News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.2K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 623     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 906     0 

Riverdale

You can't help but wonder if many of the Greek restaurants on the Danforth are particularly vulnerable during the pandemic. I bet many were barely hanging on pre-COVID.
You are right. I see that the commercial space where Pappas Grill used to occupy for 30+ years is now for lease on MLS. The asking rate is $55 per square foot for 3,000 square feet of space. This translates into $13,750 rent per month plus utilities and property taxes. Imagine how many shish kebob dinners are needed in order to pay the insane amount of rent.

Pappas Grill at Danforth & Arundel has closed after over 30 years in business:

Likely the first of many. Pappas Grill was particularly susceptible given its huge square footage. I hope that my favorite Greek joint, The Palace on Pape, can hold on.

Likely the first of many. Pappas Grill was particularly susceptible given its huge square footage. I hope that my favorite Greek joint, The Palace on Pape, can hold on.

A friend of mine always makes it a tradition of going to Astoria at Danforth & Chester every year for his birthday. They're also a chain with a few locations in the suburbs so I wonder how they'll hang on.

Personally I like Pantheon in Greektown.

I live less than a minute's walk from Square Boy, but have only been there once since the pandemic started. As much as I love the food and convenience for late night grub, the interior layout is not conducive for maintaining physical distancing. I never felt as vulnerable as the last time I went, even with only 5 people allowed inside at a time. They really need to give out order numbers (pandemic or not).

Admittedly, I've never officially eaten at Square Boy before but it was always on my radar. Independent diner/burger joints are a rarity nowadays in Toronto. I've grown up with Dairy Freeze at St. Clair W & Caledonia in my area, and Burger Shack at Eglinton W & Oriole back in my high school days.

Never been to Square Boy but I always reckoned it was a shitty place to eat. The food's good?

I feel like it's standard nonsense "fat pizza", as I call it.

Never been to Square Boy but I always reckoned it was a shitty place to eat. The food's good?

I feel like it's standard nonsense "fat pizza", as I call it.
"Good" is subjective. Definitely not healthy, but satisfying after a hockey game and post-game beers. There's definitely better burgers. I haven't been to Rudy's yet, but a colleague really liked it.

This is great and will help at some of the chokepoints where patios significantly reduced the width of sidewalks along Danforth

Segway back to Square Boy, a lot of people drive there and illegally park on the street in front of the restaurant. Square Boy and the adjacent Dominos/Pet Valu are one of they very few places that have dedicated off-street parking on Danforth. I hope the spaces in front of Dominos/Pet Valu close because they are very unfriendly to pedestrians and cyclists. The only other surface parking lot off of Danforth between Broadview and Donlands is the Green P @ Playter. East of Donlands there are more surface lots and driveways.

What about a shift in conversation? Who do you think is handling this "well"?

I follow the Danforth BIA on Instagram and see a lot of businesses along the Danforth are trying to figure out how to continue to do business during this time - dare I say even excel?

I see the bakery Dough doing a lot. I always thought it was an average place, sometimes inconsistent, but I think they are doing a well good job keeping everyone up-to-date on social media while continuing to sell things from eggs to baked goods to heat & eat meals.

I have also seen some of the restaurants not known for take-out to set something up, like the Auld Spot. Small Wonders was also on top of it too. There's also some more traditional retail (clothing) who are doing some social media pieces to keep people engaged.

Unfortunately I am away from home (Danforth) right now but has anyone tried some of these offerings?

Looks like the chain are also being affected by COVID. A sign posted on the door of the Goodlife @ Pape & Danforth states they are locked out for non-payment of rent. The Pizzaolio in the same block is now closed and a For Lease sign is posted.

Looks like the chain are also being affected by COVID. A sign posted on the door of the Goodlife @ Pape & Danforth states they are locked out for non-payment of rent. The Pizzaolio in the same block is now closed and a For Lease sign is posted.

Apologies to the users/staff of Goodlife, but can't say I'll miss that.

I do, however think Pizzaiolo makes among the best slices in the City. (def. best chain slice)

Interesting. The Goodlife website still has the Danforth location listed as re-opening July 13 (assuming Ontario gives the green light for gym re-openings). Even though I have a Goodlife membership, I rarely go to the Danforth location as the layout is poor, especially for group classes. I usually go to the Coxwell/Gerrard location.

Interesting. The Goodlife website still has the Danforth location listed as re-opening July 13 (assuming Ontario gives the green light for gym re-openings). Even though I have a Goodlife membership, I rarely go to the Danforth location as the layout is poor, especially for group classes. I usually go to the Coxwell/Gerrard location.
The landlord and Goodlife came to an agreement and Goodlife is now staying. That will bring a lot of foot traffic back to the Danforth when Phase 3 begins.

Back