2.7K     7 
News   Mar 04, 2021
 988     0 

Roads: Ontario/GTA Highways Discussion

W. K. Lis

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
If the 401/Yonge Street interchange is redesigned competently it could go a long way in making that area less of a death trap to people walking or biking. And between the bike lanes set to be installed on Yonge next year, the Yonge redesign in North York that will hopefully get approved tomorrow, and this project we could someday have a pretty decent north-south cycling route along the Yonge corridor.

I know, that's a lot of ifs.

I think it would make even more sense economically to expand intercity rail and other highways to spread out traffic. The 401 is mainly the lifeblood because we have so few other routes. Quebec, for example, has two highways from Montreal to Quebec City. Instead of widening the 401 east of Cobourg to 6 lanes, we could expand Highway 7 between Peterborough and Carleton Place, which is a more direct route and would divert a large amount of traffic off the 401. It would also bring economic benefits to that part of eastern Ontario. Via's HFR plan has the potential to expand the modal share of trains significantly, reducing pressure on the 401 further. Similarly, substantial rail expansion to southwestern Ontario and Niagara would do the same there.

It is at some interchanges, like Highway 7 at the 404. Pedestrians are still forced to cross an on-ramp though, dodging accelerating cars. The standard MTO design for interchanges is awful for anyone who's not in a car.

ARG1

Member Bio
Reaction score
"If you are familiar with the Yonge-401 interchange you probably noticed that it isn't well suited for any modes of transportation other than cars and trucks".
I love how he says that, even though the interchange is infamous for not even being car friendly. Turning left onto Lord Seaton to access 401 East still gives me PTSD.

Deadpool X

Member Bio
Reaction score
That left turn is so whacky (and even the right turn when coming from south and entering 401 east). I don't remember seeing something like that at any other 400 series highway, let aside Yonge and 401!

Whenever I take that entry, I see the cars stopped at the stop sign at Lord Seaton road and I wonder if they can even find a gap on such a busy on ramp.

ShonTron

Member Bio
Reaction score
That left turn is so whacky (and even the right turn when coming from south and entering 401 east). I don't remember seeing something like that at any other 400 series highway, let aside Yonge and 401!

Whenever I take that entry, I see the cars stopped at the stop sign at Lord Seaton road and I wonder if they can even find a gap on such a busy on ramp.

There’s a few odd interchange configurations on 400-series highways. The Queensway in Ottawa (Highway 417) has some old-school urban American-style on and off ramps. Some of the St. Catharines exits off the QEW are unusual as well. Of course, there’s the Canal Road exit off the 400.

Given the geometry restrictions caused by the West Don ravine, something unusual was required here.

drum118

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Dec 10
They are building the forms for the new piers for the centre lanes over Etobicoke Creek. They are building new ramp support and bridge for the eastbound ramp to Evans Ave as well shifting the ramp off lane west of the creek.

Real hard to get shots of the area other than shooting from the car with someone else driving.

lenaitch

Member Bio
Reaction score
There’s a few odd interchange configurations on 400-series highways. The Queensway in Ottawa (Highway 417) has some old-school urban American-style on and off ramps. Some of the St. Catharines exits off the QEW are unusual as well. Of course, there’s the Canal Road exit off the 400.

Given the geometry restrictions caused by the West Don ravine, something unusual was required here.

And I think that is the key. Local conditions forced some compromises that generally worked with the traffic volumes of the time. I'm actually surprised that Canal Rd. has survived this long, especially after the 5th Line interchange was built.

lenaitch

Member Bio
Reaction score
^^ Not as easy to do legally in many built up areas. Different zones carry different restrictions, some extending all the way to ground level.

drum118

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Drones are a thing. Good drones cost less than even medium-end smartphones.
Sorry, but have no room to carry one when using transit as well being illegal in many areas of my travels. Leave the drones to the drone folks.

terag51

Member Bio
Reaction score
And I think that is the key. Local conditions forced some compromises that generally worked with the traffic volumes of the time. I'm actually surprised that Canal Rd. has survived this long, especially after the 5th Line interchange was built.
I predict that the Canal Road exit will remain until the North Canal Bridge is rebuilt, which at that time, the exit will also be removed.

Transportfan

Member Bio
Reaction score

It was supposed to be closed last year.

Steve X

Member Bio
Reaction score
Then there's those low speed substandard 427 ramps that was suppose to close if they reconfigurate all the interchanges. Maybe one day they'll fix the 427 collectors weaving issues and let drivers actually stay in one lane.

innsertnamehere

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Canal Rd. was always the worst to me. I'm surprised MTO has allowed it to exist for so long on a "400 series" freeway, considering it's essentially an at grade intersection.

Dixie Rd was the next worst, though it too is about to be replaced with a modern Parclo.

After that, it's probably Thorold Stone Rd in Niagara for my least favourite interchange. Just a very odd shape and alignment. Then the 401 exits in Oshawa. Don't get me started on the exits on the DVP and Gardiner.

The exit in Grimsby is also fairly unusual, though built to modern standards.

My favourite interchange is probably King/Main on the 403 in Hamilton though. While intensely anti-urban, it's a very fascinating and unique interchange design, and is very impressive to drive through.

Woodbridge_Heights

Member Bio
Reaction score
Canal Rd. was always the worst to me. I'm surprised MTO has allowed it to exist for so long on a "400 series" freeway, considering it's essentially an at grade intersection.

Dixie Rd was the next worst, though it too is about to be replaced with a modern Parclo.

After that, it's probably Thorold Stone Rd in Niagara for my least favourite interchange. Just a very odd shape and alignment. Then the 401 exits in Oshawa. Don't get me started on the exits on the DVP and Gardiner.

The exit in Grimsby is also fairly unusual, though built to modern standards.

My favourite interchange is probably King/Main on the 403 in Hamilton though. While intensely anti-urban, it's a very fascinating and unique interchange design, and is very impressive to drive through.

God Oshawa's ramps are awful. I purposefully avoid the Stevenson interchange because it's so aweful