556     0 

Riding the Ugly Way (Transit Etiquette)

A

AlvinofDiaspar

From the Post:

Riding the ugly way
KELVIN BROWNE, National Post
Published: Thursday, February 08, 2007

The TTC could be the better way if many of its current riders were asked not to use it. These are the people who don't understand public transit etiquette, as well as being not particularly attractive to look at, especially at 7 a.m. Behaviour (and appearance) in public spaces has devolved over the years in Toronto, but nowhere as obviously as on transit. It's not about guns and violence, thank goodness, but we have to change our unsophisticated ways if we want more people to willingly use the TTC.

We can't blame the quality of our TTC experience on TTC employees. Other than in Paris, where a national penchant for condescension and transit workers' powerful unions produce noticeably diffident employees, I detect little difference in employees' attitudes between London, Barcelona or Shanghai and here. But the riders in these cities are better trained than in Toronto. In other words, it's about "us" and how we should improve, not "them."

My TTC issue isn't a list of the ways people are boorish or don't otherwise treat you and me like the princes or princesses we are. It's about how we increasingly tolerate behaviour in public amenities that limits their use because only the most insensitive or those without options will voluntarily use them. Sure, more frequent service, cleaner subway cars and shiny new transit stations will help, but do something about those other riders first.

I'm certainly not proposing more posters in the subway that attempt education. Oh, look, a man dressed like a pig -- what a clever way to teach people not to litter. It doesn't work. Similarly, all those little notices stuck to the doors could be legal disclaimers (don't hold the doors open, don't rush the doors, and so on) rather than the unequivocal instructions about how to use the facilities they should be.

You might expect it's kids who are the most offensive: pierced and with their hoodies on, grubby feet on seats, loud music blaring and little cliques of three using seating for seven.

In reality, the most pervasive offenders are rather angry-looking forty-something women. Typically overweight and spilling out of trendy but unsuitable clothes, the attitude is "My life is hell, so why should yours be any different?"

This group is impatient in line buying tokens and grumble audibly about how long those in front are taking. They barge ahead when subway or bus doors open with a sense of impunity -- "What are you going to do about it mister, hit me?" They have the loudest voices in the car and are the ones most likely to be heard complaining on their cellphones. If they have a package, it's always on the seat next to them and their shrug says it all: "Yeah, well then make me move it."

The worst transit crimes, however, are committed by a small, exclusive category. They're the "otherwise engaged" zombies. Intent on Black Berry or cellphone messages, or a million miles away with ear phones and music so loud you can hear it regardless -- they're always in the way. Get them off the subway and efficiency will skyrocket.

Toronto riders don't have the instincts I've seen elsewhere: Stand right, walk left on escalators. Get back from the door when it opens. Go to the back of the bus. Be concerned that purses, backpacks and bags can smash into others. (Backpacks are a special menace.)

I haven't mentioned the absence of please, thank you, excuse me or I'm sorry. This is everywhere, not just on transit. I said thank you to a fellow rider the other day and got "uh-huh," which is better than the non sequitur "no problem," I suppose.

London transit is superior to ours; the subways in particular are sterling. And my experience with London riders was sublime: Courteous, eager to line up and fully understanding of the central role civility plays in a densely populated city if transit is to function. New York's facilities are not as well-maintained, but the riders very proper, albeit wary.

Who's going to fix this? The TTC. But no more posters. Verbal announcements are helpful. Not just friendly "stand clear of the doors" but strident admonishments to stand back and let people on and off. Or else.

If you had real people barking a few orders to recalcitrant riders, ones that embarrassed offenders, things would soon change. Pick up that litter, move to your right, feet off the seat.

We need our parents in the subway teaching us good manners. A transit experience is not just about hardware or speed but the quality of the ride we give fellow riders.

Kelvin Browne's new urban etiquette column debuts soon in the Post. If you have questions on things that annoy or puzzle you about how other people behave in Toronto -- who's right, wrong or out to lunch--e-mail him at kelvinb@rom.on.ca

Excellent article. Bring on the whips and cattle prods.

AoD

I don’t care much for his complaints about fashion or appearance. As long as people are dressed, cleanish and don’t stink (either smell bad or smell of too much fragrance), I don’t care about appearance.

I also think he’s generous of his descriptions of London and New York riders as compared to the TTC.

He’s half right about the verbal notices. Verbal automated announcements – the nags, are annoying and just don’t work. Getting a real-life annoyed guard on the PA telling people to stand clear at a packed station does work.

But his beefs are the same as mine:
- Stupid ads, oversized labels over the doors and loud nags on the station PAs don’t do shit all.
- People blocking the doors – especially the university students, but by all means, not exclusive
- People with bags on seats, or taking the outer seat and not even positioning in a way to say “take the inside seat if you want itâ€
- Parents with strollers who don’t make any effort to at least position that oversized obstacle away from the front entrance of a bus or from the subway doors.
- I don’t find music from earphones so bad these days, but when they are noticeable, they are very annoying as they are that loud.
- People who refuse to move from the courtesy seats when some people obviously could use them.

