News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 408     0 

Roads: HOV lanes

If Toronto had any nerve they would follow Wynne's lead and bring in HOT lanes for the DVP and Gardiner. They could bring in a monthly pass which would allow unfettered HOT lane access. They should do it to the Allen as well but I can't remember if Allen is a municipal or provincial road?

Ideally HOT lanes should be for anyone who wants to pay and that includes businesses such as taxis and delivery trucks. The latter does bring up the issue of how delivery/larger trucks get access to the HOT lanes if they must keep in the 2 most right hand lanes.

If Toronto had any nerve they would follow Wynne's lead and bring in HOT lanes for the DVP and Gardiner. They could bring in a monthly pass which would allow unfettered HOT lane access. They should do it to the Allen as well but I can't remember if Allen is a municipal or provincial road?

Ideally HOT lanes should be for anyone who wants to pay and that includes businesses such as taxis and delivery trucks. The latter does bring up the issue of how delivery/larger trucks get access to the HOT lanes if they must keep in the 2 most right hand lanes.

Allen Road is municipal. But our car culture belief is that freeways are "free" and taxes alone should pay 100% of these roads is too much part of our society that will make it difficult for any politician to back without the fear of a voter backlash.

Personally I think they should sell the DVP and Gardiner off, the city shouldn't be in the freeway/highway business anyways.

For the last few months I've been hearing and reading online, that many people were predicting traffic disaster, during the Pan-Am Games. I live downtown, so I don't drive much but from from what I can tell, the traffic doesn't seem all that bad. Here is some video I filmed of the Gardiner. It looks pretty normal to me. I would not call this a disaster, that many were predicting, even with the HOV lanes.

The Gardiner has been fine overall.

What the doom predictors missed was that commute traffic is lighter in the summer any way and typically 2 lanes is enough........what you lose (like during the lane closures for construction) is the margin of error if another Lane closes for a stall or accident.

Like last year, these incidents caused more grief than they would in a typical summer.

All in all, a small sacrifice for the city/region to show itself off to a significant part of the world (IMO).

He has repeatedly said its just him. Idiot just takes pride in what he does and proceeds to brag about it every day.
I haven't noticed before. He was vague - no indication that he doesn't have others in the car.

Hard to believe that anyone could be such a complete piece of shit, and then brag about it. I suspect he's just trolling, and isn't actually breaking the law.

Used HOVs on DVP/404 going north on Saturday and south on Sunday. Saw a bike cop writing up two people on Saturday in 404. Not sure using 404/Mulock/400 saved much time over 401/400 but it was less stressful and cruise control more useful. HOV lanes between Bradford and 400/11 split would have been nice though!

Great, now we're going to hear Andrea Horwath rail against "Lexus lanes" for the next 3 years.

I was disgusted by the Globe (I think) which says don't make the HOV lane rich peoples lane (which is like giving the rich express service in hospitals), an pls raise the tax if we need more money!
Why some journalists are so stupid is beyond me.

Back