News   Jul 16, 2024
 354     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 456     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.3K     3 

Riverdale

Found this paragraph in an article that ran in the Globe back in 1983.

Cabbagetown's success swiftly spawned an imitator across the Don Valley. "We coined Cabbagetown II in late 1976-77," Mr. Martel says.

Cabbagetown II was based on the premise of the movie sequel: ride the coattails of the original's success. Though the label has disappeared, the area west of the Don River to about Pape Avenue and north from Queen Street to Danforth Avenue, has prospered under its true name, Riverdale. "I worked in that area for years and had never heard the term Riverdale," Mr. Martel says. "We found that Cabbagetown was pricing itself outside the market. We were working across the valley so we called it Cabbagetown II to attract people. As people became more interested in the area and got to know the term Riverdale, we dropped the name Cabbagetown II." South Riverdale lies between Gerrard and Queen streets, but to add to the confusion, the area around Gerrard and Broadview is also called Chinatown III after its inhabitants, most of whom moved there after selling their houses on the west side of the valley. The original Chinatown centres on Dundas Street between St. Patrick Street and Spadina Avenue. Chinatown II extends north of Dundas along Spadina.

Does anyone remember the plan to brand the area Cabbagetown II? It seems hard to believe that the name Riverdale was little known just 30 years ago.

Interesting. So I take it Riverdale park is also a new moniker?

Riverdale Park, the Riverdale Library, Riverdale Hospital, and Riverdale Collegiate were all prominent local landmarks in the 1970s, I'm not sure how a realtor in the area could never have heard the word.

Sometimes defunct neighbourhood names do persist in older institutions. For instance, Eastdale Collegiate is nearby, but who's ever heard of the neighbourhood of Eastdale? Or St. Andrew and St. Patrick subway stations. Those are the old ward names for those part of town, but no one knows those neighbourhoods by those names any more. Perhaps Riverdale was in the same state in the 1970s?

An additional piece of evidence. In 1964 the Star ran a series exploring some of Toronto's neighbourhoods. Riverdale was not included. The series did cover The Danforth, which in this map that was included, covered a far larger area than what is today considered The Danforth, including much of Riverdale.

4812316823_c95b035b66.jpg

Last edited:
The name "Riverdale" was evident in Yellow Pages neighbourhood classifications in the 1960s, so it was far from "unknown"--perhaps it all had more to do with East Toronto *at large* once being terra incognita to the real estate gentrifier (a little like Brooklyn before the hipsters leaped the East River into Billburg, etc).

"Riverdale" was certainly in far more common usage than "Leslieville".

Can anyone tell me what is going on at the old Playter Family Estate, in the, urgh, Playter Estates. There is a massive addition on the back of the house with a number of balconies. Is it going to be multi-unit?

I don't know what it is going to be, but I am hugely surprised that the building is being altered so drastically -- I would have thought it would be considered an historical property.

Playter House and the lawn bowls clubhouse

The Playter's farmhouse was sold after the last aunt standing moved/was moved to a nursing home. There was some kind of agreement about additions allowed versus restoration demanded between the buyers and the city (it would otherwise have been a perfect candidate for a gut reno.) One of the local weeklies wrote it up many moons ago, if you wish to go surfing for answers.

And, after a summer of slumber, action has heated back up at the relocated lawn bowls memorial clubhouse. Construction detritus has been removed, a trailer moved in, and it looks like renos are about to begin again.

Last edited:
The lawn bowling club house (a designated heritage structure) at its new location on Broadview, just north of the Don Jail and Bridgepoint hospital.

Attachments

• IMG_1027.jpg
    IMG_1027.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 189
It's getting close to that time of year again....
Trying to find the registration date for Withrow Park ball hockey and can't find any info on their horrible webpage. If anyone has any info on it could you either post it here or send me a PM?
My son wasn't old enough last year and I want to get him signed up this year to ensure a spot for up coming years.

Thanks for any help

Paraone

I've been hanging around this area a bit, but not enough to get a good feel of the neighborhood. I am considering buying in the Minto Skyy...I really like the building and facilities, but was kinda discouraged when it came to the property assessment which was $150K!?! This would be my first property ever, so I am wondering if this is a good idea, or perhaps there are other projects out there that may be a better investment? Any guidance would greatly be appreciated :)

1) Minto Skyy is north of Danforth, so it isn't Riverdale.
2) Property assessment does not indicate value. It's just a number the government uses to calculate tax. It is not based on transaction costs at all. My last house was assessed at $280K - 65% of what I bought it for, and well under 60% of what it sold it for a few years later. I would expect very few property assessments accurately reflect property value.
3) It's a bit barren up there - I'd prefer something along Queen East/Leslieville, but if you have a car and need DVP access it could make sense. Just my opinion.

It is not based on transaction costs at all. My last house was assessed at $280K - 65% of what I bought it for, and well under 60% of what it sold it for a few years later. I would expect very few property assessments accurately reflect property value.
Property assessments for condos and townhouses in large complexes often very accurately reflect the true property value. In fact, I'd say my assessments for my condo townhome was probably within 5-10% of true sale value for the period, which is pretty damn accurate IMO.

OTOH, my assessment for my current home is off by quite a bit. Too low... which is fine by me. Not surprising though since my home is one of the more expensive homes in the neighbourhood, as it is larger and a much newer build than most of the homes in the neighbourhood. My neighbourhood is mostly small post-wartime bungalows... but with occasional interspersed larger homes representing teardown-rebuilds. The small wartime bungalows have reasonably accurate property assessments, but teardown-rebuilts are under-assessed.

Showcase makes Riverdale a star!

So, I'm flipping channels last night and run into the new series 'King' on Showcase. They've been pumping it pretty hard lately, so I settle in to see if it's as crappy as I thought from the teasers. While the show is a watered-down version of the American 'cop show lite' (think 'Castle' with OK production values, but definitely not high end), the hilarious thing for me was the location -- not only was it unapologetically Toronto (unlike Flashpoint where they play it down a little, even though it's definitely Toronto), they were chasing the 'Riverdale Rapist'!

We're a star! Amongst locations: the pedestrian bridge between Riverdale Parks East/West and Riverdale Avenue (particularly the big manse halfway between Broadview & Logan).

Unfortunately, it wasn't a keeper. It'll need to sharpen things up to have any legs. Not bad... just meh.

I adore seeing shows that are recognizably set in Toronto, which is one of the reasons I so like Flashpoint. But local colour is simply not enough to keep me coming back to King, which is so generic and by-the-numbers. "Meh", indeed.

Theres a community consultation meeting on May 26th, at Danforth Collegiate regarding the upcoming service review cuts.

I don't care what your politics are, if you care about the city you should at least come and hear what is being said by our neighbours.

Here's the cut and copy version of what's on the website.

Thursday May 26
Danforth Collegiate, cafeteria
800 Greenwood Ave., north of Danforth
7:00 pm - 9:00 pm

Take the subway to Greenwood or Donlands station, walk north from Danforth to Strathmore Boulevard.

There is wheelchair accessible parking near the south doors to the school, off Strathmore Boulevard.

The doors on the south side of the school off Strathmore are the best entrance to the cafeteria. Please use these doors.

There will be some parking available in the school parking lot, as well as potential street parking.

They will ask you to register, so please do. Look forward to meeting some of you there.

Back