News   Jul 16, 2024
 264     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 384     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.1K     3 

Roads: Ontario/GTA Highways Discussion

Does anyone know what's going on with the ramp from the westbound 401 to southbound Black Creek? It closed in October for construction. The signs said it would be closed until November 30. It's still closed almost two weeks after it was supposed to open. Black Creek is almost an expressway. It needs the connection.

Do not put words in my mouth. They would not replace the 2+, but co-exist (if that's workable).
They won't go 3+, but many HOV are planned to be converted to HOV/HOT lanes.

I believe it is scheduled for 2020.
Extension with HOV open for 2020, HOV converted to HOV/HOT in 2021.

Does anyone know what's going on with the ramp from the westbound 401 to southbound Black Creek? It closed in October for construction. The signs said it would be closed until November 30. It's still closed almost two weeks after it was supposed to open. Black Creek is almost an expressway. It needs the connection.
Was closed for bridge work I believe. Should be re-opened any day now.

Toronto group proposes underground highway to ease congestion

CTCN_EXPRESSWAYS_COMMUTER_MAP_PIC_FOR_WEB_2017DEC18-768x432.jpg

Is that a buried Gardiner on yon dream map? As in the past, I volunteer my personal money and demolition skills to help make it happen. Much like flights to YVR from YTZ, the dream will never die!

The Get Toronto Moving Transportation Committee is proposing a six-lane tunneled highway that they say would help ease a lot of traffic woes. It would run from Highway 401 at Highway 2A in the east, to Highways 400, 427 and 402 in the west and would make Toronto home to the longest underground toll highway in the world.

Run to Highway 402 in the west? That can't be right lol. I had a feeling some idea similar to this would resurface. Remember when a councilor from Ward 2 talked about a subterranean highway from downtown to the airport years back? I'm sure that same individual will be all over this once again come election time.

Not promoting this in any way, but relative to other parts of the GTA Scarborough does actually have a dearth of an expressway system. And the concept of tunneling an expressway below the rail corridor is actually what the unbuilt Gardiner East morphed into (the plans can be seen from Get Toronto Moving's website). Can't see this expressway, or any new expwy within TO, working at all though.

They would need more parking spaces for store a motor vehicle for the 1.3 people per vehicle as they work in an office cubical that uses less real estate than that motor vehicle.

Should check out the book review on Rethinking A Lot: The Design and Culture of Parking
at the Spacing website, at this link.

Surface parking lots are ever-present in the contemporary city. Moovelab’s incredible visualization project What the Street!? that inventoried parking lots in 23 cities around the world found, for example, that car parking takes up 17,020,594 square meters of land in Los Angeles—roughly 1/6th the area of Vancouver. In fact, in 2010, it was estimated that 500 million surface parking lots exist in America alone. A number that has surely increased since then.

Its funny, I used to love ideas like this when I did a lot of highway driving. It becomes like a fantasy.

Now that I live and (mostly) work in the core, I just see adding more highways as bringing more traffic to downtown streets. Its a matter of perspective.

That being said, Im 30, I can pretty much guarantee this will not happen in the ~35 years before I retire. Were more likely to see a DRL and tolls on DVP and gardiner. Hell, were more likely to see highway STACKING, and thats also insanely unlikely.

Run to Highway 402 in the west? That can't be right lol..

Typo; they meant 403.

Personally I think this is a wonderful plan. Just look at the Gardiner, DVP and Black Creek Drive, they are a disaster and all that vehicular traffic will not disappear no matter how much public transit we build (which we should also be doing). This city is choking on gridlock.

While induced demand is definitely a thing, the projected future population of the GTA needs to get around somehow, and the more viable options they have, which obviously include RER, RL, Crosstown, etc, the better.

Furthermore, the toll business model has been proven to work. One only needs to look at the 407 ETR, a highway that works. Road pricing on this tunnel will regulate the traffic levels just as it does on the 407 ETR.

LOL, if they can find a private company/consortium that wants to take that on without government money, then hey, go ahead. Good luck to all the cars trying to exit onto downtown's street grid.

Agree - private investors and no public money - fill yer boots. I recall reading the Billions that Boston spent on its 'big dig' and I don't know if its distances compare to this proposal.
And good luck to cars stuck in tunnels behind the inevitable collisions. I wonder how they get emergency vehicles and wreckers to collision scenes in jam-packed tunnels? Of course, no trucks, motorcycles or pressurized gas powered vehicles (like Detroit tunnel). Maybe only electric vehicles?

Back