News   Jul 16, 2024
 385     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 514     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 636     2 

Roads: Ontario/GTA Highways Discussion

When they finish the bridge and open it to traffic, they'll ask " who is Gordie Howe"?

They will ask that about Herb Gray - the highway leading up to the main crossing.

Interesting that the 401 extension, named by the Provincial Liberals, was named after a Liberal.
The international crossing, named by the Federal Conservatives, was named after a non-partisan sports figure.

I guess its just of measure of partisanship.

They will ask that about Herb Gray - the highway leading up to the main crossing.

Interesting that the 401 extension, named by the Provincial Liberals, was named after a Liberal.
The international crossing, named by the Federal Conservatives, was named after a non-partisan sports figure.

I guess its just of measure of partisanship.

Do you see everything in this world as Liberal vs Conservsive?

Would a 400-series highway connect the Gardiner Eastend to the 401 at Kingston Rd to 407ETR near York Durham Line be a good idea? I know the Gardiner east as pushed away in the past, but I feel like this is a highway the region needs.

With the 407 East including the 412 and 418, there leaves a huge gap between the 404 and 412, just an observation.

Would a 400-series highway connect the Gardiner Eastend to the 401 at Kingston Rd to 407ETR near York Durham Line be a good idea? I know the Gardiner east as pushed away in the past, but I feel like this is a highway the region needs.

With the 407 East including the 412 and 418, there leaves a huge gap between the 404 and 412, just an observation.

I think you might have a point about the gap between the 404 and the 412, but there is no need for another highway to downtown, there is no room for more cars downtown, and there is also no room for that highway to be built anymore, if there even was room to begin with.

I think you might have a point about the gap between the 404 and the 412, but there is no need for another highway to downtown, there is no room for more cars downtown, and there is also no room for that highway to be built anymore, if there even was room to begin with.
Elevated?

I would think the Rouge Park would make this fairly difficult to construct in the area you envision.

I just drew this "on a napkin" as they say, and to me it looks like clear sailing from the 401/Kingston Rd to the 407.

And this is not "downtown" as any earlier posted said. This kind of connection would be possible and useful.

My question is, isn't the mythical Pickering Airport supposed to be built in this area? In that case, this kind of connector between the 401 and 407 would actually be extremely welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_0037.jpg
    IMG_0037.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 292
I just drew this "on a napkin" as they say, and to me it looks like clear sailing from the 401/Kingston Rd to the 407.

And this is not "downtown" as any earlier posted said. This kind of connection would be possible and useful.

My question is, isn't the mythical Pickering Airport supposed to be built in this area? In that case, this kind of connector between the 401 and 407 would actually be extremely welcome.

That's right through the middle of Rouge Park. Ain't gonna happen, nor should it.

That's right through the middle of Rouge Park. Ain't gonna happen, nor should it.
If the park wasn't there, and only 20 or so houses have to be demolished, this would be a great connection to have.

Btw, is the reason the 401 dips south a bit because the park was there in the first place and they didn't want to cut as much down as the can?

If the park wasn't there, and only 20 or so houses have to be demolished, this would be a great connection to have.

Btw, is the reason the 401 dips south a bit because the park was there in the first place and they didn't want to cut as much down as the can?

Nope, it's because it was built as a bypass of Toronto, and this is where it connected to the existing Highway 2A expressway between West Hill and Oshawa. Most of Highway 2A became Highway 401; only the bypassed section that connected to Kingston Road remained.

Drove the 401 around the 412 yesterday and today (once each direction) and I found the lane configuration of the Salem Rd-412 area to be pretty confusing. Heading eastbound, why drop a lane west of Salem (down to 3) just to add one again in the lead-up to the 412? Why not just have that 4th lane continue through and be an exit-only lane? Likewise heading westbound, with the 2 lanes from the 412 all merging onto 3 401 lanes, only a couple hundred metres from where the highway widens out to 4 lanes.

It just seems like it's creating a bottleneck where there doesn't really need to be one. It's almost as bad of a configuration of the 403 NB coming off the QEW towards Dundas St, where the right lane merges in and the literally 50m up the road an exit lane appears.

Drove the 401 around the 412 yesterday and today (once each direction) and I found the lane configuration of the Salem Rd-412 area to be pretty confusing. Heading eastbound, why drop a lane west of Salem (down to 3) just to add one again in the lead-up to the 412? Why not just have that 4th lane continue through and be an exit-only lane? Likewise heading westbound, with the 2 lanes from the 412 all merging onto 3 401 lanes, only a couple hundred metres from where the highway widens out to 4 lanes.

It just seems like it's creating a bottleneck where there doesn't really need to be one. It's almost as bad of a configuration of the 403 NB coming off the QEW towards Dundas St, where the right lane merges in and the literally 50m up the road an exit lane appears.
It forces people not to wait until the last minute to get out of the right lane, and allows those exiting to the 412 to "zoom' past all those continuing on the 401. I wish this existed where this kind of thing occurs on my commute, where the right hand lane ends up exiting. Everyone continuing stays in that right hand lane making me have to wait until they can sneak back in before I can exit.

Back