News   Apr 30, 2024
 225     0 
News   Apr 30, 2024
 698     0 
News   Apr 29, 2024
 1.7K     0 

Riverdale

I checked out Saturday Dinette last week and it seems like it should do well. It was busy, the service was friendly and the food was good (and affordable)

Technically Playter estates but ...

From the Star (with photos):

Playter sisters, 96 and 92, put their Danforth area home up for sale for $1.5 million

For the first time since it was built in 1930, this gracious, wood-filled house is going up for sale for $1.5 million.

That means it’s about to pass out of the hands of the last two Playters, 96-year-old Madeline and her 92-year-old widowed sister Mary Moore, who grew up in the prestigious neighbourhood in the Broadview and Danforth area that bears their family’s name.

Mary hasn’t lived in the house in decades. Madeline has spent much of her life there. But she recently had to move into a home for the aged, and neither sister has children they could will the home to.

It's on MLS. Open house this weekend. I think it will be like a museum tour. Imagine, two deer heads from deer SHOT ON THE PROPERTY!!!

Interesting. There is a realtor's website which has the same photos as MLS, but also has a virtual tour (where I noticed one of the deer heads not visible in the photos).

It really gives you a flavour what the interior of a large Riverdale house would have looked like in the 1930s or so. Fascinating.

Danforth East of Pape and Pape North of Danforth are both evolving as rents along Danforth btwn Broadview and Pape have escalated

I read that Shopsy's is moving into 888 Danforth (ex-The Works, ex-Patris)

As Skeezix points, there will be competition ... of a sort. CJ's has an established clientele -- I used to be a regular at Court Jester -- and it sells a lot of beer. It's seen as "local."

Shopsy's is an outlander. Its menu strikes me as Fran's with some deli. That's okay if you have a solid business lunch, pre-game/theatre and family clientele -- but this ain't the location.

Family works in the burbs where there's less competition and no family-friendly Greek restaurants like, say, the Pantheon. There's no business lunch or ACC crowd here. It won't be a "destination" as in "let's go to Greektown" despite its (shady) patio. Not even the tourists will venture here.

I can't imagine why anybody world think this has a chance.

All valid points, EMG, and it might last less time than The Works did. My guess is that they'll do okay, esp. at breakfast and brunch. Honestly, I can't figure out why people would bother going to St. Louis Bar and Grill, which is like the fast food version of a sports bar, but I think some people like a chain and/or established name, even if there is better nearby.

All valid points, EMG, and it might last less time than The Works did. My guess is that they'll do okay, esp. at breakfast and brunch. Honestly, I can't figure out why people would bother going to St. Louis Bar and Grill, which is like the fast food version of a sports bar, but I think some people like a chain and/or established name, even if there is better nearby.

You know what you're going to get. Plus they have certain drinks and "deals" that people are familiar with.

You know what you're going to get. Plus they have certain drinks and "deals" that people are familiar with.

Yes, I agree with this - I think that Shopsy's will do well - at least well enough to stay in business. It's a known entity and people don't like to try new things. Look at Il Fornello and how long it's been open on the Danforth even though they sell practically inedible food.

Probably a bit worrisome for the CJ.

Introducing: Louis Cifer Brew Works, a huge new brewpub on the Danforth
David Ort, Toronto Life, 3 November 2014

From the looks of it, the interiors have been completely gutted of the "douchebag chic" vibe that characterized Davos/Legion. And at least Louis Cifer painted the second storey exterior charcoal grey, to try and hide the 2010-11 greco-roman stucco awfulness (which the last tenant, 417 Lounge, never bothered trying to do).

Back