News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 543     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Roads: Gardiner Expressway

I'm glad the roads are being uploaded. They are such a huge burden on the City's budget.

I do wonder about the capital rebuild - I hope they keep it at the hybrid option the city went with a few years ago. If they open up the design again and start throwing around more ideas - oh god no.

On another note: the one place where the Gardiner could be (relatively) easily buried is over by Parkdale/Sunnyside - and a new park over it created that connected Parkdale to the lake again. But alas! That will likely never come to pass.

People keep bringing up Boston. Who's to say we can't learn from their mistakes?
We can't even finish a 19km light rail line that only partially underground without major screw ups, lawsuits, delays and finger pointing. We'd never be able to do something as big as the Boston tunnel.

And the Boston tunnel was over 85% paid by the US federal government. There's no reason for the either the Federal Cons or LPC to fund such a project in Toronto, since we're sheeple that always vote Liberal. The Cons can't win our vote no matter what they do, and the Libs can just assume they have our vote and instead chase votes in swing ridings outside of Toronto. And not to mention that Ottawa is running $40 billion deficits....

Last edited:
Congratulations. The province gets two new highways, Toronto gets a fancy spa.

I wonder if they designate them extensions of Hwy 404 and QEW or simply leave them as-is and assign them an administrative number for internal purposes. If they go with extensions, the distance and interchange markers of 404 will have to be re-done.

From simply a policing perspective, I wonder where they will get the bodies. All services are facing challenges recruiting.

nope.

the press release specifically says:

The language of the press release is also very explicit in expressing the desire for the long-term preservation of the highways i.e. preventing their demolition. I suspect Ford was incensed by the demolition discussions years ago and sees this as an opportunity to protect the Gardiner and DVP over the long term from demolition.

If anything, this opens up the potential for expansion and modernization of the facilities. If the DVP becomes an extension of the 404, MTO would probably want to do a lot of modernization of the road and interchanges at a minimum, if it doesn't look to add HOV lanes to it.
It would be great to have bus lanes on the Gardiner/DVP to help with GO buses getting into/out of DT.

If they go with extensions, the distance and interchange markers of 404 will have to be re-done.
As it stands now, the DVP exits are already somewhat continuous from the 404's. The 404 stops at exit 18 at Sheppard and the DVP resumes at exit 14 (even though it's only 2km between?) at York Mills, counting down to the Gardiner. The Gardiner's exits are also a continuation from the QEW, starting at 155 downtown counting down towards Niagara.

We can't even finish a 19km light rail line that only partially underground without major screw ups, lawsuits, delays and finger pointing. We'd never be able to do something as big as the Boston tunnel.

And the Boston tunnel was over 85% paid by the US federal government. There's no reason for the either the Federal Cons or LPC to fund such a project in Toronto, since we're sheeple that always vote Liberal. The Cons can't win our vote no matter what they do, and the Libs can just assume they have our vote and instead chase votes in swing ridings outside of Toronto. And not to mention that Ottawa is running $40 billion deficits....
12 out of 25 ridings in the City of Toronto are currently represented by Conservative MPPs FYI. The Conservatives can definitely win in the City - just not downtown.

I'd be curious for sure to see if MTO renumbered the highways.

In terms of policing, etc - I imagine there will be transition provisions where the City continues to provide services for a certian amount of time.

The City will also save a decent amount of operating costs on the DVP and Gardiner in addition to capital costs - It can't be cheap to plow, police, and perform general maintenance on the highways.

My wish list would be a commuter rail right up the middle of the DVP/404 from Steeles to Union.

c0013714-800px-wm.jpg

DoFo's wish list likely included a doubling of the Gardiner, like in pre-1989 earthquake San Francisco.

Embarcadero-freeway-on-waterfront-from-above-1960s.jpg
Aren't we half-way there with the Ontario Line?

12 out of 25 ridings in the City of Toronto are currently represented by Conservative MPPs FYI. The Conservatives can definitely win in the City - just not downtown.
Let's see how many MPPs stay Conservative after Bonnie comes to town. Though given Toronto's propensity to vote one way provincially and the other federally, a Crombie OLP win could give PP and the Cons a better shot in Toronto.

This is great news for Toronto and once again shows that, despite Torontonians bitching about Ford, he is the best Premier the city has ever had.

Conversely, this upload will be viewed with distain from other 13 million Ontarians that don't live in Toronto. Toronto is in it's financial mess mostly due to it's own bad tax policy by having the lowest property taxes in the province. They refuse to tax themselves appropriately and then when they can't pay their bills they go crying to Queen's Park to bail them out.

What about places like Windsor that had the EC Roy Expressway uploaded to them by the province? Are they too going to get a similar break from QP? Don't count on it. What makes Torontonians so much more special than Windsorites? Does Windsor not have bills to pay and the highway to maintain?

This is what pisses Ontarians off about Toronto and how QP seems to consider it's needs somehow more important than all the other municipalities in the province. Same goes for transit. Toronto and the GTAH get their LRT lines built for free while Ottawa & Kitchener have to put up a good chunk of their own money as does London with it's BRT.

Back