News   Jul 22, 2024
 297     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 554     0 

Riding the Ugly Way (Transit Etiquette)

Yes, that's a scan of part of the actual newspaper article. The Province is a tabloid like The Toronto Sun.

I was waiting in line for the streetcar at Spadina today, during rush hour. The line was fairly long. A woman, probably university age, came to the end of the line and had to ask the older woman with her (presumably her mother) why she had to wait in line. She actually said "Is this kindergarten?" The woman with her actually had to explain that there was a line so things would be orderly, and so that people who'd been waiting longer would get on first.

I think there'll always be some kind of etiquette problems on public transit.

If y'all think the TTC is bad, try taking Mississauga Transit. TTC riders actually have decent etiquette compared to MT riders. TTC riders will actually LINE UP for a bus or streetcar. Go to the Mississauga City Centre Bus Terminal at Square One and you'll see not lineups, but BLOBS of people pushing and shoving to get on the bus. It's really sad. You'd think people would be more polite in the suburbs, but no, it's better in Toronto in those terms.

If y'all think the TTC is bad, try taking Mississauga Transit. TTC riders actually have decent etiquette compared to MT riders. TTC riders will actually LINE UP for a bus or streetcar. Go to the Mississauga City Centre Bus Terminal at Square One and you'll see not lineups, but BLOBS of people pushing and shoving to get on the bus. It's really sad. You'd think people would be more polite in the suburbs, but no, it's better in Toronto in those terms.

You are just plain wrong. I see people lining up for MT buses all the time, but it depends on the route. For example, there is always an extremely long and orderly single-file line up for route 7 at the City Centre Terminal, and also for route 89 at the Islington terminal.

Even when there is no line up, I've never seen people pushing and shoving each other like savages to get on a bus, except in front of high schools.

"I think there'll always be some kind of etiquette problems on public transit."

99% of the time someone breaks a rule of etiquette, there is no visible or audible response from the annoyed/angry/disgusted people who witness it.

"You are just plain wrong. I see people lining up for MT buses all the time, but it depends on the route. For example, there is always an extremely long and orderly single-file line up for route 7 at the City Centre Terminal, and also for route 89 at the Islington terminal.

Even when there is no line up, I've never seen people pushing and shoving each other like savages to get on a bus, except in front of high schools."

I wouldn't say his generalization is correct, but he isn't wrong either.

Having used Mississauga Transit extensively, I've really seen no difference in manners/etiquette between their riders and TTC riders.

I actually find the MT drivers worse.

99% of the time someone breaks a rule of etiquette, there is no visible or audible response from the annoyed/angry/disgusted people who witness it.

I'm sure I kind of had a perplexed look/partial laugh, though I didn't make any effort to say anything...it wasn't really necessary since the woman with her explained things. I was just surprised someone couldn't figure out why people need to line up.

I think a lot of people tend not to say anything because they're afraid of the consequences. You never know what people might do, so observers would rather just ignore it and move on instead of escalating the situation.

I've recently discovered a very effective way of expressing my reproach to litterbugs on the subway. I look at them and then stare at the recently discarded trash and then look back at them. I've used this approach three or four times and the litterbug was shamed into picking up their garabage each time.

^I just say "excuse me, you dropped something," as if I am concerned. Typically, the individual looks back at the very least.

More than just an etiquette issue, but I was on a packed Queen streetcar in afternoon rush hour and someone decided they wanted a cigarette. Several people yelled at the perpetrator to put it out or get off. He then decided he wanted to pick a fight with his most vocal opponents, asking them to step outside with him. Several people refused to back down and he got off, but not without a few choice words.

I rode a pretty way, today. I spotted a CIBC bank card on the ground at a subway entrance, picked it up, and took it to the first CIBC branch I came across. I'm a good boy, yes I am, yes I am

[hey, a good samaritan is hard to find. what else could one do? take it to the ticket booth for TTC lost and found? leave it until the lose-ee comes back looking for it? those conscientious-in-their-own-way impulses are understandable, too...]

How about the rat race folks who emerge from the escalator and blindly run, full force for an imaginary subway train that is not yet arrived at the platform.
I had just gotten out of the hospital after 2 days with food poisoning and was smashed to the ground by people charging from the escalators towards the platform where no train was clearly arriving, waiting or departing.

^ lol... I try so hard to hold in my laughter when i see people doing that.

The thing that annoys me the most on the TTC is people who start walking into a train before anyone gets out. If im by the door when this happens, I usually push the person back out, or just walk right in their direction to prevent them from getting in. Everyone then gives the person cut eye as they walk past.

^ Lately, the TTC has become a full contact sport for me...I just yell "move!" and smash into shoulders on purpose if they're being obstinate. Someone's trying to get on the train before I get off? Smash. Two people insist on walking side by side on a sidewalk so they can chat, forcing everyone to either stop and let them pass or walk around them in the snow? Smash!

Back