News   Mar 28, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 557     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 849     0 

Roads: Gardiner Expressway catch-all, incl. Hybrid Design (2015-onwards)

So will the entire Gardiner end up looking the same as what they've done so far on the East section?
Will the entire Gardiner show the beams underneath like it does now in the East?
I've always hated the Gardiner, but I have to admit that whoever has designed this project has gained a fan in me. Where I've always found it offensive looking, I can live with what I'm seeing so far. Especially the exposed steel - it looks amazing.

So will the entire Gardiner end up looking the same as what they've done so far on the East section?
Will the entire Gardiner show the beams underneath like it does now in the East?
I've always hated the Gardiner, but I have to admit that whoever has designed this project has gained a fan in me. Where I've always found it offensive looking, I can live with what I'm seeing so far. Especially the exposed steel - it looks amazing.
The Gardiner was constructed using different methods so there are sections with (exposed) metal beams and sections where they used concrete. I strongly doubt this will change. The section east of Jarvis which is just about rebuilt was a 'steel beam' section and they took old beams out and put new beams in.

Ah that's too bad if it's the case.
The new area showing off those exposed beams is so nice. Modern yet with a classical feel to it. Great colors. And the Gardiner feels like it 'fits' with its surroundings to a much larger degree.

News Release

April 1, 2021

Lane reductions on the Gardiner Expressway starting April 5

A series of lane reductions and directional closures will occur on the Gardiner Expressway for one week, beginning on Monday, April 5 and ending on Monday, April 12, to allow construction activities that will restore the roadway in the lead up to traffic resumption between Jarvis Street and Cherry Street in mid-April.

Details of the scheduled lane reductions and directional closures:

• From 8 p.m. on Monday, April 5 until 6 a.m. on Tuesday, April 6, eastbound traffic will be reduced to a single lane between Yonge Street and Cherry Street.

• From 8 p.m. on Tuesday, April 6 to 6 a.m. on Wednesday, April 7 and from 8 p.m. on Wednesday, April 7 to 6 a.m. on Thursday, April 8, there will be no eastbound travel on the Expressway between Jarvis Street and the Don Valley Parkway (DVP); eastbound traffic must exit at the off-ramp at Jarvis Street.

• During these same periods, eastbound on-ramps at Bay Street and Rees Street will also be closed. Drivers travelling eastbound should consider Lake Shore Boulevard East as an alternative. Drivers must access the DVP from Eastern Avenue.

• From 10 p.m. on Friday, April 9 until 5 a.m. on Monday, April 12, there will be no westbound travel on the Expressway from the DVP to Jarvis Street. There will be no access to the westbound on-ramp at the DVP and southbound traffic should exit at Don Roadway and Lake Shore Boulevard East. As well, there will be no access to the westbound on-ramp from Carlow Avenue and drivers travelling westbound must continue travelling on Lake Shore Boulevard East.

The eastbound on-ramp at Jarvis Street will reopen to traffic on Thursday, April 8 after being closed for rehabilitation since May of last year.

hey everyone, long time reader, new poster.

Anyway seems the Gardiner Logan on-off ramps are begin closed and demolished this September. This work is part of the Portlands project to widen the Don River. Ive got the link to the waterfront toronto presentation (5:53:45 time stamp).

interesting thing is that lakeshore on ramps wont be replaced until 2026 when the hybrid Gardiner option is completed.

So a 5 year gap !!!!!

Will the ramps will be under construction from now to 2026?
well the Logan ramps are being permanently demolished. however starting in 2024 they will being construction on a new set of ramps just east of Cherry Street. These will be the new lake shore - gardiner access ramps. if all goes well they'll be completed so time in 2026.

Drove by this morning and a lot of the hoarding is down, a lot of barriers have been moved and hardly any equipment still on the road top. Going to be nice to have it open again. Well, until it's not with the up coming construction haha.

Partially open this morning
8B73B83B-5369-4A1E-B4A5-4B5DC34CFD73.jpeg

CDFCC4ED-D628-40CF-ADA2-0F5525A9E3D5.jpeg

Partially open this morning
I drove westbound last night about 11 pm, and got off at Sherbourne. I think it was open then, as the middle lane was full of vehicles removing barriers, and the traffic was further over.

Not sure I realized the significance, as it's probably only the third time I'd been (briefly) on the Gardiner since the westbound reopened.

When does the big shift away from the water towards the railway tracks occur?
The city currently has that work starting 2026 (!!!). A full decade after the plan was approved, somehow.

The city currently has that work starting 2026 (!!!). A full decade after the plan was approved, somehow.

Wow that soon.

Back