Residences of Maple Leaf Square Condos (Lanterra Developments) - Real Estate -

Vultur, you are an idiot. You will soon come to realize when all is said and done how much of an impact this development will have for the area and what an amazing experience it is to actually own a suite there.

Inferior condo? Cadillac Fairview, Lanterra and MLSE are definately NOT going cheap with the project.

What you really need to do is get that stick out of your ass. It seems to me you just have this hate towards MLSE so you automatically dismiss anything associated with them.

Seriously, you have to concede the humor in this development. Where is the appeal to live besides a sports complex? Only in Toronto!

But they're not just living near a sports complex. They're living near two sports complex's, the biggest transit hub in the country, the downtown core, the waterfront...no matter how you slice it, it's a good location. You may not think so, but it's kind of silly that you can't see why others would think so.

I'd also add that almost every single project has some ridiculous branding angle - whether it plays on another city or some bizzare over the top theme (this is true in every city). At least in this case the project is based on a brand that is true to Toronto and is a lot more truthful than others.

What I see here is essentially a poor man's Time Warner Center in Columbus Circle. Instead of Whole Foods they get Longos. Instead of the Mandarin Oriental they get some non-branded place. Instead of Jazz at Lincoln Center they get a concert hall. Instead of views of Central Park they get...THE GARDINER EXPRESSWAY!

It's funny...you're trying to criticize the city and the people who bought into it because of the project's branding. Now you're complaining that it's a sub-par project in part because of a lack of branding. Which one is it?

Typical Toronto underachievers sold to the same herd of sheep would probably bought in Phase I, II-IX of the infamous City Place. At least there you'll get some peace and quiet when you come home, as opposed to a drunken Leaf fan looting the furniture in your lobby after yet another season without making the playoffs!

Cityplace is right beside the Rogers Centre.

As for the renderings of the square...I'm not impressed.

And since when is criticism in a public forum a crime? It is more interesting than sitting around and falling over each other to compliment the developers on their inferior buildings!

1 St. Thomas is gorgeous, as is the new Hazelton.

Feel better now?
Funny how you chose those two buildings. Is the message here that MLS is "inferior" because it's "modern" in style?

Who really would want to live immediately adjacent to a sports arena that 2x week minimum will draw 15,000 spectators past your front door? Even the idea is madness!

And Maple Leaf Gardens had no one living nearby? Everyone in CityPlace living within sight of the SkyDome must also be mad.

The site wouldn't be among my top choices for a condo location, but not because of the arena.

Funny how you chose those two buildings. Is the message here that MLS is "inferior" because it's "modern" in style?

I should clarify- I don't think it is necessarily an awful project. The Conservatory disaster on the other side of Bay is far more offensive to the eye than this one appears to be...not that one would expect anything approaching quality design from Conservatory...however, it is the outlandish prices that this 'Go Leafs Go!' were fooled into paying that I choose to laugh at and frankly dismiss as nothing but great marketing. Whoever pointed out that earlier was spot on- it isn't the people who don't want to live there that there are marketing to; yet, it is the off-shore crowd that it is buying the suites (courtesy of the big Toronto brokerage firms with connections to off-shore syndicates) and when the project finally opens and investors realize that their $500 per square suites will only rent for $1200 a month watch the dumping begin.

And Maple Leaf Gardens had no one living nearby? Everyone in CityPlace living within sight of the SkyDome must also be mad.

The site wouldn't be among my top choices for a condo location, but not because of the arena.

MLG is in the heart of the city. This project is at the edge and is in a massive wind tunnel worsened by the barrage of spaced out towers surrounding it. Living near MLG would make far more sense and the projects up there would have held their value over time even if the Leafs were still there as the heart of the city continues to thrive. College Park is a far superior development to this one, if for no other reason than the location. Yet, I understand (please correct me if I am mistaken) that prices for this project are significantly higher.

For the record, the people are CF shake their heads at the sales figures at this project. They are as dumbfounded as I am.

What's next- the Tim Horton's Tower?

I love the design of the new Four Seasons project, although I also shake my head at the reported pricing.

I am also very fond of the Minto Midtown project, the firing of SOM notwithstanding. It has a great relationship to the street and is density in the exact location that it should be.

=============
866 residential units in a 50 and 54 storey glass and precast towers.
-0000h, another glass and pre-cast tower, that's unqiue
Tall, dominant towers at that. Not very many 50 and 54 storey residences in this city.

20,000 square foot roof top garden and pool for residents
-rooftop pool, never seen one of those!
20,000 sq ft IS NOT common. How many others condos in this city have that?

140,000sf sports and entertainment themed hotel with 171 rooms
-thought Hotel Germain was going there- that would be cool
Last I heard it is - though why "Germain" is 'cooler' than any other hotel that may take the space, before it's been announced or constructed is beyond me. Oh, right, cause Germain isn't from the shitty city of Toronto!

6,000 sf five star restaurant
-big deal
Big deal indeed. There's just too many condos with five star restaurants attached these days. Those things are notorious for lowering property values.

20,000 sf high-tech sports bar and restaurant
-wow, more go leafs go 24/7- sounds like a dream come true
What sport fan wouldn't love to catch a game (Leafs or other) in a greate sports bar atmosphere than stagger up the elevator home afterwards completely shit-faced without having to worry about driving??

170,000 sf retail space on three levels including 48,000 sf Longo's grocery store
-Longo's is a benefit, I concede that point readily, but what else is going in there? Regardless, it's an indoor mall, not too exciting
Indoor malls, not exciting at all. Indoor malls attached to my condo - convenient.

