News   Jul 25, 2024
 61     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 233     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 355     0 

Riverside Towns (was Leslieville Lofts, Hyde Pk/Lamb Dev, 140-162 Broadview, 3s, ?)COMPLETE

nice ultra modern building, though I'm not a fan of the putting green on the roof! hopefully thats just a metaphor for a rooftop garden...

Regarding the various posts ...

"Leslieville Lofts" will be here:

LeslievilleLofts-1.jpg

The project that Lamb is developing at Dundas/Carlaw ("Work Lofts") is here:

LeslievilleLofts2.jpg

A view of both sites:

LeslievilleLofts3.jpg

Lamb Development Corp overview from the Leslieville website:

LeslievilleLofts.jpg

But Broadview isn't in Leslieville--so the project name is misleading.

I'm not too familiar with the east end so I looked up Leslieville on Wikipedia:

"Leslieville is a neighbourhood in Toronto, Ontario, Canada east of the Don River bounded by the Canadian National railway line to the north, Carlaw Avenue to the west, Eastern Avenue to south, and Coxwell Avenue to the east."

I realize Wikipedia isn't the final word but based on that description it would seem "Leslieville Lofts" would apply more appropriately to Lamb's "Work Lofts" site at Dundas and Carlaw.

Maybe someone will buy jilly's and turn it into a hipster strip bar? That would be interesting.

I believe I read in a neighborhood newspaper that Jilly's signed a 5 year lease this past summer. The ladies of Queen East aren't going anywhere quite yet...

Technically this is not in Leslieville, Leslieville runs from Empire to Greenwood along Queen but the boundries have always been disputed.
I for the life of me can't figure out how they are going to fit that building on that tiny little lot, I was looking at it last night and there is no way that will fit without raising a bunch of homes, that aren't for sale.
Could this just be where the sales office will be located?

In regards to the Jilly's sign I keep bugging my wife, that she could make some good tips waitressing there :D

I can see my house on those google earth shots!

Technically this is not in Leslieville, Leslieville runs from Empire to Greenwood along Queen but the boundries have always been disputed.

There aren't any official boundaries. Leslieville (and any other neighbourhood for that matter) is whatever people say it is -- people will have different views. There is no "technically" about it. For some neighbourhoods, there is pretty wide consensus as to where neighbourhood starts and ends, but Leslieville and Riverdale (to name two examples) are not among them.

BIA monickers and boundaries do not a neighbourhood make.

There aren't any official boundaries. Leslieville (and any other neighbourhood for that matter) is whatever people say it is -- people will have different views. There is no "technically" about it. For some neighbourhoods, there is pretty wide consensus as to where neighbourhood starts and ends, but Leslieville and Riverdale (to name two examples) are not among them.

BIA monickers and boundaries do not a neighbourhood make.

I'm not going by the BIA signs, but traditionally Leslieville is considered east/south of the tracks that cut diagonally through the nabe, anything west of the tracks south of dundas was, untill recently referred to as Queen/Broadview village or as I have always called it growing up QB.
Riverdale encompasses both areas, but Jimmy Simpson has always been the western boundary of the leslieville strip.
No long term resident would ever call queen/broadview leslieville, those are the recent transplants.

I'm not going by the BIA signs, but traditionally Leslieville is considered east/south of the tracks that cut diagonally through the nabe, anything west of the tracks south of dundas was, untill recently referred to as Queen/Broadview village or as I have always called it growing up QB.
Riverdale encompasses both areas, but Jimmy Simpson has always been the western boundary of the leslieville strip.
No long term resident would ever call queen/broadview leslieville, those are the recent transplants.

But that's it exactly. You hold to what you believe to be the "traditional" view of the neighbourhood, but it's an opinion. Neighbourhoods and areas evolve, and it's often the ones going through gentrification where the "boundaries" often get turned on their head. Your view is no more valid than that of (what you call) a "recent transplant". Your definition is not wrong -- I have no doubt others share it. But there's nothing official or technical about it. Heck, some of the oldsters in Cabbagetown still call it Don Vale and think of Cabbagetown as being far to the south.

