News   Apr 25, 2024
 184     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 423     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.3K     1 

Roads: Gardiner Expressway

Roads create traffic by encouraging development along its route. It isn't created out of thin air - nor does it disappear into thin air. Well, unless it's disappearing because the people themselves are leaving for somewhere else.

Roads also create traffic by making automobile use convenient. If it stops being a convenient mode of travel, then some people will switch to something else, perhaps carpooling if it is a matter of saving money, or public transit, or relocation in some cases.

Yes, some people are not going to like the fact that they, as motorists, are no longer being accomodated like they were in the past. But times change. Urban freeways, like the Gardiner which runs through the central part of a city, are no longer seen as progress, they are seen as a blight and detriment by more and more people. It isn't just a technical or asthestic issue, it is also a values issue surrounding what society and residents of cities deem to be important. Like it or not, the Gardiner is coming down sooner rather than later. Good riddance at that.

But it can disappear into thin air.

Imagine two different areas of the city connected by a highway. Both areas have residential and commercial uses. Because of the highway, people in both areas like to sometimes travel to the other area for shopping, just to mix things up.

If the highway is removed, people in both areas shop in their own area a lot more often. The traffic simply disappears. It isn't rerouted anywhere, and no increase in traffic is caused elsewhere. The pattern is changed that removes some traffic with no loss to anyone.

A simple example, but hopefully it illustrates one potential mechanism at work.

Save the DVP ramp to Gardiner - a call to arms for all TO residents

The mayor David Miller's recent consent to the waterfront developers' proposal to permanently dismantle the vital link of DVP to the Gardiner expressway represents a vicious sellout of all the residents of GTA living east and north of DVP and 404. The dismantling of the ramp amounts to pulling the plug on the only rink road for Toronto and will result in tremendous loss of time and inconvenience to hundreds of thousands of residents living east and north of DVP and 404 regardless of how they (the city hall and the developers) spin the issues. I am calling upon all concerned residents and current users of the DVP to unite together and use our tax payers' rights to prevent this irresponsible act from undermining the quality our daily lives. Please file complaint and objections to your local MPP, city hall councillor and the mayor's office by email, mail and/or phone as soon as possible.
If the mayor wants to proceed anyway, we should ask for a referendum by all residents living east and north of DVP in such an event. We should also make sure that any future mayor understand the importance of this issue if they want to be re-elected. Failing that we should ask for a change to the city election act to make sure that no corporation, unions or institutions can make political contributions to any candidate running for city hall office. We should also put a limit of 100 dollars per candidate per tax payer of the amount of political contributions each person can make in order to make sure that the city hall politician be accountable to the average tax payer and not the corporate lobbyists. If Barack Obama can amase millions from less than 100 dollar donations, why can't we have the same system in Toronto?

If the highway is removed, people in both areas shop in their own area a lot more often. The traffic simply disappears. It isn't rerouted anywhere, and no increase in traffic is caused elsewhere. The pattern is changed that removes some traffic with no loss to anyone.

I'm not sure I agree that it's disappearing into thin air. The traffic still exists, it just no longer comes around here. Perhaps the losses aren't personal, but they're surely commercial.

We all want to see Toronto increase in density. That's not going to happen if we continue to restrict access to Toronto from the rest of the region.

We all want to see Toronto increase in density. That's not going to happen if we continue to restrict access to Toronto from the rest of the region.

Removing the Gardiner is not restricting access. At best it might be somewhat more inconvenient for some drivers who have to travel city streets for a few extra kilometers instead of being dumped within a few blocks of their destination. Removing the DVP, that would be restriciting access. And considering that most development in Toronto is still required to accomodate the car through high parking requirements it is a stretch to claim to Toronto has even really begun to do anything remotely close to restricting automobiles from the city.

Edit: And if the goal is to increase density then, as the past has shown, freeways and planning that puts high priorities on automobiles has the exact opposite effect. That is why so many people want to see the Gardiner removed; to increase buildable land, remove an eyesore, and create an opportunity for building an urban, liveable district in the heart of the city that will become home to 10s of thousands of new residents as well as employment opportunities.

The traffic still exists, it just no longer comes around here. Perhaps the losses aren't personal, but they're surely commercial.

In my example, there is *no* commercial loss, as all the shoppers from A who no longer go to shop at B now shop at A, replacing the shoppers from B who used to come to shop there but instead now shop at B.

