News   Apr 25, 2024
 219     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 436     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.3K     1 

Roads: Highway 401 Widening - Highway 8 to Highway 410 (MTO, U/C, Planned)

Any information on widening the 401 from Townline rd in Cambridge to the new to-be built hwy 6 alignments in Guelph?

I see a ton of progress happening in Milton, I am sure it will be years until they connect the dots between Guelph and Milton

My real hope is for the bypasses in the area to happen sooner rather than later

Any information on widening the 401 from Townline rd in Cambridge to the new to-be built hwy 6 alignments in Guelph?

I see a ton of progress happening in Milton, I am sure it will be years until they connect the dots between Guelph and Milton

My real hope is for the bypasses in the area to happen sooner rather than later

I don't think they've looked at widening between Cambridge and Guelph yet. AFAIK, the only remaining section that has been studied is the realignment of 6 around Morriston and a widening between the two 6s. I think it will still be some time before widening between Guelph and Cambridge and Guelph and Milton is warranted as traffic generally moves well along those stretches unless there is a major accident.

MTO has the EA completed between the Halton Region boundary and Cambridge, but hasn't done the EA between the Halton Region boundary and Highway 25 yet as far as I know.

I don't think MTO is planning on widening the whole thing for a little while quite yet. It has higher priorities elsewhere like the 400.

MTO has the EA completed between the Halton Region boundary and Cambridge, but hasn't done the EA between the Halton Region boundary and Highway 25 yet as far as I know.

I don't think MTO is planning on widening the whole thing for a little while quite yet. It has higher priorities elsewhere like the 400.
Link to study?

I don't think they've looked at widening between Cambridge and Guelph yet. AFAIK, the only remaining section that has been studied is the realignment of 6 around Morriston and a widening between the two 6s. I think it will still be some time before widening between Guelph and Cambridge and Guelph and Milton is warranted as traffic generally moves well along those stretches unless there is a major accident.

Its weird, because all the portals between Highway 25 down to and including the Guelph Junction Railway were widened some time ago, and the extra shoulder width just sits unused. Hopefully the phantom construction effort made them wide enough for the number of lanes that the eventual official widening will require.

There are quite a few structures along the 401 that have yet to be widened to accommodate the widening, but yes, the ones that have been done have been appropriately widened.

Doesn't mean MTO is planning to build the widening immediately though. Mapleview Road in Barrie has been sitting with a widened structure for decades now without using it.

Had to go out of town unexpectedly Tuesday and came home Thursday that allow me to see what taking place since my last trip.

Most of the light Mast are up starting just east of the James Snow Parkway to the west side of 25 with a few gaps.

The old bridges for the Credit River, Orangeville Line, CN Halton Sub are gone and will be replace by new ones. Sixteen Creek looks like the deck has been pour for it as well the center barrier wall..

Small crew on site working on new Light Mast piers as well a small section of the centre barrier median. Some other Infrastructure work was taking place in various location.

Main push should start in early April with the removal of the old broken up road and building the areas that still have to be done.

Traffic wasn't bad going west in the collectors, but backup in the express at Mavis where I got on. It was a bitch of slow driving of 40-70 from Cambridge west of 24 with stop and go to the point I got off at Winston Churchill and use the 403. Would had used 407 if it wasn't toll. This was off peak.

Glad I don't have to do this every day and those who do will be glad when it is done by the fall this year.

Most of the centre barrier median in place east of highway 24 with a few gaps and no light mast up yet.

Crews placing the form work on the new westbound bridge over the Grand River and could see a concrete deck by the end of March depending on the weather.

No photos for this trip.

There are a number of bridges still to be rebuilt for 5 lanes from 25 to 6, with the big work to be done for 6 which will be a mess when it happens.

A video still from today of the new light masts in Milton looking east from the Steeles overpass. Odd that they were put up even before the barrier was poured:

401 Milton.jpg

A video still from today of the new light masts in Milton looking east from the Steeles overpass. Odd that they were put up even before the barrier was poured:

View attachment 382329
Honestly the express lanes should have been extended further west towards Guelph line, considering the volume of traffic.

Just my opinion.

Honestly the express lanes should have been extended further west towards Guelph line, considering the volume of traffic.

Just my opinion.
All the bridges and underpass that have been rebuilt so far can only support 5 lanes each way west of 25 to 8.

This will come back and bit MTO not going 3 + 3 each down the road and forget the HOV lane. You could have 4 + 3 in place of an HOV lane since there is no enforcement for it and abuse by single Sunday drivers as well 2 person Sunday cars.

All bridges from the 403 to Windsor being rebuilt 100% are for 5 + 5 even though it will be 3 + 3 in the coming years when it should be 4 + 4 to help truck drivers.

April 02
Looks like they are behind schedule
51983446723_208dbfa8e6_b.jpg

51982370502_a010a5c990_b.jpg

51982370552_a4d2decaff_b.jpg

51983933180_1ce91c1e3f_b.jpg

51983663429_042bbf8aa1_b.jpg

51983446963_cbc0d18eba_b.jpg

51983446993_00ce7dbeb3_b.jpg

51982370892_362aed8685_b.jpg

51983933655_c385dc4c3c_b.jpg

51983447413_d3ec764d45_b.jpg

51983664009_32d108cb5f_b.jpg

51983933970_e850bec4d1_b.jpg

51983664094_7fd369fb02_b.jpg

51982371482_da1413a269_b.jpg

Thanks for the update @drum118

Given the current progress, I am not surprised if this creeps into mid 2023. I been through this section earlier in February and I really don't see it finishing this year.

Great pics- thanks for sharing!

April 02
Looks like they are behind schedule

What makes you say this? A lot less work occurs in the winter. Remember Canada has 2 seasons: Winter and construction, with construction season starting up now. Expect a lot more work to ramp up here in the coming weeks/months.

I'd expect the main work to be complete by the start of winter, with finishing touches taking place in early 2023.

Back