News   Jun 17, 2024
 108     0 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 2.5K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.8K     1 

Roads: Gardiner Expressway

I know many of you are disappointed with the decision, but you should look at the silver lining that it does allow for improvements to our transit infrastructure. Here are a few ideas:

1. Dedicate the far left lane for HOV. This will mean there will be two regular through lanes, which may be more appropriate for the traffic volume. Meanwhile those who carpool or take transit (GO services into York Region, as well as Greyhound and intercity buses heading east of the city) are rewarded with a less congested trip.

2. Create a BRT route into the east end. Not only could such a route provide quick access to the eastern waterfront, it could also help to relieve the Danforth and Yonge subway lines. A tentative design I drew up would go from the Union Station Bus Terminal to a stop at Bay and Lake Shore (to take advantage of the large bus shelter there) and then to Jarvis, hop on the Gardiner briefly and get off at Cherry to make a passenger stop. Then continue along Lake Shore and Woodbine, making stops at Carlaw, Leslie, Northern Dancer (Woodbine Beach), Queen, and Kingston. It would then turn east on to Kingston and stop at Main, then go up Main stopping at Gerrard, Danforth GO, and terminating at Main subway station.

BRT.JPG

Attachments

• BRT.JPG
    BRT.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 616
I know many of you are disappointed with the decision, but you should look at the silver lining that it does allow for improvements to our transit infrastructure. Here are a few ideas:

1. Dedicate the far left lane for HOV. This will mean there will be two regular through lanes, which may be more appropriate for the traffic volume. Meanwhile those who carpool or take transit (GO services into York Region, as well as Greyhound and intercity buses heading east of the city) are rewarded with a less congested trip.

2. Create a BRT route into the east end. Not only could such a route provide quick access to the eastern waterfront, it could also help to relieve the Danforth and Yonge subway lines. A tentative design I drew up would go from the Union Station Bus Terminal to a stop at Bay and Lake Shore (to take advantage of the large bus shelter there) and then to Jarvis, hop on the Gardiner briefly and get off at Cherry to make a passenger stop. Then continue along Lake Shore and Woodbine, making stops at Carlaw, Leslie, Northern Dancer (Woodbine Beach), Queen, and Kingston. It would then turn east on to Kingston and stop at Main, then go up Main stopping at Gerrard, Danforth GO, and terminating at Main subway station.

View attachment 48397

Electrify, that's not a BRT, that's just a bus route. Unless you plan on putting in a dedicated bus lane on Lake Shore, Woodbine, Kingston AND Main, you'll save maybe 1-2mn on a 30 mn ride. Which is just not worth it, unless you're a car driver, in which case you'd spend hundreds of millions of dollars on it.

Since infrastructure decisions in Toronto are rarely translated into actual construction, could anyone tell me how ordinary citizens who oppose the hybrid can act to delay and eventually kill it?

Since infrastructure decisions in Toronto are rarely translated into actual construction, could anyone tell me how ordinary citizens who oppose the hybrid can act to delay and eventually kill it?

It is exactly these type of people with this self centred mentality that is killing any form of development of infrastructure here. weve made a decision so live with it and move forward instead of just trying to kick and whine until you get your bottle.

The Gardiner will be gone one day. If it is in 30 years time then so be it*. At least with the hybrid option the lands are being preserved for later.

* Boy in 30 years time they are going to think of us as utter fools...

The Gardiner will be gone one day. If it is in 30 years time then so be it*. At least with the hybrid option the lands are being preserved for later.

Yeah...utter fools to think of building a boulevard stump and not building a true boulevard (lol). They would also call us utter fools for our "its too expensive" and "we cannot afford it" bitching

Dream big Toronto...you want to get rid of the Gardiner? Support a grand boulevard from the DVP to Dufferin and be willing to pay for it through tolls!

Yeah...utter fools to think of building a boulevard stump and not building a true boulevard (lol). They would also call us utter fools for our "its too expensive" and "we cannot afford it" bitching
Dream big Toronto...you want to get rid of the Gardiner? Support a grand boulevard from the DVP to Dufferin and be willing to pay for it through tolls!

I am sure if we built this boulevard stump, discussion will move to following on its success and extending the boulevard to Dufferin in the future.

I am sure if we built this boulevard stump, discussion will move to following on its success and extending the boulevard to Dufferin in the future.

they said the same for sheppard and how it will expand to 6 car operations. Look at it now
Until there is a full commitment for the entirety of the gardiner left or right, that is legally binding from start to finish your assumption of success is as good as Ford and Tory's promises

they said the same for sheppard and how it will expand to 6 car operations. Look at it now
Until there is a full commitment for the entirety of the gardiner left or right, that is legally binding from start to finish your assumption of success is as good as Ford and Tory's promises
Difference being that Sheppard is not a success, is a massive money pit requiring a massive subsidy, and population/employment trends has changed drastically from when it was first proposed rendering such investments unjustifiable.

If Sheppard was a massive success, I bet you it would have been extended yesteryear.

----

I fear we are building another Sheppard with maintaining the Gardiner. We are going against global urban trends when it comes to population and employment patterns, against a demographic shift in attitude towards car ownership and approaching the downwards slope of peak oil.

I agree if we actually had funding for the Downtown Relief Line, etc. But we don't. In this context, the hybrid does make some sense.

If they do build the line, then yeah, tear down the Gardiner then. I'd agree with that.

I fear we are building another Sheppard with maintaining the Gardiner. We are going against global urban trends when it comes to population and employment patterns, against a demographic shift in attitude towards car ownership and approaching the downwards slope of peak oil.

How is maintaining a existing and popular roadway the same as building the Sheppard line? That comparison makes no sense at all.

I agree if we actually had funding for the Downtown Relief Line, etc. But we don't. In this context, the hybrid does make some sense.

If they do build the line, then yeah, tear down the Gardiner then. I'd agree with that.

How is maintaining a existing and popular roadway the same as building the Sheppard line? That comparison makes no sense at all.

Predicating the removal of that stretch on the presence or absence of DRL is kind of odd - I am unconvinced that we are talking about a group of commuters who will suddenly switch mode. If anything, I suspect increased GO frequency will have far more impact to that group.

AoD

It is exactly these type of people with this self centred mentality that is killing any form of development of infrastructure here. weve made a decision so live with it and move forward instead of just trying to kick and whine until you get your bottle.
There, there cplchanb, I know sober second thought makes you really angry. Also spelling and grammar, apparently. But since we do live in a world where Council's moronic plans are subject to the EA process by law, there's still room for citizen input, as well as provincial review.

is it possible to build an atgrade expressway along the route of the proposed boulevard? This would free up land for development, and it could be retrofitted into a boulevard later.

Back