Also, the traffic does *not* exist, as the long shopping trip from A to B or B to A is now replaced by much shorter trips within A and within B. The highway used to make the AB trip time-competitive with local trips (but clearly not distance-competitive), but with the removal of the highway, it just doesn't make sense to make that trip for a shopping run that can be done locally.

The point of my example was to illustrate an instance of traffic disappearing without commercial loss to anyone and I still think it manages to do that in a simplistic way.

In my example, there is *no* commercial loss, as all the shoppers from A who no longer go to shop at B now shop at A, replacing the shoppers from B who used to come to shop there but instead now shop at B.

Well, there *is* a commercial loss; to Shop A. Unless Shop B is going to send some of their added profits over to help Shop A.

None of this seems like a very big deal when you're talking Shop A or Shop B, but when you replace Shop A with 'Toronto' and Shop B with 'Scarborough' or 'Mississauga' or 'Markham', it starts to highlight the problem.

The traffic hasn't disappeared, it just goes somewhere else.

It's our fault that the Gardiner is a barrier.

40 some years of neglect has left it arid and deserted. We have heard of countless cities who have successfully removed their freeways and 'opened up their waterfronts,' yet so far, only San Francisco has been cited as evidence.

What has not been addressed is that (and I'll use the pro-removal camp's word here) 'countless' other cities have made such structures work in a way which connects them to the urban fabric, not isolates them to the point of dysfunction. There are 'countless' ways to integrate our 'skyways' into the city, using the sheltered space created there for weather-proof activities.

Vancouver for example, took space under the Georgia Viaduct and created a skatepark which now draws professional and amateur users from all over the world. Tokyo not only has elevated highways running through its core, but local and high-speed rail as well. The space underneath features plants, smaller roads and in many places, storefronts and small parks. Even Rome, which I had the fortune of returning to last summer, has elevated highways running through residential zones yet because the space underneath has been valued instead of abandoned, it works.

The pro-demolitioners have consistently shrugged off the most pressing issue here: where will the traffic go? While some hide behind a romanticized picture of a large, landscaped street would eliminating traffic by forcing people to take other routes or abandon their cars altogether, one must question the logic behind bringing a partial-barrier (one which you can walk, drive, play or work under) down to street level, where it instantly becomes a total barrier. The simple reality is that the Gardiner works well.

I return to my opening remark: this barrier is our fault. Because we have neglected perfectly usable swathes of land, allowed the structure itself to crumble, Lakeshore to deteriorate and the pedestrian realm to disappear, we can now take solace in the fact that 120,000 cars will be brought down to the pedestrian level. To quote our crooked old friend and former mayor: faaaaaaantastic!

This brings me to my final point. Why not use the exorbitant amount of money which may be spent tearing down a piece of our modernist heritage, to celebrate it. Revitalizing and reintegrating this fine piece of engineering back into the city would be a responsible and cost-effective way of showing a forgotten expressway a little love from the family who earnestly birthed it.

I'll close with a quote from Calvin Brook, writing in Concrete Toronto (pp. 183-184); one of the better books to come out in the recent past about our fine city.

"Herein lies the problem at the heart of the Gardiner debate - the 'barrier effect' ascribed to the Gardiner is simply misplaced. The barrier is a result of neglect of the space underneath, a blind spot in our collective understanding of civic space in the city. Yet these conditions are easily fixed, at a fraction of the cost of alternatives such as demolition and replacement with an at-grade roadway or tunneling.

Today there remains a large contingent of urbanists in Toronto who believe the Gardiner Expressway should be torn down. The biggest obstacle they face is a simple reality - it works incredibly well. For those traveling above, passing between the city's towers, it remains an efficient transportation solution and a source of unique urban vistas and exhilaration...Remember that the Gardiner is an eight-kilometer long bridge...This allows freedom of movement at street level that could never be achieved with an at-grade road system. Yes, the expressway could be torn down and the traffic could be inserted into a new, expanded surface-road system. But the barrier impact would be unprecedented."

"Any questions?"

Edit: And if the goal is to increase density then, as the past has shown, freeways and planning that puts high priorities on automobiles has the exact opposite effect. That is why so many people want to see the Gardiner removed; to increase buildable land, remove an eyesore, and create an opportunity for building an urban, liveable district in the heart of the city that will become home to 10s of thousands of new residents as well as employment opportunities.

