Toronto Richmond Adelaide Centre: EY Tower | 188.05m | 40s | Oxford Properties | Kohn Pedersen Fox

They certainly weren't. I don't know if it was a case of faded paint, or a coating of grime on top of something more fade resistant, but they certainly weren't this vibrant! It's kind of amazing what we are getting: I doubt anyone would have guessed it!

Is there a way to preserve the paint, such as with wax/oil or some other substance? If no protective layer is applied, how long would the colour last before turning dull?

From this morning.

IMG_8316.JPG
IMG_8317.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_8316.JPG
    IMG_8316.JPG
    268.6 KB · Views: 1,443
  • IMG_8317.JPG
    IMG_8317.JPG
    222.8 KB · Views: 1,416
Is there a way to preserve the paint, such as with wax/oil or some other substance? If no protective layer is applied, how long would the colour last before turning dull?
The wax or oil would itself get dirty, thereby dulling the appearance of the paint beneath. But that said, the number one killer of vibrant colour is UV. Not a great deal you can do about that, particularly with something so exposed to the elements - other than routinely repaint it. The sun bleaches everything. Pigments can only take so much.

The view along Adelaide looking east. From the 34th floor slab extension (before the windows went up). A pretty surreal feeling, looking back at the tower with nothing above.

20160120_093204.jpg

Also, for what it's worth, the best of the heritage restoration won't be visible until the hoarding comes down and the doors are finally open. I haven't seen the final product yet, but from what I hear, there are several restored original ceiling paintings to by JEH McDonald. Also, the frescos on the main entrance archway have not yet been installed.

Attachments

• 20160120_093204.jpg
    20160120_093204.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 866
Last edited by a moderator:
Saturday:

Toronto by Marcus Mitanis, on Flickr

Toronto by Marcus Mitanis, on Flickr

EY Tower by Marcus Mitanis, on Flickr

Not used to seeing all this color on a building that isn't spandrel. Very nice.

So little spandrel I don't even know what to do with myself...

It'd be great if this building could serve as anew high water mark in terms of design for Toronto office towers. From the renderings, I actually thought it'd have a bit more angularity to it, not unlike the Bank of America Tower in NYC (couple images below), but it sure is a vast improvement over the Bay Adelaide Centres of the city.

upload_2016-4-7_9-24-14.png

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/99/Bank_of_America_Tower_001.jpg

upload_2016-4-7_9-25-9.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:OBP_-_Ext_-_42nd_East.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2016-4-7_9-24-14.png
    upload_2016-4-7_9-24-14.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,848
  • upload_2016-4-7_9-25-9.png
    upload_2016-4-7_9-25-9.png
    456.6 KB · Views: 1,853
I agree ADRM the first time i saw this building it reminded me of that one you just showed us in new york city and always has reminded me of it

Back