News   Mar 28, 2024
 475     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 316     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 331     0 

Roads: Ontario/GTA Highways Discussion

Dec 10
They are building the forms for the new piers for the centre lanes over Etobicoke Creek. They are building new ramp support and bridge for the eastbound ramp to Evans Ave as well shifting the ramp off lane west of the creek.

Real hard to get shots of the area other than shooting from the car with someone else driving.
50728602192_5536c5801f_b.jpg

50727777818_4c67e6a978_b.jpg

50727777298_2217b444c5_b.jpg

50727777083_a87e6e1f59_b.jpg

50728503496_6f3a548088_b.jpg

50728601112_c08c1e600d_b.jpg

50727776633_97f2b3b90e_b.jpg

50728600887_4f1636684f_b.jpg

There’s a few odd interchange configurations on 400-series highways. The Queensway in Ottawa (Highway 417) has some old-school urban American-style on and off ramps. Some of the St. Catharines exits off the QEW are unusual as well. Of course, there’s the Canal Road exit off the 400.

Given the geometry restrictions caused by the West Don ravine, something unusual was required here.

And I think that is the key. Local conditions forced some compromises that generally worked with the traffic volumes of the time. I'm actually surprised that Canal Rd. has survived this long, especially after the 5th Line interchange was built.

^^ Not as easy to do legally in many built up areas. Different zones carry different restrictions, some extending all the way to ground level.

Drones are a thing. Good drones cost less than even medium-end smartphones.
Sorry, but have no room to carry one when using transit as well being illegal in many areas of my travels. Leave the drones to the drone folks.

And I think that is the key. Local conditions forced some compromises that generally worked with the traffic volumes of the time. I'm actually surprised that Canal Rd. has survived this long, especially after the 5th Line interchange was built.
I predict that the Canal Road exit will remain until the North Canal Bridge is rebuilt, which at that time, the exit will also be removed.

It was supposed to be closed last year.

Then there's those low speed substandard 427 ramps that was suppose to close if they reconfigurate all the interchanges. Maybe one day they'll fix the 427 collectors weaving issues and let drivers actually stay in one lane.

Canal Rd. was always the worst to me. I'm surprised MTO has allowed it to exist for so long on a "400 series" freeway, considering it's essentially an at grade intersection.

Dixie Rd was the next worst, though it too is about to be replaced with a modern Parclo.

After that, it's probably Thorold Stone Rd in Niagara for my least favourite interchange. Just a very odd shape and alignment. Then the 401 exits in Oshawa. Don't get me started on the exits on the DVP and Gardiner.

The exit in Grimsby is also fairly unusual, though built to modern standards.

My favourite interchange is probably King/Main on the 403 in Hamilton though. While intensely anti-urban, it's a very fascinating and unique interchange design, and is very impressive to drive through.

Canal Rd. was always the worst to me. I'm surprised MTO has allowed it to exist for so long on a "400 series" freeway, considering it's essentially an at grade intersection.

Dixie Rd was the next worst, though it too is about to be replaced with a modern Parclo.

After that, it's probably Thorold Stone Rd in Niagara for my least favourite interchange. Just a very odd shape and alignment. Then the 401 exits in Oshawa. Don't get me started on the exits on the DVP and Gardiner.

The exit in Grimsby is also fairly unusual, though built to modern standards.

My favourite interchange is probably King/Main on the 403 in Hamilton though. While intensely anti-urban, it's a very fascinating and unique interchange design, and is very impressive to drive through.

God Oshawa's ramps are awful. I purposefully avoid the Stevenson interchange because it's so aweful

Anyone knows the 427 extension to Major Mackenzie would open during the holiday season? I've seen the project on Sunday from Highway 7 and it's 98% completed.

Anyone knows the 427 extension to Major Mackenzie would open during the holiday season? I've seen the project on Sunday from Highway 7 and it's 98% completed.
I believe it's officially still scheduled for very early 2021, though there were rumours of it opening earlier. At this point I expect it to open at some point in January.

I believe it's officially still scheduled for very early 2021, though there were rumours of it opening earlier. At this point I expect it to open at some point in January.

I'll expect Doug Ford to cut the ribbon, as if he did any of the real work on the 427 extension.

john-tory-doug-ford-caribana-toronto-ribbon-cutting.jpg

From link.

Back