I don't think you can argue that the highway infrastructure we have in Toronto puts an overly high priority on automobiles. Had we built the Spadina, the Richview and whatever else, then I would agree. On the other hand, Toronto has done a pretty good job of balancing both (or ignoring both, if you want)

The Gardiner doesn't stand in the way of creating new neighbourhoods. There is an absolute TON of open land surrounding it. It's been empty and waiting for a use for so long that most of us have even forgotten its there. The Gardiner is not the last parcel of buildable land in Toronto. We're drowning in empty tracts and surface parking lots.

Gardiner Expressway Renewal

The Gardiner Expressway is a vital artery and any construction and reconstruction will have an economic impact on the waterfront as well as deterred access to the city of Toronto. Removal of a small portion of the expressway will have minimal impact and perhaps increase the waterfront area to residents of the city.

I don't think you can argue that the highway infrastructure we have in Toronto puts an overly high priority on automobiles. Had we built the Spadina, the Richview and whatever else, then I would agree. On the other hand, Toronto has done a pretty good job of balancing both (or ignoring both, if you want)

The Gardiner doesn't stand in the way of creating new neighbourhoods. There is an absolute TON of open land surrounding it. It's been empty and waiting for a use for so long that most of us have even forgotten its there. The Gardiner is not the last parcel of buildable land in Toronto. We're drowning in empty tracts and surface parking lots.

Just because the highway network is not extensive in terms of number of freeways, the 16 lane wide 401 stands as a strong testament to the dedication that was once behind accomodating the automobile.

And I also agree that it is not as though the only reason for tearing down the Gardiner is too make more space for building offices and condos and all the other features of a city. And for a long time I didn't care what happened to the Gardiner because for most of its life it ran through industrial lands which were of no interest to anyone. But with people and businesses actually building on the waterfront and changing the use of that land the Gardiner does present a negative effect in terms of the quality of living and urban settings that can be created. And given that it is only going to become more and more expensive to retain the Gardiner, not too mention the cost that would associated with replacing it outright, and the minimal effects to traffic that will occur with its removal (given some rational and detailed thought is put into the issue), now is the right time to plan for its removal. It is not that new neighborhoods cannot be created with the Gardiner still standing, it is just the potential for connecting them with the rest of the city and creating great places to live is reduced so long as it stands.

Just because the highway network is not extensive in terms of number of freeways, the 16 lane wide 401 stands as a strong testament to the dedication that was once behind accomodating the automobile.

Ahhh, yes, the 401 is HUGE! That's because there's just the one, and it also serves as the main commercial route through the city (trucks) as well as the only way to get from one suburb to the other. Most cities have a couple cross-town routes. We just kept fortifying the one. I wonder what the 401 would look like if we'd built all those other crazy expressways through downtown? Smaller? Bigger?

It is not that new neighborhoods cannot be created with the Gardiner still standing, it is just the potential for connecting them with the rest of the city and creating great places to live is reduced so long as it stands.

I think ProjectEnd's post has phrased it best so far.

^As I said before I actually have a fairly neutral stance on the Gardiner. I am sure that something could be done to beautify and integrate into the urban landscape and make it less of a barrier. Likewise, I can see all the benefits that would come from tearing it done. In the end, they will be result in a lot of money being spent, either to tear it down and create the roads and services necessary to develop the former Gardiner lands and surrounding areas, or too beautify and maintain it. Either outcome will also require a lot of planning, work and visionary thinking (putting some murals and stalls under the Gardiner is hardly going to transform it to something wonderfully urban and enjoyable).

From what I have seen those in favour of tearing it down have done a far better job addressing issues such as traffic dispersal and how it can benefit the quality of life for those living, and who live in the area, as well those from across the city as a whole. That is just my opinion but since the issue of what to do with Gardiner is very much based on personal opinions and values that is what is likely to be the determining factor in the end. If people want to see the Gardiner remain it is going to take a much better vision and public appeal than has currently taken place.

Well, there *is* a commercial loss; to Shop A. Unless Shop B is going to send some of their added profits over to help Shop A.

Last ditch effort, for what it's worth: The losses to shop A (resulting from missing B shoppers) are made up by A shoppers which used to shop in B. I thought that was clear.

A simple recipe on how to link the Gardiner, taxes, election funding, the elections act, Obama and rinks all together.

pulling the plug on the only rink road for Toronto

As a taxpayer, I say tear the Gardiner down.

Back