News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 601     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Roads: Keep the Gardiner, fix it, or get rid of it? (2005-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Say goodnight Mr. Mammoliti, time to leave the race.

Could they please stop inviting him to debates? He has no chance of winning. While watching him and Ford bicker is entertaining, it distracts from the candidates who actually have some chance.

The ramp that is commonly in use is a flyover type ramp that goes to the 427 express lanes.

Every time they have to close that ramp (most of last summer for example and the last week or so this year) a ramp opens up that takes people to the 427 collector lanes.

As soon as the main ramp is ready, they close the ramp to the collectors.........why can't these two ramps both be open/used at the same time?

It is a route I use just about daily and when we use the ramp to the expres lanes there is a significant amount of people immediatley "fighting their way to the collectors" (to get off at Dundas, I guess) and when the ramp to the collectors is in use the opposite happens.

Anyone know why they never have both open with the right lane(s) going to the collectors/Dundas and the left lanes going to the express/airport/401?

I never even noticed this. But this explains a lot! No wonder I sometimes get confused where I end up when taking this route...

I have to agree with pinklucy. I live at the bottom end of the 427 at BrownsLine and it seems for about the past 8 years they have been working on this stretch btween the qew and 401. In that time all that was done was highmast lighting, centre concrete barrier and resurfacing of the xpress lanes. The collector lanes ( north and south) are a disaster with uneven road surface, bent and rusted steel guiderail, and the chopped off bottoms of the old truss lighting system complete with wiring hanging out, not to mention 4 foot high weeds and litter strewn about. Once again this year they close the highway every night and the next morning driving to work I do not see any spot where work was done.

The ramp that is commonly in use is a flyover type ramp that goes to the 427 express lanes.

Every time they have to close that ramp (most of last summer for example and the last week or so this year) a ramp opens up that takes people to the 427 collector lanes.

As soon as the main ramp is ready, they close the ramp to the collectors.........why can't these two ramps both be open/used at the same time?

It is a route I use just about daily and when we use the ramp to the expres lanes there is a significant amount of people immediatley "fighting their way to the collectors" (to get off at Dundas, I guess) and when the ramp to the collectors is in use the opposite happens.

Anyone know why they never have both open with the right lane(s) going to the collectors/Dundas and the left lanes going to the express/airport/401?

The collectors ramp is closed because it shares the ramp with the Queensway eastbound - 427 northbound ramp. When it is in use, the queensway ramp has to be closed.

Hey, a Ford idea I actually like...

“What I’d really like to see is three levels, one for a train, one for the toll and one for regular traffic with no toll and let’s develop on top of the Gardiner and that would pay for itself ...

If you’re asking me: ‘Would I pay $5 to get downtown quicker and not knock off 14 bicycle riders on the way down Queen St.?’ I would do it in a heartbeat.”

Doug Ford

Article | TheStar.com

This actually makes sense. If a private developer thinks they can make money charging tolls to a packed Gardiner every day -- they probably can -- and if the city offers up the land below the Gardiner to do this, I think it's a viable solution.

Eventually, the Gardiner itself could be dismantled because it costs the city so much to keep it up. Lakeshore would be redeveloped to handle local traffic as a grand boulevard a la University Av. It would be a busy surface route but people would have the option of bypassing traffic by taking the toll road below grade.

Include a provision in the request for proposals that this private entity must include a level below their own tunnel for a train, and have this be part of a future Downtown Relief Line. The city/province/feds would pay for the track work and stations funded by sell off of land adjacent to the new Lakeshore Blvd now free of the elevated Gardiner.

I like it.

This actually makes sense. If a private developer thinks they can make money charging tolls to a packed Gardiner every day -- they probably can -- and if the city offers up the land below the Gardiner to do this, I think it's a viable solution.

Try some back of the envelope math. How much might it cost to tunnel the Gardiner? How much might one expect to make on developing the land above? How much would that leave to charge for tolls? Are there many people who would pay that final number?

Try some back of the envelope math. How much might it cost to tunnel the Gardiner? How much might one expect to make on developing the land above? How much would that leave to charge for tolls? Are there many people who would pay that final number?

Depending on what the toll amount is, it may break even after quite a number of years. On-going revenue is very important to a project like that. Having said that, the toll highway should be owned by the City, not a 407-style private company.

So the solution to congestion in the GTA is to let more people drive into downtown Toronto?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back