News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 376     0 

Restaurant Comings & Goings

Musa is temporarily gone due to the fire over the summer. Construction seems to be at a standstill, I'm not sure when they'll be open again but the damages were extensive.

Here are some pics of the damage:

34530_409307895063_505565063_4843237_6573377_n.jpg

20100704-musa-main.jpg

I'm pretty sure the previous tenant in that building was a restaurant called Montana (without the 's) and it was not related to the suburban restaurant chain. Still, either way, it wasn't very good. This new bowling alley sounds kind of cool, though I expect their clientelle will consist of an equal combination of downtown hipsters and pre-club 905ers. It will be the ultimate clash of cultures, avec ping pong. I think we need that.

Yeah, it wasn't related to the chain, and it was bad. And expensive. I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did; must have survived on location alone.

Definitely looking forward to this bowling alley!

That's true, and Montana's is no worse than those.

I guess it shouldn't amaze me that there's actually demand for this crap. The area is heavily patronized by 905ers, who I suppose are intimidated by cool King/Queen St restaurants and perfer this freeway offramp SuperCentre bigboxes just like they have at home. Comfort zone thing.

Most of those "cool" restaurants on Around King/Queen and the theater district are worse than the food at the chains, which is unfortunate because i like to eat at non chain restaurants when dining downtown. The Entertainment/theater district is a horrible place to dine. Oliver & Bonacini's new restaurant Luma at the Lightbox is fantastic! it's a much needed breath of fresh air it's just what that area needed. Some critics during the TIFF compared some of the bad films to Toronto's bad dining scene, Which is unfourtante because Toronto has some phenomenal restaurants you just wont find them in the theater district.

I'm pretty sure the previous tenant in that building was a restaurant called Montana (without the 's) and it was not related to the suburban restaurant chain. Still, either way, it wasn't very good. This new bowling alley sounds kind of cool, though I expect their clientelle will consist of an equal combination of downtown hipsters and pre-club 905ers. It will be the ultimate clash of cultures, avec ping pong. I think we need that.

The Ball Room has painted their building white.
They are also behind the guerilla poster campaign downtown with the, what are in hindsight obviously, bowling scorecard symbols.

Looks like Indigo Masala Room on Avenue Road, north of Bloor is a goner. They already have a new sign up. I think it's going to be called Ceso or Ceno or something like that.

Prime Time Donuts at Adelaide & Sheppard is gone -- to be replaced by a Pizzaiolo, which is rapidly expanding. They are also taking over the old Dacks Shoes at Yonge & Adelaide.

more on the bowling alley

Bowling 2.0: gastropub, microbrews and a hip, downtown location
Katie Daubs
Toronto Star

These men don’t look like bowlers. They sport pocket squares, Italian leather shoes and fitted blazers.

They are Thanos Tripi and Matty Tsoumaris, both involved in Toronto’s nightclub scene, Warren Needler and Andreas Antoniou, who work in film, and Paul Donato, who runs a wealth management firm. Between business meetings on Tuesday, they’re showing off the cavernous building that reeks of varnish as it is transformed into a bowling alley. Kim Mitchell crackles on a radio upstairs, singing of sodas and sobriety.

The Ballroom is slated to open in mid-December at the corner of Richmond and John. It will offer 10 lanes for tenpin bowling, ping pong tables, a gastropub and full service bar. This is bowling for the downtown crowd, complete with an executive chef and an official colour scheme that includes “oxblood.†Cheesy glow-in-the-dark bowling, this is not.

“We’re all young professionals and we know what our demographic wants,†says Antoniou.

The men are hoping to cash in on a shifting landscape of more condos and fewer night clubs in the heart of Toronto. They’re convinced downtowners will be willing to spend their money on bowling shoe rentals instead of tequila shots.

“The main reason I signed on was there’s no competition,†adds Donato.

The last downtown tenpin alley closed more than 30 years ago, said Jim Holmes, of the Greater Toronto Tenpin Bowling Association.

“If I won the lottery, I’d build lanes downtown,†he said.

While two of the alley’s backers are involved with the club scene, the target audience here is less Top 40, more Tom Petty.

The idea for a high-end bowling alley came from Needler and Antoniou’s Los Angeles days, where they worked in film. When Tsoumaris visited, the three university friends spent a lot of time in the city’s bowling hangouts.

When Tsoumaris returned to Toronto, he began looking for the right home for a downtown alley.

“We ran into this great space,†he said.

That was July. Renovations on the 20,000-square-foot building, which was most recently home to Montana nightclub, began in August. The bar is being topped with recycled bowling lanes; pins are being used as light fixtures. Art installations from the Queen West scene are in the works.

The only remnants of the Montana are a dozen toilets sitting on the patio. (“Our New York style washrooms,†Donato jokes.)

“It was very dark and nightclubby,†Tripi says as he walks around upstairs. “That’s not what we are.â€

The Ballroom will be open from 11 a.m. until 2 a.m., leaving plenty of time for league play and corporate events between hipster nights. Tawfik Shehata, formerly of Vertical, will be chef.

The Ballroom team has poured $4 million into the Toronto location and has plans for a national rollout in other major Canadian cities.

Pricing is still being determined but Tripi said it will be in line with other boutique alleys. (Lucky Strike, an upscale alley in Vaughan, charges $45 per hour per lane, and $65 per hour per lane on weekends after 9 p.m.)

Ajith Balakuganathan, the manager of the Bathurst Bowlerama, doesn’t see the downtown lanes as competition.

“They’re going to get a lot of customers, people who are tired of going to clubs every day,†he said. “Might as well try something else.â€

http://www.thestar.com/news/article...b-microbrews-and-a-hip-downtown-location?bn=1

The word "gastropub" is such an abomination, the thought of having dinner at one turns my stomach.

But gastropubs and bowling are cool and trendy! If you go to them you'll be cool and tredy too! The TV show that told me what I'm supopsed to think said so! I am cool and trendy, right? Please tell me I'm cool..... TELL ME I'M COOL!

We should start a UT bowling team for members to blow off steam toppling pins shaped as skyscrapers we don't like.

Back