Yes, the 40/50 year old women are often the worst during the peak times. The high-school aged goons in groups, taking over the back of the bus and half the usable seats, are the worst during the off-peak, but they are not as common, and on the school runs aren’t that bad in the morning, apart from the fact they can act like a dumb herd of sheep and don’t move back (they are worse in the afternoons, but that’s before I head home from work). The best, surprisingly, are often the 40 year old and older men and the twenty-something females.

I’ve noticed that the pitch has been toned down with the automated announcements. While I still hate the redundancy, pronunciation of Sum-mer-HILLâ€, it’s becoming almost tolerable. Maybe they got enough complaints.

Disclosure:
My bad habits:
- Scrambling to get a good seat on the bus or subway (I don’t take the front and/or courtesy seats though, ever). But at least I don’t shove or push to do so, unlike some.
- Getting ahead of the crowd at a bus stop when boarding the second or third bus that arrives when the first one is packed. I really don’t see anything wrong with it, I just anticipate things quicker. Survival of the savvy. I was the last one at my bus stop, but the first one on a bus, not because I pushed or but in, I just kept walking farther back while everyone else started for the first bus’ doors.

From the Vancouver Province transit etiquette spread a few weeks ago (had the usual stuff too, keep back from the doors; walk left, stand right; remove backpacks; etc.)

365467842_7ac82b338d.jpg

I knew I was in Vancouver when I saw homeless men selling roaches for spare change in front of Broadway-Commerical station.

That is hilarious. I just use my iPod in attempt to drown out the automated annoyance system in the subway. (It has gotten slightly easier as the volume seems to be adjusted in many of the cars to be a tad quieter).

A NYS politican wants to outlaw the use of audio devices in NYC and Buffalo when crossing the street. Not sure if I like that idea, it is hard to enforce common sense.

"They barge ahead when subway or bus doors open with a sense of impunity "

I always wait to the side of the door when boarding a train, but when I'm leaving a train, I'll push my way through, wedging people apart with my arms if I need to...it's always worst at St. George station, sometimes Bloor, where the platforms aren't nearly wide enough.

"(It has gotten slightly easier as the volume seems to be adjusted in many of the cars to be a tad quieter)"

So quiet that I can now confirm the voice says York Mill Station. The voice also pronounces Bloor with 1.5 to 2 syllables.

I don't make a habit of going on the Yonge Line much north of Queen.

How is Bloor pronounced? Blue-ower? York Mill? Where did this this woman come from? At least she doesn't also have a lisp when making her desert-dry announcements.

Oh, yes, I will extend my arms, one as a wedge, the other in a defensive block position when trying to leave a subway train and people are blocking the doors. I get off at Queen northbound, the doors are often packed with Ryerson students positioning themselves to get off at Dundas. A blocked T-1 door might just get a smartass comment. With a H-5, out comes the elbow.

The Orion VIIs can be bad for people using the back door the same as they use subway doors now.

My transit annoyances include those strange creatures who have no shame picking their nose and examining their find, spitting on the platform and my favorite offense, blowing out a wad of nose contents one nostril at a time - without a kleenex.
Definitely "the ugly way"

Oh, yes, that's another thing I've got against the forty and fifty something women. Nail clipping on the bus or subway. I find that to be disgusting in public. Or finding a seat filled with nail clippings.

I don't have a problem with the Summerhill announcements; what got me were the Bloor ones. "Blu-ure station", definately with 2 syllables.

Okay my turn to complain >: ...

-noise devices so loud
-people chatting too loud
-people rushing the doors as they close
-people sitting in the middle of two seats to discourage
people asking for one
-people placing their backpacks there
-wreidos that ask you for directions, change, small talk
-people that cough or sneeze in their hand then hold the
railings immediately afterwards
-people that start preaching religious dreck for no reason
-people that push ahead of you when the bus comes
-conductor announcing the stop we just left as the next stop
and not correcting themselves
-riding for 20+ stops not knowing where you are cause there's
no annoucements and too many standers impeding your vision

Although we have a mispronouncing announcer it beats having none at all any day :D !

" In reality, the most pervasive offenders are rather angry-looking forty-something women. Typically overweight and spilling out of trendy but unsuitable clothes, the attitude is "My life is hell, so why should yours be any different?" "

And I thought I was the only one who'd noticed this unfortunate trend. Really, what the hell is the deal with this demographic? Arguably the most impatient, pushy, inconsiderate and thoroughly self-involved group there is. Almost invariably white and upper-middle class, too.

Theories?

I will audibly warn fellow riders to move to the back... if they don't respond favourably, I will push them out of my way (while saying excuse me, of course). I also have told passengers to give up a seat for people who might require them.

I charge subway doors and stop in front of buses if the driver isn't willing to open the door (there is always room at the back!). If the bus driver attempts to bypass my stop I'll run to the next one and usually I'll give them the guilty look to reprimand them (more often than not I catch the bus at the next stop).

What bugs me the most are riders who don't follow proper positioning (ie. fast traffic left, slow traffic right); the worst abusers are those who pass, but then stay in the left lane thinking that their might not be anyone faster than they...

Back