News   Jul 16, 2024
 419     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 534     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.4K     3 

Riverdale

Just popping in to confirm the LCBO 'rumour'.....The application for Site Plan Approval has been filed with the City for the old Albany Clinic site.

This one was YEARS in the works, some long negotiations here.

Oh, it is for 1-storey + Mezzanine. Haven't seen a render or layout so I'm not clear on the Mezz. part.

Last edited:
Outstanding! That site threatened to be a real blight on the street (much like the vacant lot to the east), and a big booze store will be most welcome.

New park at Carroll and Queen East starting to take shape

Looks like they had a small ceremony yesterday, and earth is being moved (also, the signs are up to close Carroll between Thompson and Matilda.)

Folks who buy/have bought in the Streetcar condo at Q&C will be very happy with this reno -- their back decks/windows will look over tennis courts and greenspace.

There's going to be an Open House at St. Matthew’s Lawn Bowling Club on Sunday, October 16th from 1:30 until 4:00 p.m.

Letting the Chinese tai chi folks use it in the winter; using the indoors space for small concerts ( and holding larger events such as Shakespeare In The Park and Dusk Dances outside, using the porch as a stage, with the audience in the park ); indoor meetings for local community groups, presentations by the Riverdale Historical Society; occasional exhibitions of art/design/architecture; bingo; a local fruit and vegetable market, though that might muddy the floors; additional space for events linked to the Library next door; financial sponsorship, perhaps by Bridgepoint as part of the "health" of the community; a regular fundraising night ( I think they meant some sort of games thing like bingo ) so that groups wouldn't have to pay to rent the space but could just book it, etc. etc.

What happened on Carlaw ( photographers, designers and artists priced out of cheap and readily available studio space, where they lived off of their creative endevours, so that fake "studio" residential condos could be built there ) has been repeating all over the downtown for years now. Despite Toronto's status as a creative city and cultural centre, I think the conditions where lively cultural interactions can take place in the downtown core are being weakened as cheap rental space for new immigrants, artists, designers, etc. is disappearing and lower income creatives are being forced further out.

Neighbourhood Halloween play
a3b435764c37b9dea19e59b71ee4.jpeg

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/1078451--neighbourhood-gets-into-the-spirits

I passed by at about 8:35, after I'd finished here at the Library .... and ignored it as usual.

It's all about the parents who run it, I think.

I passed by at about 8:35, after I'd finished here at the Library .... and ignored it as usual.

It's all about the parents who run it, I think.

Hahaha... well, of course it is. That doesn't make it any less fun. Definitely not for refined tastes... but that's not the point of it, is it? Shameless buffoonery and helping 8 year olds have fun has its place US.

FWIW, my 12-year-old loved it and danced along the whole time.

I'm glad they shifted it a block south. Maybe they should set it up on a trailer and tour it around town next year.

What happened on Carlaw ( photographers, designers and artists priced out of cheap and readily available studio space, where they lived off of their creative endevours, so that fake "studio" residential condos could be built there ) has been repeating all over the downtown for years now. Despite Toronto's status as a creative city and cultural centre, I think the conditions where lively cultural interactions can take place in the downtown core are being weakened as cheap rental space for new immigrants, artists, designers, etc. is disappearing and lower income creatives are being forced further out.
I have watched that process happen since 1970. There were lots of us living & working in 'alternate' spaces in the downtown - factories, coach-houses, above stores, even garages. A whole wave of artists moved out of the city to small towns in the 80's & 90's, as overall rental prices soared. As a starving artist, I had an open almost 3000 sq. ft. in a small factory in the Trinity Bellwoods area. Now I see 500 sq. ft. tiny condos marketed as "loft" spaces and can't help snorting. :)

Back