News   Apr 19, 2024
 315     1 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 623     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.3K     2 

Restaurant Row Threatened

There's no fine dining there now. Just tourist traps.

It's really about the collection of fine buildings, less about the restaurants. They'll continue to change and evolve over time as the market warrants.

I think some of the restaurants there are still nice. Fran's or the Hard Rock are tourist traps. These places are upper-end-ish for those who are going to the theater or enjoying other amenities in the area.

Mirvish's project has four, century-old heritage buildings to be demolished. Not incorporated into the podium, just completely demolished to make way for Ghery's construction paper and egg carton thing.

I'm really disliking the proposal and would prefer for the heritage buildings to be incorporated.

I think some of the restaurants there are still nice. Fran's or the Hard Rock are tourist traps. These places are upper-end-ish for those who are going to the theater or enjoying other amenities in the area.

Fran's is a tourist trap?!

Mirvish's project has four, century-old heritage buildings to be demolished. Not incorporated into the podium, just completely demolished to make way for Ghery's construction paper and egg carton thing.

I'm really disliking the proposal and would prefer for the heritage buildings to be incorporated.

The Mirvish proposal has nothing to do with the buildings on restaurant row.

What Toronto needs is a moratorium on all condos downtown. This vertical sprawl that is destroying downtown now should be in the suburbs instead. If any development is allowed downtown it should be commercial and instutional uses only, and it should be 3 storeys max.

What Toronto needs is a moratorium on all condos downtown. This vertical sprawl that is destroying downtown now should be in the suburbs instead. If any development is allowed downtown it should be commercial and instutional uses only, and it should be 3 storeys max.

You're being facetious right?

My guess is Adam Vaughan will happily endorse this development, but only if the developers discuss the deals with him over multiple fancy dinners... with multiple envelopes...

And the evidence for this claim of accepting graft is where? If you are so worried about improper influence, I would direct you to RF and his foundation.

AoD

While it would be fair to say that Adam Vaughan has been very pro-development, the Kyle Rae of the west downtown, there's no evidence of corruption nor is it fair to make such comments.

While it would be fair to say that Adam Vaughan has been very pro-development, the Kyle Rae of the west downtown, there's no evidence of corruption nor is it fair to make such comments.

Well it is hard to prove these things but, nevertheless, money talks. I really would have thought Vaughan would be against this proposal and was surprised to hear he is for it. What other explaination can there be then?

These condos should all be put in the suburbs. There are no historical buildings there. This can be sold to the people there as then allowing subways to be built in the future since it would then be justified.

Last edited:
Well it is hard to prove these things but, nevertheless, money talks. I really would have thought Vaughan would be against this proposal and was surprised to hear he is for it. What other explaination can there be then?

These condos should all be put in the suburbs. There are no historical buildings there. This can be sold to the people there as then allowing subways to be built in the future since it would then be justified.

I also don't like the idea of this strip being processed eliminated but the suggestion that it should be instead built in the suburbs is ludicris. These buildings will add to an already walkable neighbourhood which has jobs close by. If it was built in the suburbs it would just add to the cars on the street. The suburbs need cheaper taxes to encourage office development. This would do nothing for the suburbs. PLUS if it is to be an attraction then it belongs downtown.

Sorry wrong thread. I thought you were against the gehry proposal. I don't mind if they build atop of these restaurants. I'd just hate to see the buildings disappear for a typical condo base.

Last edited:
But it will have impact and influence on the block's future development.

With so many more people living in the neighbourhood (and not visiting for 3 hours) the restaurants along there should do better.

Why would Vaughan be against a world class development like this in his ward with huge section 37 funds to help improve nearby areas. Any further suggestions of any under-the-table dealings involving Councillor Vaughan better be backed up with verifiable facts.

Do your research, there are plenty of designated buildings outside of downtown. Many of the future rapid transit riders will be funneled into an already near capacity Yonge line and there are no plans for a DRL to help take the pressure off that corridor. Don't get me wrong, the more rapid transit the better but we desperately need a DRL east and west in/out of downtown to help move suburban riders faster and more efficiently.

Back