News   Apr 23, 2024
 89     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 844     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 288     0 

Roads: Ontario/GTA Highways Discussion

So, Spadina southbound to Gardiner/Lakeshore is now a ramp access controlled by a light (with no right turn on the red).

I don't understand how it's going to relieve congestion in Bradford when Bridge Street (i.e. Highway 88) is the only way to cross the marsh.
Currently, the only way to access Hwy 400 is via Holland St. (old Hwy 88) or go all the way north to County Rd./Hwy 89) via Barrie St. (old Hwy 11) both of which are the two main 'downtown' streets not counting the minor Canal Rd. back route). The majority of Bradford's growth, hence the traffic, is to the north and west of the downtown. The majority of traffic still having to cross the river is coming from the West Gwillimbury and will still have to cross through the downtown or go south to Davis Drive. The Marsh is barrier to any route in between.

I hadn't been by the 403/QEW interchange in a long time and noticed a lot of construction. Are they adding in ramps (WB QEW to NB 403; SB 403 to EB QEW) as well as expanding?

I hadn't been by the 403/QEW interchange in a long time and noticed a lot of construction. Are they adding in ramps (WB QEW to NB 403; SB 403 to EB QEW) as well as expanding?
WB QEW to NB 403; NO
SB 403 to EB QEW NO
as well as expanding. NO - not officially.
This phase is really just replacing the Ford Drive Overpass and the EB to NB ramp overpass. The EA does include the ramps that you mentioned (plus continuing the HOV lane through QEW Mississauga), but it is not imminent.
https://www.oakville.ca/assets/general - residents/transportationstudy-403-QEW-execsum.pdf

So, Spadina southbound to Gardiner/Lakeshore is now a ramp access controlled by a light (with no right turn on the red).

This is the result of Joe Cressy getting his way. Motorists will now have yet another barrier placed in front of them to hinder the efficient flow of traffic. As if southbound Spadina wasn’t enough of a disaster.

Spadina could be buried from Fort York/Bremner to the on ramp, or alternatively and cheaper, the pedestrian crossing should be buried or a raised crossing across Lakeshore. But of course Cressy would never consider creative alternatives like this when he can place even more barriers to vehicles in his Ward.

This is the result of Joe Cressy getting his way. Motorists will now have yet another barrier placed in front of them to hinder the efficient flow of traffic. As if southbound Spadina wasn’t enough of a disaster.

Spadina could be buried from Fort York/Bremner to the on ramp, or alternatively and cheaper, the pedestrian crossing should be buried or a raised crossing across Lakeshore. But of course Cressy would never consider creative alternatives like this when he can place even more barriers to vehicles in his Ward.

I think the majority of people that actually live in Joe Cressy's ward are better served by the pedestrian crossing. The south end of Spadina Avenue has been a disaster for pedestrians, who are unable to cross Spadina at Front or Bremner/Fort York and until just recently, Lake Shore Blvd on the west side of Spadina. It was designed long before City Place was really a thing, when Spadina was simply a traffic sewer. It's still not ideal - on the east side, pedestrians are presented with a sign to "wait for gap" at the end of a curved Gardiner off-ramp and given no right-of-way. But it's a start.

I'm just annoyed by how long it took.

Long term plans include a new pedestrian bridge above Spadina Avenue just north of Lake Shore to provide a linear park link. But work on that hasn't started yet.

Back