9,000 sf Leafs, Raptors and Marlies store
-even more go leafs go!
For the tourists and suburbans

2,000 sf broadcast studio
-just what you want when you come home from a long day's work
As if this would have any effect on you coming home after a long day's work.

60,000 sf concert hall with 2,000 seats
-again, why would anyone want to live next to this?
Culture and entertainment. Who needs it.

50,000 sf office space
-benefit how?
Uhh, property values??

6,000 sf day care with 3,000 sf dedicated outdoor space
-day care is good
It can't hurt and could help a lot.

4 levels of ug parking with 870 spaces
-PERFECT! I want to wait 45 minutes for the valet to retrieve my car from level 4!
Okay, you do that. I'll be happy with one of the countless bicycle spots MLS will be providing.

=============

Seriously, you have to concede the humor in this development. Where is the appeal to live besides a sports complex? Only in Toronto!

The only humour I see is that you think people are purchasing for that reason.

What I see here is essentially a poor man's Time Warner Center in Columbus Circle. Instead of Whole Foods they get Longos. Instead of the Mandarin Oriental they get some non-branded place. Instead of Jazz at Lincoln Center they get a concert hall. Instead of views of Central Park they get...THE GARDINER EXPRESSWAY!

Typical Toronto underachievers sold to the same herd of sheep would probably bought in Phase I, II-IX of the infamous City Place. At least there you'll get some peace and quiet when you come home, as opposed to a drunken Leaf fan looting the furniture in your lobby after yet another season without making the playoffs!

Seriously - do you have a sheep fetish? You continually talk about them. Did you ever consider that it isn't about "typical Toronto underachievers" and that it's more about your view on life and your own personal status or state of mind? Don't confuse that for the way the 'average' Torontonian lives or is.

Edit:
Also, at $500/sq ft - that's not much more than the typical development, which is around the $400/sqft+ range anyways.

MLG is in the heart of the city. This project is at the edge and is in a massive wind tunnel worsened by the barrage of spaced out towers surrounding it. Living near MLG would make far more sense and the projects up there would have held their value over time even if the Leafs were still there as the heart of the city continues to thrive. College Park is a far superior development to this one, if for no other reason than the location.

You said people are mad to want to live at MLSE because it's close to the ACC. It's kind of silly to say MLSE is bad because there's crowds of people nearby and then to say Yonge & College is good because it's at the heart of the city...meaning there's crowds of people nearby. As you mention, there's other factors (for example, I wouldn't want to live right next to the Gardiner), but I was just pointing out that proximity to the arena is not one of them.

Personally, I doubt many people who bought into project did so because they were a huge leafs fan or because of the sporting and the entertainment theme surrounding the project. I believe many bought it for what the condo provides which is the location, and the amenities within the project. Yes the price was little high when they first sold but so were all the other projects around the waterfront area. And vultur, I don't have any problem with your criticism or your opinion about this project that's why we have this forum. Heck there are some projects around Toronto I don't like either.

They now have columns of rebar up and ready for concrete in the northwest
corner. There was also a truck with a large delivery of rebar on the street
this morning.

Personally, I doubt many people who bought into project did so because they were a huge leafs fan or because of the sporting and the entertainment theme surrounding the project. I believe many bought it for what the condo provides which is the location, and the amenities within the project. Yes the price was little high when they first sold but so were all the other projects around the waterfront area. And vultur, I don't have any problem with your criticism or your opinion about this project that's why we have this forum. Heck there are some projects around Toronto I don't like either.

I'll tell you who bought into this project for such outrageous prices- specuvestors from overseas who were lured there by the aggressive syndicate groups who have them convinced that the Toronto market- with 15,000 new condo sales per year- is a guaranteed home run investment.

At $300 per square foot I would agree that it might pencil out as a rental property. At $500 per square foot they will get killed.

This is the same trend that killed the miami condo market people. Watch and learn.

The illogic of this development is just striking. Who really would want to live immediately adjacent to a sports arena that 2x week minimum will draw 15,000 spectators past your front door? Even the idea is madness!

I guess the development is so illogical that MLSE has hosted delegations from a number of other NHL/NBA ownership groups including the Miami heat and Dallas stars that are carefully examining the development concept to see if they can pull of the same thing.

vultur was being an ass at ssc too. In the end we decided he was entitled to have his own "freaky" view of the Toronto condo market.

I'll tell you who bought into this project for such outrageous prices- specuvestors from overseas who were lured there by the aggressive syndicate groups who have them convinced that the Toronto market- with 15,000 new condo sales per year- is a guaranteed home run investment.

Do you realize that Toronto draws in 100,000 immigrants a year. Where do you think they are going to live. Housing has to be built to accomodate. Why not the most popular type? (i.e condo housing)

vultur was being an ass at ssc too. In the end we decided he was entitled to have his own "freaky" view of the Toronto condo market.

Do you realize that Toronto draws in 100,000 immigrants a year. Where do you think they are going to live. Housing has to be built to accomodate. Why not the most popular type? (i.e condo housing)

Let's assume your 100,000 number is correct (please provide some proof of it if you can). Average newcomer household is what, 3 people? That leaves 33,000 new households a year. So just under half of them are buying shoebox condominiums for $360 per square foot. Yup, sounds reasonable.

Typically new immigrants rent apartments for a while until they get settled in a new city. But rents have barely budged in the GTA in 6 years. I wonder why? Could it be because of the all the specuvestor condos that are being dumped on the rental market?

What do you do for a living Caltrane? Let me guess, you flip pre-sale condos.

Back