News   Jul 11, 2024
 229     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 564     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 2.2K     2 

Roads: Ontario/GTA Highways Discussion

That belongs to the company though ... and it's not quite the same company that has the franchise for the 407 extension.

Except that tolling for the east extension WILL be handled by 407ETR. Yes, the province will own it and set toll rates, but operationally they will be a continuous highway (except that per-km toll rates in the east may differ from the existing sections).

Given that, this may well end up using the company's ETR brand.

Wait isn't the new 407 stretch going to be called 407 East?

Technically there will be two 407s: 407ETR and 407E. I'm not sure if the exit numbers will revert to 0 at the switch since it is all the 407 and the province will (eventually) regain ownership of 407 ETR.

Oh another small update elsewhere in the province: the Highway 402 widening/reconstruction is nearly done in Sarina... Finishing touches will be added in the spring if I recall correctly.

Wait isn't the new 407 stretch going to be called 407 East?

Technically there will be two 407s: 407ETR and 407E. I'm not sure if the exit numbers will revert to 0 at the switch since it is all the 407 and the province will (eventually) regain ownership of 407 ETR.
The exit numbers would not revert to 0. They are intending to make the extension as reasonably continuous with the existing highway as possible.

Here's a video I shot of the 407 back in 1995 when it was under construction:

[video=youtube_share;tmffveC_uCg]http://youtu.be/tmffveC_uCg[/video]

Always good to hear. I expect his lawsuit to be shot down, there is no way he has the right to hold a private monopoly on one of the most important border crossings on the planet.

Browsing around the Windsor Star site, they've got some nice new pictures of the Herb Gray Parkway under construction:

http://blogs.windsorstar.com/2013/04/04/birds-eye-view-of-parkway-with-vid/

It's interesting to see the large decked-over sections going in:
1parkway_aerials-14.jpg

Always good to hear. I expect his lawsuit to be shot down, there is no way he has the right to hold a private monopoly on one of the most important border crossings on the planet.

The problem is that he owns the land where the US end of the bridge will meet the interstate. He could keep this circulating through the courts for years.

I think one of the top priorities for Ontario has to be a northern London bypass.

The 401 from London to Woodstock is a very busy stretch and increasingly dangerous with the huge amount of transport traffic. The 402 was never suppose to take the route it did but rather was suppose to continue east from Strathroy about 1 km north of London and hook up with the 403 at Woodstock. The reason it didn't is because the wealthy northern Londoners didn't want it led by the Labbatt family.

Northern London is the fastest growing area of the city and to get to the 401 can take 30 to 45 minutes in rush hour as London has no urban freeways. I know of people who live in Northern London who actually take HWY #4 north up to Lucan, and then head east to Stratford/Kitchener to get to Toronto as it is faster and certainly a more relaxing drive. The 403/Woodstock interchnage is parallel to Northern London so you are effectively heading south to the 401 for 12km to head right back up north.
This would be the equivalent of someone living at NYC having to head down to the Gardiner and then back up the 427 when trying to get to Kitchener.

The province is already having to look at widening the stretch to 8 lanes which will be a very costly project as widening to 6 lane is relatively easy with the bridges/overpasses but widening to 8 means a reconstruction of every bridge/overpass from London to Woodstock. An extension would not only serve northern Londoners but also Strathroy commuters and would greatly relieve traffic on the 401. Many don't realize that just west of London, 45% of the traffic merges off to the 402 towards Sarnia including 40% of the transport traffic...........it has become a very busy road.

construction seems to be beginning for the 407 finally.. I saw some AECON shipping containers at the end of the highway on Tuesday.

I think one of the top priorities for Ontario has to be a northern London bypass.

The 401 from London to Woodstock is a very busy stretch and increasingly dangerous with the huge amount of transport traffic. The 402 was never suppose to take the route it did but rather was suppose to continue east from Strathroy about 1 km north of London and hook up with the 403 at Woodstock. The reason it didn't is because the wealthy northern Londoners didn't want it led by the Labbatt family.

Northern London is the fastest growing area of the city and to get to the 401 can take 30 to 45 minutes in rush hour as London has no urban freeways. I know of people who live in Northern London who actually take HWY #4 north up to Lucan, and then head east to Stratford/Kitchener to get to Toronto as it is faster and certainly a more relaxing drive. The 403/Woodstock interchnage is parallel to Northern London so you are effectively heading south to the 401 for 12km to head right back up north.
This would be the equivalent of someone living at NYC having to head down to the Gardiner and then back up the 427 when trying to get to Kitchener.

The province is already having to look at widening the stretch to 8 lanes which will be a very costly project as widening to 6 lane is relatively easy with the bridges/overpasses but widening to 8 means a reconstruction of every bridge/overpass from London to Woodstock. An extension would not only serve northern Londoners but also Strathroy commuters and would greatly relieve traffic on the 401. Many don't realize that just west of London, 45% of the traffic merges off to the 402 towards Sarnia including 40% of the transport traffic...........it has become a very busy road.

I wouldn't call it the highest priority (I give that honour to Highway 6 between Guelph and Burlington) but it is one of the few highway links that I could see justification for constructing. I would be wary however of constructing any new ring road around London without some serious sprawl controls in place.In addition, there are many underutilized rail corridors in the area which could be put to better use in moving people within London and to outlying communities.

Back