News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 535     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Roads: Ontario/GTA Highways Discussion

This would be something that I would actually support. Yes the cancellation penalties would hurt, but the long-term revenue generated would offset that. I'd much rather have a Provincially-controlled 407 with reasonable toll rates (like the 407 East) than beer in corner stores.
That would surely make $1 billion for the beer store look like peanuts!

This would be something that I would actually support. Yes the cancellation penalties would hurt, but the long-term revenue generated would offset that. I'd much rather have a Provincially-controlled 407 with reasonable toll rates (like the 407 East) than beer in corner stores.
It would be a $30 billion cancellation.. Think, reduced 407 fees, or fully funded massive expansion of the subway network? How about 2 additional GO RER Programs?

How about building a parallel toll free 4-lane highway 10 km north of 407 which makes the 407 consortium drop the rates to half? 4-lane highway won't be as expensive to build but will be big threat to 407 because they know once built, 4-lane highway can also become a 10-lane highway if needed.

How about building a parallel toll free 4-lane highway 10 km north of 407 which makes the 407 consortium drop the rates to half? 4-lane highway won't be as expensive to build but will be big threat to 407 because they know once built, 4-lane highway can also become a 10-lane highway if needed.
The Bradford By-Pass?

No, the fantasy east extension of Highway 413 (GTA West) between Highway 400 and 412

Why not both? And then we'll extend the Bradford Bypass east and west to get the fourth Toronto bypass... ?

If we're worried about the 413 spurring new sprawl, why not restrict development in that corridor? Toll the highway to manage demand and forbid any development in its catchment area. Force it to actually siphon off traffic from existing roads without inducing new demand.

413 is half the job. It should connect with 401 in the east and should not be too far north of 407 from local use perspective. Bypass traffic is hardly anything compared to local traffic.

413 is half the job. It should connect with 401 in the east and should not be too far north of 407 from local use perspective. Bypass traffic is hardly anything compared to local traffic.
I believe there is some type of anti-competition clause in the 407 sale that MTO can't build an adjacent competing highway.
I'm not sure exactly how that's defined.

Why not both? And then we'll extend the Bradford Bypass east and west to get the fourth Toronto bypass... ?

If we're worried about the 413 spurring new sprawl, why not restrict development in that corridor? Toll the highway to manage demand and forbid any development in its catchment area. Force it to actually siphon off traffic from existing roads without inducing new demand.
Which is pretty much what it will do. It skirts the north end of the whitebelt as currently planned - while it will service the north end of Brampton, Vaughan, and Bolton, those lands are going to be developed anyway. If the greenbelt stays in place, the sprawl should never go north of the highway.

How much would it actually cost to build a 4 lane highway following the 413 route from 401/407 to 407/412?

1 billion dollars

In all seriousness though, probably about $5 billion or more.

The 407 extension was about a billion for each phase, from my understanding, not including land costs (which would be significant). Works out to about $33 million a kilometre (although the highway 400 extension is being built for about $6 million/km, but it features way lower land costs and minimal complicated interchange work which is pricey).

That gives a high level estimate for the 413 from the 401 to the 400 at a cost of about $1.7 billion. Double that to get to the 412, not like it would happen anyway, it would have to drive straight through the oak ridges moraine to get to the 404 and dodge the massive walkers woods forest to get over to the 412 past Stouffville.

I believe there is some type of anti-competition clause in the 407 sale that MTO can't build an adjacent competing highway.
I'm not sure exactly how that's defined.
There probably would be such a clause but there would be a limit. For example, no new parallel highway is allowed within 10 km. In that case, build something 10-15 km away (assuming land is available and it's not too urbanized already).

It would be interesting to know the comparison of east-west traffic that is actually by-passing the GTA versus that which is travelling within it, because if the latter is known to be significantly greater, then a northern east-west connector won't likely be financially viable without inducing sprawl. Ditto for Hwy 400 traffic; comparing trips that continue east or west to points beyond against those that terminate locally.

Agree with the perspective that, if the government wants to break a contract, try the 407. If they are firm to their beliefs, go big or go home. On the other hand, I believe the Beer Store legislation will end in a negotiated settlement, which they will claim as a win for the people. The amount at stake in Hwy 407 would likely make a negotiated settlement too rich.

Back