News   Jul 16, 2024
 89     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 267     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1K     3 

Riverdale

I wonder what the Albany Medical Clinic building will be used for, once they move into the new place designed by &Co? I adore the brutalist concrete work in the entrance stairwell - the preserved imprint of the wooden plank forms used in its creation, and the added patina of grime that only time and the benediction of thousands of grubby, idly caressing hands can bestow on the surface of something.

Last week I noticed that the friendly neighbourhood Scientologists have set up shop on Broadview just south of Gerrard. Now we can all get personality tests.

A coupla' notes...

The Scientologists have been on Broadview for a couple of years now. Looks like it's sort of a one-man band operation.

The lawn bowls clubhouse/heritage building has been settled onto its basement with minimal damage. That project proceeds apace.

And, they've done a big re-do of the paths around the washrooms/garage in Riverdale Park East (at the bottom of the lane). Hopefully they won't stop there but will actually repaint the building -- which is miiiighty uggggly.

The grandiose neo-Classical loo in Withrow Park is quite the temple to evacuation.

I ran into some people on the 504 on Friday night who mentioned that there's a meeting coming up to discuss possible uses for the clubhouse. Not sure when, though.

The Presbyterians are fixing up their church by the look of it - there's a huge metal structure clamped to the tower. Maybe it'll be ablaze with LED lights when they've finished with it - there's no telling what those zany Presbyterians will do given half a chance.

I had no idea the Scientologist had been there so long.

I wonder what the Albany Medical Clinic building will be used for, once they move into the new place designed by &Co? I adore the brutalist concrete work in the entrance stairwell - the preserved imprint of the wooden plank forms used in its creation, and the added patina of grime that only time and the benediction of thousands of grubby, idly caressing hands can bestow on the surface of something.

i've spoken to the Chairman of the BIA and they haven't heard anything about the building's future plans.

Speaking of such retrofits of Brutalist-era architecture, what's in the works for Chester Village at 717 Broadview...

TCHC seniors' home, I believe

Speaking of such retrofits of Brutalist-era architecture, what's in the works for Chester Village at 717 Broadview...

The original re-use for TCHC families-in-transition got NIMBYed, apparently because the kids that go to Frankland wouldn't be able to stand going to school with 'transient' 8-year-olds as Frankland schoolkids are fragile, not because they're middle-class. (My personal guess is that the kids would have done just fine. It's the parents that are idiots.)

So, I believe that it's getting a reno, then going back to being a seniors' home, but now one run by the government, so it'll be much more efficient... :rolleyes:

Condo Critic: What's not to like about Riverdale?

Hume on Riverdale and recent conversion gets an A grade.

November 21, 2009
Christopher Hume
Toronto Star
Link to column

Like many old Toronto neighbourhoods, Riverdale has been a focus of the gentrifying hordes for several decades.

With its fine housing stock, mostly early 20th century, and downtown co-ordinates, it's not hard to understand its appeal. More than that, the area has more than its fair share of green space – Riverdale and Withrow parks come to mind.

But except for the industrial structures farther south, Riverdale has remained largely condo-free. The buildings are almost exclusively lowrise residential, and there are only a few main streets running through the district. In other words, development opportunities are few and far between.

Still, the flavour has changed significantly. A good example is the recent disappearance of a convenience store on Broadview south of Riverdale Ave. It was closed to make way for a cafe, which may seem appropriate but which will exacerbate the area's lack of retail. Indeed, if it weren't for Chinatown East, there would little shopping at all.

Perhaps that's what attracts people; the nearly total residential content of Riverdale makes it feel set slightly apart from the larger community. Though the roar of the city is always audible, the source remains hidden.

Condo Critic

PRINTERS ROW LOFTS, 525 LOGAN AVE.: This adaptive re-use scheme is one of few condo projects in Riverdale. It dates from an earlier era when a few businesses did manage to establish themselves in what is otherwise an overwhelmingly domestic precinct.

This strangely church-like structure fits so well into its context, it's just about invisible. Those who do take the time to stop and look will be rewarded with the prospect of a modest but dignified building that has simple lines and good bones.

