News   Apr 25, 2024
 238     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 775     2 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 798     0 

Restaurant Comings & Goings

The Beaver at Queen West near Gladstone has closed after 14 years. Although staff hope to reopen somewhere else in the future.

Last edited:
Crepe Cafe at Queen West & John, has closed after almost 20 years:

I'm kind of amazed it lasted as long as it did (even before the pandemic) - I never knew of a single person that ever ate there, and there was never any online buzz.

I'm kind of amazed it lasted as long as it did (even before the pandemic) - I never knew of a single person that ever ate there, and there was never any online buzz.

I went there once around 10 years ago. It was alright but not something that I'd go back to or recommend. I believe a large portion of their customer base are tourists or 905'ers who come hang out downtown during the weekend or after a sporting event. So yeah, business definitely taking a major hit from that not happening right now.

I have to agree. I worked across the street for almost 10 years and never knew a single coworker who who went there, and anytime we had to think of somewhere to have lunch or grab a bite, it was never a consideration!

I went there once around 10 years ago. It was alright but not something that I'd go back to or recommend. I believe a large portion of their customer base are tourists or 905'ers who come hang out downtown during the weekend or after a sporting event. So yeah, business definitely taking a major hit from that not happening right now.

I ate there once a few years ago, it was good but i find crepes in general all the same, just overrated pancakes.

I think Covid is going to thin out the restaurant scene, the specialty, gimmicky cafe/restaurants will be the first to go, like Creperie's, cup cake cafes, macaroon cafe's, poutine places, overpriced frozen yogurt places, and even the Poop Cafe! I will be shocked if that place is around a year from now.

I ate there once a few years ago, it was good but i find crepes in general all the same, just overrated pancakes.

I think Covid is going to thin out the restaurant scene, the specialty, gimmicky cafe/restaurants will be the first to go, like Creperie's, cup cake cafes, macaroon cafe's, poutine places, overpriced frozen yogurt places, and even the Poop Cafe! I will be shocked if that place is around a year from now.

Yeah, the Poop Cafe relies on a lot of families, teens, and groups for hang outs and parties. So with indoor social distance guidelines and outings like this just being a lesser of a priority, places like that are definitely going to suffer. This will be the case for board game cafes as well like the Snakes & Lattes chain.

While the other cafe and bakery places downtown will be affected by the lack of post secondary students around with classes going virtual. Poutini's on Queen West has already closed. They used to be popular late night spot, but not really possible to survive without the usual bar/club crowds.

Last edited:

Back