News   Jul 15, 2024
 506     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 659     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 585     0 

Roads: Ontario/GTA Highways Discussion

I think we would all agree that the Highway 7 Rapidway in Markham and Vaughan are steps made to get more people to ride transit, but it's the number of lanes that is the problem. It really should have gone from 6 lanes to 4 lanes, with bus lanes added. However, this would only be possible when there is an alternative through-way for cars and trucks. Highway 407 was built just for this purpose, but with the 407 ETR and the 99 year lease, we will have to wait until 2097 (or when tolls lower or gets bought back by province) until we can even consider reducing the lanes on Highway 7 to 4.

IMO, reducing the amount of cars and truck on Highway 7 is the only way to create an "Urban Markham and Urban Vaughan", which requires them to be using another highway: **toll free Hwy 407**
The at-grade expressway section isn't going to change. Highway 7 will always be a highway. Many lanes were added to the 407 to keep it flowing. If it was MTO still maintaining it, it might still have 3-4 lanes with possibility of traffic jams. I don't even think the Yonge subway extension will transform Hwy 7/Yonge into a busy urban core. York region has a major car problem and it's transit isn't growing unlike Peel region. The 407 might eventually need a 12-16 lanes express-collector system to keep flowing.

I think the main reason Hwy. 7 is so busy, is that it actually has to carry the traffic of two concession roads, due to both Langstaff and 14th Ave. not being continuous.

I think the main reason Hwy. 7 is so busy, is that it actually has to carry the traffic of two concession roads, due to both Langstaff and 14th Ave. not being continuous.
well thats what you get when you have suburbs connecting to the city core with poor transit overall. The biggest factor is that it simply takes too long and costs too much to get downtown and crosstown. Also, with gas pricing and car ownership
being quite affordable, who wouldnt want to drive in the suburbs

Are there any solutions to Highway 7 traffic and walk ability that does not involve banning certain vehicles or lowering the speed limit?

Are there any solutions to Highway 7 traffic and walk ability that does not involve banning certain vehicles or lowering the speed limit?

Remove or lower tolls on the 407. Highway 7 carries all of the local traffic, in addition to a significant portion of the thru traffic from people who choose not to pay the toll.

From a network perspective, the only other option would be to build a pretty sizeable bridge/tunnel over/under the CN MacMillan Yard in order to make Langstaff continuous through Vaughan.

Remove or lower tolls on the 407. Highway 7 carries all of the local traffic, in addition to a significant portion of the thru traffic from people who choose not to pay the toll.

From a network perspective, the only other option would be to build a pretty sizeable bridge/tunnel over/under the CN MacMillan Yard in order to make Langstaff continuous through Vaughan.
see Langstaff Road EA

You may be joking, but any connection to Langstaff in Markham is unnecessary as 7 replaces Langstaff itself from Dufferin eastward.

Then there's the Humber; not to mention the Centre St. John St., and 14th Ave. combination to deal with to make both concessions complete through roads, which will never happen.

Last edited:
You may be joking, but any connection to Langstaff in Markham is unnecessary as 7 basically already is Langstaff itself from Dufferin eastward.
I'm not joking, but I do see how it may seem like a joke. I think you're thinking of Hwy 7 from a Vaughan point of view, while I'm viewing it with a Richmond Hill/Markham point of view.

I was always curious about why Hwy 7 goes from being "15th Avenue" to "14th Avenue" when it crosses the Richmond Hill/Vaughan boundaries (I'm pretty young, born when Hwy 407 opened).

Side question, did roads start off with numbered names (16th Ave, 19th Ave, 9th Line) and get renamed tone more unique (Rutherford Rd, Major Mackenzie Dr, Yonge St) or the other way around? And do different municipalities usually have different names for continuous roads that cross boundaries?

I'm not joking, but I do see how it may seem like a joke. I think you're thinking of Hwy 7 from a Vaughan point of view, while I'm viewing it with a Richmond Hill/Markham point of view.

I was always curious about why Hwy 7 goes from being "15th Avenue" to "14th Avenue" when it crosses the Richmond Hill/Vaughan boundaries (I'm pretty young, born when Hwy 407 opened).

Side question, did roads start off with numbered names (16th Ave, 19th Ave, 9th Line) and get renamed tone more unique (Rutherford Rd, Major Mackenzie Dr, Yonge St) or the other way around? And do different municipalities usually have different names for continuous roads that cross boundaries?

Highway 7 used to jog at Yonge Street (Highway 11). It followed the first east-west sideroad north of Steeles Avenue (connecting Brampton, Woodbridge, and Thornhill), then continued along the second east-west sideroad north of Steeles Avenue to connect with Unionville, Markham, Brougham, and Brooklin. For a few decades, Yonge Street carried both Highways 7 and 11 for a short bit. The original route of Highway 7 jogs a lot between Sarnia and Ottawa, connecting towns and cities together along mostly existing concession roads and sideroads. The route straightened out a bit by way of re-routings and bypasses, like the one between Concord and Yonge Street which by-passed Thornhill, partially on a new alignment, partially via Langstaff Road.

The old route, Centre Street, was designated Highway 7B for a short period.

Highway 7 used to jog at Yonge Street (Highway 11). It followed the first east-west sideroad north of Steeles Avenue (connecting Brampton, Woodbridge, and Thornhill), then continued along the second east-west sideroad north of Steeles Avenue to connect with Unionville, Markham, Brougham, and Brooklin. For a few decades, Yonge Street carried both Highways 7 and 11 for a short bit. The original route of Highway 7 jogs a lot between Sarnia and Ottawa, connecting towns and cities together along mostly existing concession roads and sideroads. The route straightened out a bit by way of re-routings and bypasses, like the one between Concord and Yonge Street which by-passed Thornhill, partially on a new alignment, partially via Langstaff Road.

The old route, Centre Street, was designated Highway 7B for a short period.
Thanks for the buttload of knowledge! (Even though Wikipedia has the same information).

The trouble with turning what was once a regional arterial connecting communities across Ontario into an urbanized Main road is dealing with all the through traffic travelling between those communities that will now be slowed by the now urban built form. 407 accomplishes part of this but is hindered by it's tolls. If you want to turn "Hwy 7" into an "Avenue 7" (to steal some municipal marketing speak) you need to provide a bypass around the built up centre.

Lowering tolls will result in more cars (obviously), but it will increase maintenance costs right? Since more cars use the highway, then the more damage and wear and tear is applied to the road. Is that one of the reasons the 407 ETR company has such high tolls? Is the "balance" they have correct, or is there a balance to be found that results in the same amount of "profit" for the corporation and a better experience for drivers?

We don't want a Hwy 401 with no tolls and insane maintenance. Does this balance exist?

Back