I would entirely agree with you if we were debating the eastern edge which is defined by a series of sidestreets, which would make it very difficult to determine what starts and ends where. The tracks make a boundary which is hardly debatable, much like the don valley being the eastern edge of Cabbagetown. I don't think anyone on Broadview would say that they are a part of cabbagetown. Or that the rosedale valley is the southern edge of Rosedale.

By your logic Rosedale continues along the north side of Danforth all the way to Woodbine, which it most certainly doesn't. The west/north side of the tracks are in no way, or ever will be Leslieville.

I would entirely agree with you if we were debating the eastern edge which is defined by a series of sidestreets, which would make it very difficult to determine what starts and ends where. The tracks make a boundary which is hardly debatable, much like the don valley being the eastern edge of Cabbagetown. I don't think anyone on Broadview would say that they are a part of cabbagetown. Or that the rosedale valley is the southern edge of Rosedale.

By your logic Rosedale continues along the north side of Danforth all the way to Woodbine, which it most certainly doesn't. The west/north side of the tracks are in no way, or ever will be Leslieville.

Not quite sure why you are so worked up. As for it being "hardly debatable", I am a little puzzled why you think that. There is no neighbourhood boundary commission, nor any statute or by-law, nor any edict from God, that says the tracks form the boundary for all time. It's certainly fair for you to believe that the "west/north side of the tracks are in no way, or ever will be Leslieville", but unless you have been granted dictatorial powers of which I am not aware, it's all just opinion. And those "recent transplants" that seem to have you agitated are entitled to have their opinion too.

Neighbourhood boundaries are what people say they are. Not only do various opinions differ at any given point in time, but opinions also change over time. These things are in flux. You can come up with all the ridiculous examples you want about Rosedale, but the truth is a lot of people are calling the area west of the tracks Leslieville. And just because you strongly disagree does not make them wrong.

Neighbourhood boundaries are what people say they are. Not only do various opinions differ at any given point in time, but opinions also change over time. These things are in flux. You can come up with all the ridiculous examples you want about Rosedale, but the truth is a lot of people are calling the area west of the tracks Leslieville. And just because you strongly disagree does not make them wrong.

Without official boundaries to our neighbourhoods, we decide by consensus just what is Leslieville or Rosedale or The Beach. While the centers of such areas are easy to locate, the edges are often harder to define.

Developers and real estate agents have been pulling at those edges since the dawn of marketing. The Beach - or Beaches if you side with the local minority - is the ultimate example of a desirable residential area whose boundaries have been pulled further and further north over time for the purpose of selling a home at a higher price. 'Upper Beach' is now a common and rather laughable sales pitch for homes in neighbourhoods north of the tracks.

In this case Lamb Development is pulling at another neighbourhood edge. 'Leslieville' has become marketable in a way that 'Queen-Broadview Village' village is not, so in sweep the forces of neighbourhood boundary change for the sake of making a buck. That's all it is. Whether consensus follows the marketers will only be told in five or ten years.

Lamb has his own development company called Lamb Development Corp.
Has had this since 2001. Lamb Corp is also doing Work Lofts and is targeting the East side. Brad Lamb Realty will sell the projects and will probably refuse to
co-operate with brokers unless sales are really slow, thus saving on commission paid out.

Horizontal integration sure is sweet.

I doubt they are allowed to refuse sales from other brokers/agents.

edit: BTW, when the manufacturer and the distributor is the same entity, it's called vertical integration. But yeah I hear what you are saying. Horizontal integration is when the same entity owns different manufacturers.

So do we know for sure if the sales office is the location of the building? Are they tearing down that hall thing next door? I still don't see how they can build on that site, it really doesn't look big enough.

Back