it with the main regional roadway system with 1 centrally located N/S highway not only creates the sort of congestion evident on the road....but it creates the sort of east west congestion that is evident on all of Brampton's major roads......as people traverse the city to get to the 410.

What is needed is that N-S highway in the west (which will be a preferred route for people in the west end of town (and the Northwest is major growth sector in Brampton) AND a N/S roadway in the East (could be the 427...but the preferred route for that seems to be a bit far east).

Frankly, the "moving people around" needs of Brampton have been so long neglected that I think a more radical approach is worth a shot.......just tell people in Brampton that there will not be another inch or lane of highway constructed in or near the city......instead, focus will be on bringing to Brampton the highest levels of rapid transit service available in the GTA outside of downtown Toronto.

So, whatever people deems as the fair share of provincial funds for transport to be allocated to Brampton will go towards rapid deployment of a fully electrified, 15 minute frequency, 7 days a week, all day GO service.....plus the Hurontario LRT will go through Brampton (tunneled through the narrow downtown streets - say from Nanwood to Vodden) and extending up Main to Sandalwood into the Heart Lake transit terminal.....and an east end LRT that starts at that Heart Lake area goes along Sandalwood to Airport....runs down Airport to the Malton GO then connects to the aiport terminals (replacing the people mover from the Viscount Parking to the terminal).

East west Zum routes would continue to expand to connect the two LRTs....and those routes would be given full signal control systems so they always had right of way over cars and provided rapid links to between the two LRTs.

Radical stuff......but the road/highway system has been so long neglected that I believe it is beyond the stage where it could possibly catch up.

The combination of lack of road lanes and lack of inter-city transit (both provincial jurisdiction) and a provincial policy that encourages further population growth in an underserved city of over 1/2 million people....is bordering on criminal neglect.

climbing off soapbox now.

guess what? we may not have land on the ground to widen a highway, but we can build upwards, we can build an elevated highway like they do in montreal when we run out of land

guess what? we may not have land on the ground to widen a highway, but we can build upwards, we can build an elevated highway like they do in montreal when we run out of land

Not only do I highly doubt the 410 (or any Ontario highway) is going to be double-decked but the solution to the 410 (if it is to come via road building) is not via more lanes on the 410 itself.....it would be via building parallel N/S highways in the east and west ends of Brampton.

Just drove from Kirkland Lake to Kitchener today. Highway 11 isn't yet fully twinned despite reports saying so. There is still construction going on in Huntsville and Powassan that brings traffic back to two lanes; however, it is on the verge of completion.

Looking at BurlOak's map, I seem to recall one of the options under consideration to address the issue of RIRO access to Highway 11 between Orillia and Barrie was a brand new alignment. That would seem to gel with the proposed Highway 427 alignment bypassing Barrie. Perhaps in the future Highway 11 will be renumbered to 427... just a thought.

Does anyone know if they'll also be upgrading the 11/400 interchange as part of this upgrade?

Back