News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 318     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 875     0 

Restaurant Comings & Goings

presence in Ontario, many years after abandoning their only City location at Front/Simcoe.

I really liked the store-made tortilla chips, the salsa was ok, but needed a bit more kick; regrettably, the rest of the menu was pretty uninspired.
A funny anecdote about that Lonestar location... The night Barack Obama won the U.S. Presidency, the "GOP Supporters of Canada" party was held there. I suppose it wasn't much of one.

Last edited:
...but in all fairness, even though A&W is competition to Burger King, there is this illusion (?) that RBI & A&W are actually friends, doing friendly competition simply by having a Popeyes and A&W side by side instead of intentionally placing a Burger King next door to an A&W (or close enough to...)
& there's an awful high number of them (Popeyes and A&W) close together in Toronto.

Last edited:
...but in all fairness, even though A&W is competition to Burger King, there is this illusion (?) that RBI & A&W are actually friends, doing friendly competition simply by having a Popeyes and A&W side by side instead of intentionally placing a Burger King next door to an A&W (or close enough to...)
& there's an awful high number of them (Popeyes and A&W) close together in Toronto.

I wonder if Burger King has a single dominant franchisee in Canada.............hmmmm

I wonder if Burger King has a single dominant franchisee in Canada.............hmmmm

Interesting that Redberry has itself since been acquired. However, I did see on their website they are dominant only regionally as they have no franchises for BK or their other big brand Taco Bell west of Winnipeg.

Apparently they used to have 27 Pizza Hut locations in Alberta but sold them all.

They show they have plans to open 300 Jersey Mikes franchises "across Canada", and already have the first two, though again both are in Ontario.

The Black Bull Tavern at Queen West & Soho is closing next week on April 3, 2024:

Controversial opinion, but the place was not great. Dated and unimpressive interior, utterly bland food, and very disappointing beer selection (there's no excuse for that these days). They made no effort to update a single thing over the decades. Only the epic patio kept this place appealing for so long. With any luck, a much cooler spot will take its place, but knowing Toronto, it'll probably be a freakin' corporate Firkin pub...

Controversial opinion, but the place was not great. Dated and unimpressive interior, utterly bland food, and very disappointing beer selection (there's no excuse for that these days). They made no effort to update a single thing over the decades. Only the epic patio kept this place appealing for so long. With any luck, a much cooler spot will take its place, but knowing Toronto, it'll probably be a freakin' corporate Firkin pub...
They also didn't accept any cards last time I was there... Cash only? Was taken aback.

It was definitely one of those places you only went to the for the patio.

Or a King Taps/Earls type of place.

Rumor going around is Score On King has bought the place. So they will turn it into an expensive, loud trashy sports bar. :( I think i would rather have a Firkin pub!

Score is a mini Canadian chain. They got another location in Vancouver as well.

Rumor going around is Score On King has bought the place. So they will turn it into an expensive, loud trashy sports bar. :( I think i would rather have a Firkin pub!

Score is a mini Canadian chain. They got another location in Vancouver as well.
Well if that is true, then at least it's not about to become a Rexall like they did to a bar (with history) on Bloor...only to have a very short life. Now it's sadly a Value Village store.

Back