2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 555     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Regent Park Phase 3 General

The neighbours aren't happy - I saw these in Cabbagetown this morning

WcbFltM.jpg

Love these alarmist notices. It's like newspaper headlines. 17,500 people crammed into social housing high-rises!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh, my :rolleyes:

This is a lot to dig through haha, but thank you for the update. The changes seem decent and reasonable. Looks like sometime in 2014 that the buildings for Phase 3a will be demo'd.

Some very quick highlights:

180 Sackville (rental building) has a targeted occupancy of 2015, with 75 RGI replacement units and 40 new affordable rent ones.

To ease the transition from Cabbagetown, building heights along Gerrard have been reduced, including reducing the number of storeys for the tower at Parliament/Oak from 38 to 20, the height of the mid-rises fronting Gerrard droppiung from 30m/10 storeys to 22m/6 storeys.

A tower initially proposed for the SW corner of Gerrard and River has been moved south to the NW corner of River/Oak.

The building at the SW corner of River/Oak will be 10 instead of 16 storeys.

The townhomes immediately north of the Athletic Grounds will now face the park (rather than back onto it), while the Athletic Grounds themselves will be almost 1 hectare larger than initially proposed.

The Athletic Grounds will also go through a separate public consultation and to the DRP.

The housing ratio will go from a 60% market to 40% social housing, to a 70-30 ratio

Construction on the community centre is slated to commence this month, and will be 60,000 square feet.

The intersections of River/Dundas and Gerrard/Parliament have been proposed as sites for gateway public art pieces.

334 trees will be planted as part of phase 3, as per this layout:

Capture2.jpg

Capture.jpg

WcbFltM.jpg

I saw these too. So stupid.

As a Cabbagetown resident (Spruce and Sword) I have to say I can't wait for this revitalization. It's going to be gorgreous and I'm all for mixed income communities. It will only make the entire area nicer and more desirable.

Any idea when Phase 5 will start/be completed?

Doubling of original densities iirc. Nimbies do have a point: eventually these investor owned condos will turn into another Jamestown.

So tired of the 'another Jamestown' garbage. Show me 'another Jamestown' anywhere in Toronto that has happened since the original one. Toronto has learned from that mistake and builds communities differently now. Can we please move on?

Application: Demolition Folder (DM) Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5T 1H6

Ward 28: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 13 281017 DEM 00 DM Accepted Date: Dec 23, 2013

Project: Apartment Building Demolition

Description: Proposal to demolish a series of high-rise & mid-rise apartment buildings and townhouses in Regent Park (total of 379 dwelling units). This demo permit includes the following addresses: 1-35 Blevins Place, 2-24 Blevins Place, 30-52 Blevins Place, 685-699 Dundas St E, 120-128 River St, 42-56 Wyatt Walk, 490-504 Shuter St, 506-520 Shuter St, 80-106 River St, 595-619 Whiteside Place, 33-55 Wyatt Walk, and 108-112 River St. NOTE: SEE ATTACHED SUMMARY SHEET FOR BREAKDOWN SHOWING # OF RESIDENTIAL UNITS, STY'S, BLOCK #, AND GFA. Also see Demo permit for North Regent Park (620 Dundas St E 13 281030 )

Good to see the project is proceeding at Regent Park.
I wonder whether the city has the appetite to correct the mistake it made at Moss Park as well?

In anticipation of Phase 3 being formally approved early this year, the first families will be relocated by March 31st (see attached map on last page). TCHC expects new rental towns to start construction by the end of this year and completed in 2015. Many families will be relocated; as well as a lot of demolition this year. Phase 2 and Phase 3 will be under construction at the same time.

http://www.torontohousing.ca/webfm_send/10042/1

WcbFltM.jpg

Some people have so much nerve. Can you imagine Regents Park residents putting up a warning that they'll have to live next to a few thousand wealthy spoiled people who'll look down at them at every chance they get? Lord forbid if one of these uppity Cabbagetown residents actually said 'hello' to the people across the street.

Some people have so much nerve. Can you imagine Regents Park residents putting up a warning that they'll have to live next to a few thousand wealthy spoiled people who'll look down at them at every chance they get? Lord forbid if one of these uppity Cabbagetown residents actually said 'hello' to the people across the street.

No, I believe the concern here is valid. The developer is proposing to repeat the mistakes of the past by creating another social housing ghetto. The point of the R.P. revitalization was to make it a mixed community, not do this. It sounds like they are attempting to fill the quota here, so they can get higher market rates for the core part of their project.

Last edited:

Back