News   Apr 18, 2024
 171     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 500     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.8K     0 

Roads: Ontario/GTA Highways Discussion

If the walls 'collect' the smog and other particles over the course of their lifespan. I would assume that they hold the smog within like a carbon capture type program. Would that not then be released upon decommissioning or any potential damage to the unit?
Carbon capture schemes are just that. From across the Pacific our Australian cousins have it right.

It’s planned to get extended to the 413.

Yes - though no indication of if 427 (or 410) include a contingency for future extension beyond that.

1632110796440.png

Yes - though no indication of if 427 (or 410) include a contingency for future extension beyond that.

View attachment 350245

From what I recall the detail alignment drawings for the 413 do not really allow for a northward extension, and the ramps look pretty similar to those at the 412/407. Not to say that a future extension hasn't been accommodated for in a way that doesn't immediately jump out though.

The 413 is in serious question right now anyway. I would be surprised if it is built.

Was down Windsor way this weekend and they are widening the section through Tilbury towards Chatham already.
There also was a bunch of shifts heading East bound through Cambridge and Mississauga so they could work on the interior lanes. Didn't get photos because I was driving alone.

From what I recall the detail alignment drawings for the 413 do not really allow for a northward extension, and the ramps look pretty similar to those at the 412/407. Not to say that a future extension hasn't been accommodated for in a way that doesn't immediately jump out though.
1632161420387.png

Looks like you might be able to convert it to a stack with a few extra ramps although they probably won't leave enough room underneath bridges for it.

Last edited:
Actually no. The thing about Trumpet interchanges (what we see here) is precisely that they are designed in such a way to make them easily convertible to A4 Paclos.

If we look at the diagram here that I edited in GIMP in 2 seconds, if we get rid of a few key sections you can basically turn it into an A4, and this is with a trumpet design that isn't favourable with conversion. While its hard to properly see in the video above, the off ramp to Major Mackenzie Eastbound is built 90deg parallel to Major Mack so it can be converted to a standard A4 offramp, and you can also see in the video that it travels quite a bit of distance from the highway so adding a new loop for a northbound on ramp would be quite simple. In short, this interchange is designed for future extensions, this isn't the end.
Nice! Thank you for the diagram.
The width of the overpass over Major Mackenzie is only 2 lanes though, so I imagine there would need to be a bridge twinning.

The only difference I see is that the old hwy 7 interchange had a single ramp from the northbound lanes leading to a signalized intersection where drivers can turn left (west) or right (east). The set up at major mavk as someone mentioned is more suitable for a future extension northward
oh I was speaking of even before the extension to zenway

oh I was speaking of even before the extension to zenway

Yes. Pre Zenway extension the interchange was configured such that NB 427 ended at a signalized intersection where drivers could turn left/West or right/East. WB hwy 7 to SB hwy 427 was the circular cloverleaf design. And EB hwy to SB hwy 427 was a slip ramp, basically a poor mans trumpet interchange

Comparing this to the Major Mack interchange the main difference is the separation of the NB/EB and NB/WB ramps and the slip ramp vs signalized intersection, which is a more typical trumpet interchange.

Last edited:
So I was thinking that the 410 should be extended north to Orangeville. heading on highway 10 I've been seeing crazy amounts of traffic. Does anyone know if the MTO is planning an extension, especially if the GTA West highway gets scrapped by the feds (which they absolutely should).

Not sure if it's been talked about, but the 35/115/7 through Peterboro has a quasi express/collector system. Noticed it a couple months ago, and it's kinda neat. Like a one lane express bypass.

Back