News   Oct 04, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Oct 04, 2024
 809     0 
News   Oct 04, 2024
 2.6K     4 

Roads: Ontario/GTA Highways Discussion

Great data! But the ratios of multi/sfh have dramatically changed since 2015 to 80% multi for the whole region and beyond. There has also been a huge increase in rail expansion that is about to begin operating with no road capacity increase.

I’m not saying that you are misguided but the economy/built environment have gone through a paradigm shift to reflect new global realities.

Thanks!

I was thinking of that point too before I posted it - but that assumes that everyone that lives in a 905 condo or townhouse, for example, is only seeing other people nearby. Picture the condos around VMC. Yes, it's dense. Is there a realistic expectation that most people there will be using transit to get around? Groceries? Kids school dropoffs? Weekends? A few will, sure, but nearly everything you want to do in York region requires a car.

Admittedly there may be more households that only need one car vs two, so the rate of car ownership may start to decrease among these new households

parking ratios in VMC have varied from over 1 space per unit to as little as one parking space for every three units.

People are definitely still driving, but not at rates which would have originally been anticipated in 2013.

This is a good thing.

We want people to drive as little as possible. It would be impossible to accommodate the growth coming to the GTA if we didn't shift modal shares as aggressively as possible.

But we also realistically have to look at how many people are not actually driving, and if you look at that, the number of cars on the road in the GTA does indeed increase every year.

The good news is that it's generally happening slower than originally anticipated. The bad news is that the original anticipation projected ridiculously terrible traffic in the GTA, so we are only doing slightly better than that. It also projected most major highways in the GTA getting major capacity expansion by 2031, which we are not on track to complete. (401 to Kitchener, QEW to Niagara, 400 to Barrie, etc.).

We are still seeing significant auto trip growth in the GTA though, and we need to plan for that.

Another thing to consider is that the postWW2 zoning that existed is now basically gone across the board thus changing travel patterns.

Another thing to consider is that the postWW2 zoning that existed is now basically gone across the board thus changing travel patterns.
Great point. That should definitely help with intensification. Even something as simple as many new infill houses only having space for one car will help control the growth of cars.

parking ratios in VMC have varied from over 1 space per unit to as little as one parking space for every three units.

Wow 1:3, that's much less than I would have thought. Definitely great to see. No question that better transit access makes it easier to get by with no/fewer cars for some new residents

....population growth is a policy choice that can be undone with the stroke of a pen?

I'd point out that the GTA was expanding by about 100,000 people per year before the post-COVID population surge. These people need to live somewhere, and most of that growth is in suburban areas.
Yes, the growth is a government policy i.e. a choice. A choice that is demonstrably hurting the economy, infrastructure, environment and more.

that depends a lot on your ability to actually shift modal shares.

I've done the math before, but at the population growth rates we are experiencing transit ridership in the GTA would need to see something like 30% annual ridership growth every year, with no gaps, in order to entirely offset auto trip growth. And that has nothing to do with improving over existing congestion levels.

We absolutely need to minimize auto trip growth as much as possible, and in fact are generally doing a better job than the assumptions in the original 413 study (which is great news!) - but we need basically impossible levels of transit growth to entirely offset new auto trips created through population growth.

And as great as it is that we are seeing transit ridership growth faster than expected, we are also growing much faster than originally expected as a whole. We need new transit infrastructure, and lots of it. But we also need new roads.
I agree, but that's not what I'm referring to. We need to stop the unsustainable growth given we can't cope even with the existing amount of people/demand on our infrastructure.

We want people to drive as little as possible. It would be impossible to accommodate the growth coming to the GTA if we didn't shift modal shares as aggressively as possible.
That's the issue: the assumption that we need the growth. We don't.

An election pledge to buy the 407 and remove the tolls would buy all the suburban Toronto votes
And then it's as full as the 401. While 401 fills back up in a equivalent amount of time. I've driven on the 407 at peak time before, the average speed is drops to below 90km/hr, people pay a premium to not stuck in traffic.

In that case, would it be made "free" or remain a toll given the law about all new freeways not being tolled aside from this one? I'd imagine it would still attract more people if it was publicly owned but still towed (granted, would the province still charge a premium? Is Durham portion the 407 considered a rip off?).
Durham portion of 407 is significantly cheaper per km than the ETR portion. 34c per km in peak vs 71c, overnight off peak price is 22c per km vs 30c. So meaning to drive the 407 from the 401 in Milton to 404 (49km) would cost $35 in current prices at peak but about $17 with the peak province rate
I'd be all for reducing off-peak tolls or allowing trucks on it from 10am-3pm and 7pm-7am or something though. The 407 has a significant amount of excess capacity in the off peak hours during which much of the rest of the freeway network still experiences regular congestion which it could help with.
The current off peak rate 7pm - 6am is like 40% of the current peak rate of 70c per km though I think it should be lowered more... because often I've used the highway at 8pm and it's virtually empty. But it's still significantly faster than taking the 401

Yes, the growth is a government policy i.e. a choice. A choice that is demonstrably hurting the economy, infrastructure, environment and more.

I agree, but that's not what I'm referring to. We need to stop the unsustainable growth given we can't cope even with the existing amount of people/demand on our infrastructure.

That's the issue: the assumption that we need the growth. We don't.
Obviously reducing growth is a good idea- everyone can see that. But…. We are playing the hand dealt.

Zero growth is not realistic though. It’s also not good to be incapable of responding to changes in growth. Freezing things will let us catch up, but not provide an excuse to do nothing.

The current off peak rate 7pm - 6am is like 40% of the current peak rate of 70c per km though I think it should be lowered more... because often I've used the highway at 8pm and it's virtually empty. But it's still significantly faster than taking the 401
If we were run by grownups, we would have road tolls that are around 407 levels at peak (that's what's needed for highways to function) and <$0.10/km approaching zero off-peak. Could you imagine the land use and travel pattern changes if it cost $40 to drive each way across the city at peak?

Back