Dating from 1911, it was constructed by Bell Telephone, which might explain the big windows and box-like shape.

But in this case, simplicity becomes a virtue. Surrounded on all sides by houses, the three-storey redbrick slab feels right at home. It also provides a welcome note of variety in a neighbourhood that tends to be architecturally homogeneous.

Best of all, perhaps, the renovated structure seems ideally suited to its new use. The transition has been made seamlessly.

Grade: A

There are no elevators in that place, which seems idiotic. The reno architects built themselves a house immediately to the south of it. And when people get bored with going there to kick one another around, I wonder what new use the martial arts studio immediately to the south of that will be put to?

In the almost 20 years I've lived in this neighbourhood, most of the small businesses along Logan have been converted to residential use. Two laundromats and an auto place at the intersection of Riverdale have gone ( and in the '70s there were other places on that strip ... ), the real estate office at the south east corner of Langley is gone, and the store at the south west corner of Withrow sits empty. Evidence of other businesses on Logan is seen at the north west corner of Withrow, the south east corner of Riverdale, and the north east and south west corner of Victor ( all evidence of the latter one was reno'd into oblivion last year ). Only the Riverdale Perk has gone in the opposite direction, by catering to new residents - and I believe they had quite a difficult time in doing so.

ok, Billonlogan, i've got a question for you.

I've been trying for ages to find out info on withrow park ball hockey league, their webpage is a total mess. My son missed out on it last year because we missed registration, so I figured if anyone know you would know.

I played in the league from 1982-1992 and had a blast every year My parents live just across the park and know they'd love to watch thier grandson play there as well. I've emailled them 3 times last year and twice this year and got no response.

Any ideas?

ok, Billonlogan, i've got a question for you.

I've been trying for ages to find out info on withrow park ball hockey league, their webpage is a total mess. My son missed out on it last year because we missed registration, so I figured if anyone know you would know.

I played in the league from 1982-1992 and had a blast every year My parents live just across the park and know they'd love to watch thier grandson play there as well. I've emailled them 3 times last year and twice this year and got no response.

Any ideas?

Its a tough league to register unless your son is a returning player from the previous year. They usually start registration for returning players in February and then open it up to new players soon after. I have seen new players join the league so it is not impossible. The league uses an online registration system and you must pay with credit card. You need to get on as soon as it opens to secure a spot. If there is no space there is a waiting list in case a spot opens up closer to opening day or soon after. I have coached a few teams in the past and usually lose a player or two after the season starts. I will keep you posted closer to registration. Hope this helps.

There are no elevators in that place, which seems idiotic. The reno architects built themselves a house immediately to the south of it. And when people get bored with going there to kick one another around, I wonder what new use the martial arts studio immediately to the south of that will be put to?

In the almost 20 years I've lived in this neighbourhood, most of the small businesses along Logan have been converted to residential use. Two laundromats and an auto place at the intersection of Riverdale have gone ( and in the '70s there were other places on that strip ... ), the real estate office at the south east corner of Langley is gone, and the store at the south west corner of Withrow sits empty. Evidence of other businesses on Logan is seen at the north west corner of Withrow, the south east corner of Riverdale, and the north east and south west corner of Victor ( all evidence of the latter one was reno'd into oblivion last year ). Only the Riverdale Perk has gone in the opposite direction, by catering to new residents - and I believe they had quite a difficult time in doing so.

I recall somewhere, there was an ice making and storage operation on Logan near Riverdale. Its been converted into a residence now. There was also a convenience store on Logan north of Danforth just south of Browning. I recall we used to wait there for our parents on way home from school.

Its a tough league to register unless your son is a returning player from the previous year. They usually start registration for returning players in February and then open it up to new players soon after. I have seen new players join the league so it is not impossible. The league uses an online registration system and you must pay with credit card. You need to get on as soon as it opens to secure a spot. If there is no space there is a waiting list in case a spot opens up closer to opening day or soon after. I have coached a few teams in the past and usually lose a player or two after the season starts. I will keep you posted closer to registration. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info, it's frustrating trying to use their web page. I can't find any place to even register, I'll keep checking weekly after the new year.

Back