News   Jul 15, 2024
 24     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 493     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 596     1 

Roads: Ontario/GTA Highways Discussion

Good question. Hanlan Parkway is slowly being converted from an expressway to a freeway
You might want to try that again in Ontario English rather than California English ... as anyone who isn't familiar with the road in question would be scratching their heads.

(Shon is using a definition of expressway where you can have frequent traffic lights on it, while a freeway doesn't).

Very slow conversion ... with 1 interchange every 15 years, they should be finished by 2100 or so ... :)

Highway 7 in Peel goes by 3 names

one is the former provincial highway 7, they still call it that, some businesses still use the name highway 7 in their address or refer to the intersection as highway 7 and so and so. THey also go by the civic name, so one part of hwy 7 is called bouvaird, the other part of highway 7 is known as queen street

Top it off, the entire highway 7 is also known as peel regional road 107. peel regional road 7 was taken up, which would have made more sense, oh well

...which is an excellent argument for Ontario to have laid off w/the downloading in the 1990s. Or at least, to retain the numbered-highway status even while offloading responsibility.

Or, conversely--if it's meaningless to anyone under 50, just ditch the whole system entirely, other than the 400 series. At this point, remaining labels like "Highway 7" are holdover archaisms like "Fifth Line"...

Highway 7 in Peel goes by 3 names

one is the former provincial highway 7, they still call it that, some businesses still use the name highway 7 in their address or refer to the intersection as highway 7 and so and so. THey also go by the civic name, so one part of hwy 7 is called bouvaird, the other part of highway 7 is known as queen street

Top it off, the entire highway 7 is also known as peel regional road 107. peel regional road 7 was taken up, which would have made more sense, oh well

I work in Brampton, and I've never heard any coworkers say Highway 7.

Bovaird is Bovaird, Queen is Queen.

Highway 7 to me is in York Region. Highway 7 in Peel never made sense anyway. Google Maps shows Hwy 410 cosigned as Hwy 7 and RR 107 for a section, which according to this Peel map is not correct http://www.peelregion.ca/pw/roads/road-map/pdf/peelroad-map3.pdf

I honestly don't know who these people are you know who use defunct terms like Highway 10, 7, 5 and 2 for Hurontario, Bovaird/Queen, Dundas and Lakeshore.

Although the fact that you can't even spell Bovaird might have something to do with it.

...which is an excellent argument for Ontario to have laid off w/the downloading in the 1990s. Or at least, to retain the numbered-highway status even while offloading responsibility.

Or, conversely--if it's meaningless to anyone under 50, just ditch the whole system entirely, other than the 400 series. At this point, remaining labels like "Highway 7" are holdover archaisms like "Fifth Line"...

I'm sure if Mississauga had someone notable to name Ninth and Tenth Lines after we would (we already renamed portions of Second Line). Although at this point it may be too late to rename them, just as it may be too late to rename Highway 7 in York.

Last edited:

Highway 7 to me is in York Region. Highway 7 in Peel never made sense anyway. Google Maps shows Hwy 410 cosigned as Hwy 7 and RR 107 for a section, which according to this Peel map is not correct http://www.peelregion.ca/pw/roads/road-map/pdf/peelroad-map3.pdf

I honestly don't know who these people are you know who use defunct terms like Highway 10, 7, 5 and 2 for Hurontario, Bovaird/Queen, Dundas and Lakeshore.

Although the fact that you can't even spell Bovaird might have something to do with it.

I'm sure if Mississauga had someone notable to name Ninth and Tenth Lines after we would (we already renamed portions of Second Line). Although at this point it may be too late to rename them, just as it may be too late to rename Highway 7 in York.

I have lived here for the better part of 40 years and can tell you that 1) growing up and now it is very common to here people refer to Hurontario as "10"......2). It hearing queen referred to as "7" was more common years ago but less so now.....I think it was commoner when queen/7 were interchangeable right through town from mississauga rd to 50. Once "7" re-routed up 410 to continue west on Bovaird the use of "7" seemed to fade out.

Well, for that matter, you can say the same about "Highway 11" in York Region, as opposed to "Yonge Street"...

I guess all those years you lived in brampton you had no idea the shopping centre at Highway 410 and Highway 7 was called 410@7? Guess they didnt pull that name from a hat, they actually used the name of the cross intersection of the 2 provincial highways where the plaza is directly proportional to. Gee, that would make sense. Also I wonder how the highway 10 pharmacy on highway 10 got its name

I honestly don't know who these people are you know who use defunct terms like Highway 10

Actually, CC, people do say Highway 10 a lot. I hate it and think it's stupid, but people do call it that.

I think it was commoner when queen/7 were interchangeable right through town from mississauga rd to 50.

Highway 7 never followed Queen all the way to Mississauga Rd. it went up Main St.

Highway 7 never followed Queen all the way to Mississauga Rd. it went up Main St.

Thanks for the info....I guess that just shows that you can't predict what the common every day guy will say/think.....my whole time growing up people called it "7" the whole way.

Thanks for the info....I guess that just shows that you can't predict what the common every day guy will say/think.....my whole time growing up people called it "7" the whole way.

Being out of town I'll call it 7 but I'll refer to Highway 10 as Hurontario Street. Does that make any sense?

Equal levels of sense exhibited ;)

not sure what street is that? is that the same regional road thats co-signed with the former provincial highway number?
That would be the street that has multiple Hurontario signs at every intersection. It doesn't have Highway 10 signs at most intersections. If you tell someone from out of town to drive down Bristol until they get to Highway 10 ... they'd miss it, and they would end up skating on thin ice.

And it's the Hurontario-Main LRT, not the Highway 10 LRT.

I think the reason Highway 7 didn't really stick in Peel is due to the odd routing. That and the fact the portions of it in Brampton have names. Anyone know if the Highway 7 moniker came first, or Queen St and Bovaird came first?

I was actually trying to follow the Highway 7 routing on Google Maps, but it's just so ridiculously convoluted I gave up. If it actually made sense it might have made sense to keep it, but it doesn't.

Looking at the map, there's a Highway 8 nearby it, so if the new Highway 7 takes a 400-series name and they can't use 407, I think 408 would be a good option. I checked, and there is no 408 as yet.

Last edited:
I think the reason Highway 7 didn't really stick in Peel is due to the odd routing. That and the fact the portions of it in Brampton have names. Anyone know if the Highway 7 moniker came first, or Queen St and Bovaird came first?
Well, Highway 7 was numbered in 1920, but only from Guelph west. The piece through Brampton was added sometime in the 1920s. So when was Queen and Boivard named? The roads are certainly older, but I don't know when they were named. I'd assume Queen Street long pre-dates the 1920s.

Back