News   Mar 28, 2024
 409     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 294     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 318     0 

Road Safety & Vision Zero Plan

In a perfect world, cyclists and pedestrians would each have their own separate pathways for the same reason that cars and cyclists (or cars and pedestrians) need physical separation - it’s safer and it somewhat reduces the cognitive challenge and ease of use of both. The challenge is simply finding the necessary width within a built form that isn’t going to change any time soon.

Having said that, the lowest-hanging fruit, and the greatest opportunity for safety improvement overall, is to instill a shared-use culture rather than a "this is mine" culture for any of the modes of transport. We need to be looking out for each other, rather than observing that others are getting in our way, whatever the mode.

And having said that, I would still separate modes wherever it is possible.

- Paul

Last edited:
In a perfect world, cyclists and pedestrians would each have their own separate pathways for the same reason that cars and cyclists (or cars and pedestrians) need physical separation - it’s safer and it somewhat reduces the cognitive challenge and ease of use of both. The challenge is simply finding the necessary width within a built form that isn’t going to change any time soon.

Having said that, the lowest-hanging fruit, and the greatest opportunity for safety improvement overall, is to instill a shared-use culture rather than a "this is mine" culture for any of the modes of transport. We need to be looking out for each other, rather than observing that others are getting in our way, whatever the mode.

- Paul

It's not always necessary to have separate ROW allowance for bikes and cars. NL demonstrates this with a huge chunk of their low volume local streets being designed for 30 kph speeds and mixed traffic for cars and bikes. There is no reason the vast majority of suburban streets could not be designed this way here. It just requires the will to design emergency equipment around the city design rather than vice versa.

Part of the cultural change is reducing the traffic control device obsession (stop signs at every intersection) and making the road design force negotiation between users. Many intersections have no signage at all in NL, and are just a raised intersection. The rule being to yield to your right.

Just want to say, I do think NL gets a lot right when it comes to urban design, one thing I dislike is their penchant to overdo impermeable surfaces and have too few trees. I know I come across as a fanboy, but when it comes to road safety it is kind of unquestionable that they are on a much more fruitful track than we are in North America.

I've cycled in the Netherlands. It is so much different not having to worry about getting killed or injured. You can just go where you need to go, whether that's in town or from town to town. It's definitely cultural, but it's also lifestyle. We could learn a thing or two.
Agreed. Here’s me cycling on a rental bike in Amsterdam. It was a lot of fun.

5A88F054-7517-4290-9F5D-1235E1239BB1.jpeg
8F674A20-D2A1-46F1-9642-DEFD10C24352.jpeg
840B3A1B-EAB8-420C-93AA-858F7B5556A8.jpeg
B03EFBA8-8506-4280-9680-4FDB5EE1B1B6.jpeg
70646BEE-A26E-445F-9750-5581B084F608.jpeg
D91323B3-0359-4162-881F-7B22A3A30377.jpeg

Clearly the building should have been watching where it was going and wearing high vis.

I guess the truck was venturing onto the sidewalk for some diversity.

There was another public meeting for the Vision Zero/Beautification re-do of Kensington Market.

I will link the presentation, then bring forward some slides.

1658933365606.png

1658933392992.png

1658933427803.png

1658933458153.png

1658933486099.png

1658933517025.png

1658933548861.png

1658933622514.png

1658933654817.png

1658933712439.png

* for this one there are no pretty renders and instead three options which you can see by way of over-head view diagram which include various degrees of pedestrianization vs laybys etc.

This is a summary of the options:

1658933827702.png

1658933884446.png

There is a also a survey on offer; but I would suggest going to the deck itself and reading through before answering it:

Survey is open til August 2nd.

There was another public meeting for the Vision Zero/Beautification re-do of Kensington Market.

I will link the presentation, then bring forward some slides.

View attachment 416282

View attachment 416283

View attachment 416284

View attachment 416285
View attachment 416286

View attachment 416287
View attachment 416288

View attachment 416289

View attachment 416290

View attachment 416291

* for this one there are no pretty renders and instead three options which you can see by way of over-head view diagram which include various degrees of pedestrianization vs laybys etc.

This is a summary of the options:

View attachment 416292

View attachment 416293

There is a also a survey on offer; but I would suggest going to the deck itself and reading through before answering it:

Survey is open til August 2nd.

How about some woonerfs?

Kensington desperately needs to be pedestrianized. The fact they aren't planning for it is a travesty.

Edit: I see they are considering pedestrianizing Baldwin between Augusta and Kensington. That's the absolute minimum - Augusta between College and Dundas, Baldwin between the Green P Garage and Augusta, and the entirety of Kensington should be pedestrianized at a minimum.

Last edited:

- Paul
Having cyclists and pedestrians using the same pathways is a recipe for disaster. If it wasn't we'd allow bicycles on sidewalks everywhere. Look at Queen Quay, most days it's impossible to cycle there without having to weave around people walking in groups or pushing a large stroller. And as a pedestrians it's harrowing to never know when a bicycle is going to pass centimeters from your shoulder, where you can't change your direction or pace without first scanning behind and in front for threats. I usually skip that and cycle on the roadspace - which cancels the entire point of making that bicycle infrastructure.

Kensington desperately needs to be pedestrianized. The fact they aren't planning for it is a travesty.

Edit: I see they are considering pedestrianizing Baldwin between Augusta and Kensington. That's the absolute minimum - Augusta between College and Dundas, Baldwin between the Green P Garage and Augusta, and the entirety of Kensington should be pedestrianized at a minimum.

I'm ok w/the gist of what's planned.

I agree at least one pedestrian-only space is an important part of the mix.

I can see why they wouldn't choose Augusta for that; but I'm actually surprised not to see it on one of the super narrow N-S streets.

I would personally like to see a couple more trees in the plans; but the thing I find most irksome might be more subtle to some.

The idea that they will spring for paving interlock on the road surface, then do the sidewalk in plane concrete. Ugh, no.

Last edited:
The streets around Kensington market need definitely to be pedestrianized. Trucks can have right to enter mornings until 10h for example.

Even the vendors at the St. Lawrence Market are now totally in favor ot pedestrianization Market St.

Mike Layton’s comments made to me:

“This is a complex issue with many stakeholders andI continue to try my best. Vast majority of long time residents in the market disagree with your assessment.”

“I’d encourage you to have an open mind on this. I don’t respond further.”

Very disappointing comments by him in my view. Sad!

Back