News   May 02, 2024
 654     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 364     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 309     0 

Riverdale

It still blows my mind that someone tried to open up a 'Spring Rolls' on Broadview (west side, just south of gerrard) lol.
I only noticed that relatively recently, despite that I used to either walk or ride past it every day. Not very prominent! How long has it been there? Is it still open - looked closed when I went past, but it was mid-day.

I recall reading that the whole chain was having financial problems, so I'm not that surprised. I used to like the place, but there are now a plethora of better "gourmet burger" spots around (including The Works to the east on Danforth, which is great).

Burger Stomper west on the Danforth is also pretty good. The sliders restaurant (the name of which escapes me at the moment), practically kitty korner to Licks (where Three's Company used to be) didn't last long, though.

Many of the pubs have good burgers too. I like the Court Jester's. Allen's lays claim to the best in town but it's overrated and overpriced IMO. A new place KO Burger seems to be opening up on Broadview, just north of Danforth. And, of course, there's the awesome but humble home burger at Square Boy.

And, of course, there's the awesome but humble home burger at Square Boy.

I have reason to expect Square Boy is under new management. The old owners don't seem to be working the counter anymore and they have shifted their policy on customers surrounding the topping counter like hungry wolves to asking patrons to sit down until they hear their order called. Prices haven't been touched. Still $4.95 for a burger, fries and pop.

Real Jerk

Sign in the window of former The PlayPen Lounge in the ugly plaza @ corner Gerrard and Carlaw, says The Real Jerk will open there soon.

I only noticed that relatively recently, despite that I used to either walk or ride past it every day. Not very prominent! How long has it been there? Is it still open - looked closed when I went past, but it was mid-day.

I want to say at least 2 years?

Sign in the window of former The PlayPen Lounge in the ugly plaza @ corner Gerrard and Carlaw, says The Real Jerk will open there soon.

That's amazing. Snooty condo owners's loss is Riverdale's gain. I wonder how it will impact Island Joes business in Gerrard Square...

Different clientele - The Real Jerk is more sit-down, Island Joe's is quick service.

I think the new location is probably better for them than next to the DVP anyway.

Different clientele - The Real Jerk is more sit-down, Island Joe's is quick service.

Island Joe's is awesome. Love their chickpea curry. (I am not much of a meat eater.)

The Real Jerk will thrive in that location. Plenty of parking for one thing. The fire station out back which will douse the burning tongues. (I kill myself sometimes.) And I believe it will help overhaul the Gerrard strip the way that Playpen couldn't because it was too much too soon. That Batifole survives is a miracle to me.

I don't blame the condo residents. I don't care what anybody says, restaurants attract pests. There's garbage that piles up and noisy trucks that pick it of course, deliveries and, let's face it, the smell of curry can really permeate everything. When I make it, you know it even a week later.

I did try Playpen ... once. Found it pretentious and overpriced. Too many "small plates" for "big prices." It was basically a distant cousin of Lolita's Lust on the Danforth and To Mikro on Queen E. at Leslie. The original incarnation of Pan as well. Could have been a chef that bounced around or something. I forget the connection. Anyway Lolita's Lust endures, I am happy to say. I don't go often but, when I do, I never regret it.

I finally tried Kritamos in the old Wimpy's location. Excellent, especially if you like fish. Their house special is the zucchini fritter which is original and amazing. They don't have a website for some weird reason. Or maybe I just can't find it. Good reviews on Urban Spoons.

That Batifole survives is a miracle to me.

I'm guessing cheap rent (relative to Queen or the Danforth) surrounded by a good neighbourhood. Places like Batifole don't rely on pedestrian traffic the same way some other places do, so the surrounding streetscape probably isn't key to its business model. It survived, and Playpen did not, because Batifole is good, whereas most people I know who tried Playpen either said "meh" or were only mildly enthusiastic (I never managed to get to it while it was open).

Timmy's is moving in to the high profile SE corner at Broadview and Danforth. I had my money on a coffee shop, but I was thinking Starbucks or Aroma.

Back