News   Apr 22, 2024
 782     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 260     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 665     0 

Riverdale

There's a lot going on in the neighbourhood this weekend. Farmer's market, and 100 in 1 day urban interventions in Withrow Park, Riverdale Street Sale, Riverside Eats and Beats street festival, and the Riverdale Art walk.

Last couple of days, I have noticed that the windows at the former location of (the much-missed) Hammersmith's (at Gerrard and Logan) are papered over and there is a liquor license application in the window. Couldn't stop to check it out, but according to this, the applicant for the liquor license is "Saturday Dinette" (sounds cute and promising). Hope they have better luck with the landlord than Hammersmith's did.

Noticed that the "For Lease" sign has disappeared from the window of the ground-floor unit in the new building at Logan and Danforth (southwest corner). Might mean that it has been leased (or it might simply mean that the owner is switching realtors). In any event, there are views of the interior here.

Noticed that the "For Lease" sign has disappeared from the window of the ground-floor unit in the new building at Logan and Danforth (southwest corner). Might mean that it has been leased (or it might simply mean that the owner is switching realtors). In any event, there are views of the interior here.

I guess they did change realtors. Noticed new signs this evening.

A new Starbucks is coming to the Danforth, north side, just east of Broadview, where Dollar Plus is now (between Bread & Greens and Wong's Camera). Noticed a "closing sale" sign at Dollar Plus this past weekend.

It's a shame that no independent coffee house culture ever developed along the Danforth. Crema at Logan, with Red Rocket much further east, is it. (Am I missing anything?) Otherwise, it's Starbucks, Second Cup, Timothy's and, of course, Timmies.

Last edited:
looks like a terrible setup.

the space is interrupted by 2 bulky pods - which looks like the entrances/stairwell to the upper units of 894 and 896 Logan;
where is the main floor powder room? if there isn't one, anyone renting the space for food services like café, etc will have to install them which takes up more space but might not be even possible considering the layout of the property.
I do like the accordion doors though.

It's a shame that no independent coffee house culture ever developed along the Danforth. Crema at Logan, with Red Rocket much further east, is it.

You could also include Tsaa in that -- they focus on tea, but also do coffee.

I'm shocked it took so long for another Starbucks to pop up on the Danforth. The Chester-Broadview corridor is their target demo and you currently have to walk all the way to Pape.

I wouldn't be surprised if an Aroma also pops up at some point.

Last edited:
You could also include Tsaa in that -- they focus on tea, but also do coffee.

Yes - I did think of that, and Tsaa is a gem, but they are a tea place. Lots of places "do" coffee. McDonald's, for example, does coffee. It's possible, though, that I shouldn't draw such a hard line between tea and coffee places.

I guess I should also mention Riverdale Perk and Red Rooster, two great coffee places, neither of which happen to be on the Danforth strip, but rather in the midst of the residential neighbourhood.

Last edited:
Yes - I did think of that, and Tsaa is a gem, but they are a tea place. Lots of places "do" coffee. McDonald's, for example, does coffee. It's possible, though, that I shouldn't draw such a hard line between tea and coffee places.

I guess I should also mention Riverdale Perk and Red Rooster, two great coffee places, neither of which happen to be on the Danforth strip, but rather in the midst of the residential neighbourhood.

Red Rooster is "steps" away, on Broadview, as is Broadview Espresso, just north of the subway station, with a little outdoor hanging area.

As for Danforth, come on people! All those Greek kaffenions? And then, further east, the Italian joints? These people practically invented coffee houses. Cafe Frappe and 521 at Ferrier both serve coffee, and the Greek iced frappucino-like thing called Cafe Frappe. Doesn't anybody care for the real deal?

The Starbucks will be practically next door to McDonald's, whose coffee I quite like, across from Tim's, whose coffee I quite hate, and a block or two from Second Cup at Hampton and Timothy's in the Carrot Common.

I'm not sure Red Rooster is steps away (Riverdale Perk is actually closer to the Danforth), but I had mentioned it. I'd forgotten Broadview Espresso (the whole stretch of Broadview north of Danforth is simultaneously under-valued by area residents and not living up to its potential). Not sure what the "real deal" is (I suspect it differs from person to person), but not sure it's Kafenions (unless you're an old Greek guy), nor places more known for beer or frappés and other deserts. Regret having made the original comment, as this is clearly not a black and white issue. Am now waiting for someone to say that Greenwood Smokehouse has great coffee.

I'm not sure Red Rooster is steps away (Riverdale Perk is actually closer to the Danforth), but I had mentioned it. I'd forgotten Broadview Espresso (the whole stretch of Broadview north of Danforth is simultaneously under-valued by area residents and not living up to its potential). Not sure what the "real deal" is (I suspect it differs from person to person), but not sure it's Kafenions (unless you're an old Greek guy), nor places more known for beer or frappés and other deserts. Regret having made the original comment, as this is clearly not a black and white issue. Am now waiting for someone to say that Greenwood Smokehouse has great coffee.

Oooops. My mistake. I meant Si Espresso Bar, not Red Rooster.

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/10/1852816/restaurant/Greektown-The-Danforth/Si-Espresso-Bar-Toronto

I was kidding about the Greek places. But I will never forget the pilot episode of The Sopranos, in which Tony and his crew walk by a Starbucks (or reasonable facsimile) and he curses himself out for not getting into the business since "We invented it."

As for Broadview, north of Danforth, I could not agree more, especially considering the relative wealth of the hood, and its location. Tomorrow night at Eastminster Church however, there will be a lot of NIMBYism when city planners hold a meeting over designating that strip between Danforth and Mortimer as an "avenue." For my part, I would much rather see well-designed low-midrise buildings with ground level retail than the motley and mostly ugly collection of buildings now there. A few of the older houses and apartment buildings are worth preserving but the rest can go IMO.

Back